Menu

Inexpensive ideas for friend's 50th birthday

ThisIsTheDay

A good friend is turning 50 next week.  I would like to do something special to mark her day, but I don't have much money to spend. I'd like to keep it under $10 if possible.

Last year for my 50th, she brought me a lovely flower bouquet.  It was so sweet, and I loved it. I can't reciprocate in the same way, but I need ideas on what I might do.

THANK YOU in advance! I'm looking forward to hearing any suggestions!

How about a nice scented hand lotion? You can get a cheap gift bag and spend the rest on the lotion. I think there are some priced under $10 at Bath and Body, or whatever that place is called. My sister gave me a scented hand wash for Mother's Day that is really nice.

My mom and her sisters did 50 of 50 for each of their 50th birthdays.  The gathered 50 of 50 different items and wrapped each grouping individually.  They then mailed them to the birthday girl (since they live 1000's of miles apart) and they always loved seeing what they each came up with.  Some of the things that they gathered 50 of were paper clips, pop can tabs, push pins, rubber bands, tootsie rolls, 50 memories each written on an individual post-it, deck of cards (of course, not a full deck so random cards from various decks work), Cheerios, gum, grains of rice, toothpicks, and so many more that I cannot remember.  Of course, everything was placed in a ziploc bag so 50 ziplocs was one of the items.  I plan on doing this for my best friend when she turns 50 next year. 

consider a grocery store bouquet of flowers. You may find a bouquet in your price range, there and add a dollar store vase. That is if you want to give flowers as well.

Other ideas, candle, lotion, stationary and nice pen, chocolate bar, dessert, a framed photo of you two...

What does she like? For a friend who loves flavored instant coffee drinks I repurposed a cute basket and made 3 flavors of homemade instant coffee mix (I found the recipes online) in little pint jars also repurposed from my kitchen. I added a dollar store coffee mug and arranged it all in the basket. It was inexpensive for me but also very personalized for her. If your friend has something she really likes you could maybe make a similar gift.

Does she have a favorite chocolate treat?

For a friend's 50th, I put 50 little candy bar bites in a canning jar.

This way, she could have little treats, but not just completely blow her diet.

I'd also suggest a heart-felt letter, sharing some of your favorite memories, and how she has specifically helped you over the years.

Something she'll want to save & re-read when she needs encouragement.