Menu

History shows/documentary recs for 1st grade?

displace

We're listening to SOTW and I'm considering tying in some shows for DS6 to watch. But I don't want anything too violent or graphic. We're already starting the second book but very lightly engaged. We just listen to the CDs in the car and sometimes talk about them. I know this being the hive there has to be an easy resource, right? :). Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Would this be for Ancients? And, where will you be getting your movies from? Some can be hard to come by (and too expensive) unless you have a well-stocked library.

Two good series for that age set.

For Ancients:

V7150_product.jpg

Ancient Aztec Empire  
Ancient Aztec: The Fall of the Empire  
Ancient Aegean  
Ancient Africa  
Ancient China  
Ancient Egypt  
Ancient Greece  
Ancient Inca  
Ancient Maya  
Ancient Mesopotamia

http://www.libraryvideo.com/product.asp?sku=V7150&mscssid=W6Q25FK0UHNT9L3U4J6WFFJDM6XP986B

For Middle Ages:

V6228_product.jpg

Doctor, The  
History of the Middle Ages, A  
Knight, The  
Merchant, The  
Monk, The  
Noble, The  
Serf, The  
Social Structure in the Middle Ages 

More for Ancients...

Hercules - Disney

Joseph: King of Dreams - Dreamworks

The Prince of Egypt - Dreamworks

IMAX Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs - Image Entertainment

IMAX The Mysteries of Egypt - National Geographic Films and Destination Cinema

"The Trojan Horse" cartoon by Mel-O-Toons - YouTube

Building the Great Pyramid - BBC from Netflix (Quickly noting that there was one discreet sexual innuendo in this documentary but it went way over DD's head. Also, there was a brief but not-too-intense death scene.)
Stories from the Stone Age: Daily Bread - the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (We watched parts 1-4.)
Bill Nye the Science Guy: Fossils (There's another for archaeology that we didn't get to watch.)
The Magic School Bus: Super Sports Fun DVD (Shows and Tells episode) - Scholastic (This is about archaeology.)

Possibly Cave of Forgotten Dreams by MPI HOME VIDEO. I had to wait for the DVD and then we were past the unit, so we didn't end up watching it.

Possibly Walking With Cavemen, but I didn't care for the male nudity (I have a DD, though) and they aren't cave dwellers. Would fit better for the study of prehistory.

There are links to each on my blog.

• 3 weeks later...