Menu

Teaching Textbooks - The Textbook

Is it really needed? Is it used at all or are only the DVDs needed?

If you use it, how do you use it. I thought it was all on the computer?

I did have TT once, but honestly I don't remember. We had the self grading and I know I didn't use the textbook at that time but now my kids want to go back to it. So I don't know if I actually need the book or can just use the DVDs.

Thanks all!

I didn't use mine all that much to start with, but I liked having it to look things up and to copy problems out for him as needed.  I think the general idea (from TT) is that you would go over the lesson in the book first, then the kids would do the lesson on the computer and write their answers in the book. I want to re-use the book, so I just have him use separate paper.

I went most of the year with TT5 just having him do everything on the computer, but towards the end he was having a harder time with it so I started reading through the lesson with him first and then sent him to the computer, which worked better.  I plan to do the same with TT6. This is for a pretty math-resistant kid though, you might be able to get by without the textbook if your kids don't need much hand-holding or help.

We used levels 4, 5, 6, and just started level 7.   I bought the book the first time we used TT, and we did not need it.  I plan on buying it when we get to the upper levels, just in case. 

IMHO, you don't need the textbook with the lower levels.

My opinion, the book is essential.  How do I know?  I didn't feel it was necessary with my oldest, he was getting good grades on the computer so why bother, right?  Well then he went to PS where he needed to show his work, he basically refused and barely kept his head above water because he was forever being docked points based on lack of work. 

With my next one coming up through, the workbook is required for every lesson.  She watches the lecture, does the workbook, I then check it, she fixes all errors and we discuss what went wrong, then she enters her answers in the computer.  I see better retention doing this.

At the very least I would require every single problem be written out and all work shown.  The way the TT computer program is written, it's very easy to fake understanding (something else I learned the hard way.... and why so many say that TT failed their kids).

My opinion, the book is essential.  How do I know?  I didn't feel it was necessary with my oldest, he was getting good grades on the computer so why bother, right?  Well then he went to PS where he needed to show his work, he basically refused and barely kept his head above water because he was forever being docked points based on lack of work. 

With my next one coming up through, the workbook is required for every lesson.  She watches the lecture, does the workbook, I then check it, she fixes all errors and we discuss what went wrong, then she enters her answers in the computer.  I see better retention doing this.

At the very least I would require every single problem be written out and all work shown.  The way the TT computer program is written, it's very easy to fake understanding (something else I learned the hard way.... and why so many say that TT failed their kids).

I have my daughter write out every single problem on scrap paper.   It's worked extremely well for us.   Much cheaper than the textbook :) !

If you want the textbook and can afford it, it's great.   But if you are trying to save some money, I still say you don't need the textbook in the lower levels but you do need to have your child write out the problem.