Menu

Recognizing your child's weaknesses

I think this is harder with an advanced child. Abby grasps math quickly and in the context of the lesson, flies through problems. She's done multiple years of Singapore, MEP, and even a year of Beast Academy. I'm very strong mathematically.

This summer I'm having her work through a MIF 3a workbook as review and she is still throwing fits over simple things she's flown through previously. (7x7?!).

So, I think I am coming to the realization that she is not going to be a conceptual, out-of-the box thinker when it comes to math. She understands algorithms and needs to be introduced to them and enjoys the step-by-step procedure of each one. She doesn't enjoy thinking of math problems or working it in three different ways like her brother or myself.

She's been ahead with her math for years, but I think that's a result of being just generally bright/gifted, not because he shows a huge aptitude for math.

So, I think this year we are going to use Teaching Textbooks (gasp!) for a more self-directed, confidence-building year of math. She'll do double-time in Math 4 until we find where she fits in, but I'm still feeling like this is a demotion in math.

A program that is mom-supervised, but more self-directed, and maybe will help her realize she IS good at math will be better for her than other more in-depth programs that she just doesn't care about.

Then why do I feel like I'm choosing a sub-par option? This stuff is tough!

I hear you.

For some reason, basic number bonds keep on falling out of CP's head. He can apply concepts once I tell him, but rarely thinks of them himself. Challenging word problems can often make him go wwwaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!! So, while he's "ahead," maybe he's not actually that great at math. So where is that sweet spot for kids who can pick up new concepts easily, but don't spend their free time contemplating the inner workings of mathematics?

I had been using MM as a "review" for BA, and to continue to practice number bonds (because he can only think of them if they are in a hundreds or thousands or more  :confused1: ). But just this morning in the shower I was contemplating if I should reverse them, and use BA as the "review and dive." We just started up this year last week, it's not too early to retool my math plans for the year yet, right?

I'm not sure what you do with kids like this. I also know that I've got five kids and can't sit on top of her to complete every. math. problem. I think double time TT will allow her to be motivated, let it be a bit easy/fun at the beginning, but move faster like she needs. We plan on keeping Beast Academy too so I don't feel like we're losing out too much.

Still, it's frustrating. I'd guess it was normal kid progression, but I've not had any issue with her brother completing level-appropriate math in a timely fashion. If she wants to take forever with TT, that's on her time.

My 7 y.o. daughter's weakness is math -she is a visual learner, very accelerated with verbal/reading/science, etc. -with Math, let's just say it's not her favorite subject and she would never ever do it if I didn't require it.  

After trying every math program on the planet (pretty much) - we settled on TT - she is in 5th grade TT - last year she did TT3 and TT4, as well as Reflex Math (she LOVED that ) to memorize her multiplication/division tables.

I don't think TT is an ideal math program - but honestly, she loves being on the computer - and it's good enough for us for now.  She sits in the same room as me when she does it, so I can see/hear when she misses a problem.  Then, I go over and work with her on that concept.  She writes everything out on paper before she enters it into the computer.  

We also do Life of Fred, which is a HUGE hit in our house.  We actually do it for my 5 year old at bedtime - and my 7 year old loves it so much that she sits alongside and participates, as well.  Life of Fred really brings the joy to math - we have done several of the elementary books with my 5 y.o. - and her grasp of math is pretty great...but I think she's pretty naturally inclined towards math.

For me, a lot of my teaching has been geared towards figuring out what type of curriculum works best for each child and whether or not the child is a visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learner - I have found that their areas of strength usually line up with their learning style...but I am still figuring all that out! LOL

This is really helpful. Thanks for posting!

I remember being surprised when my oldest started K, realizing that "duh" she is probably gifted like I am. The problem I have discovered is that she IS probably gifted, but NOT like I am. Math is the trickiest part for me right now. She is much better at seeing and getting numbers than I am. (I am a theoretical concepts person, who my family jokes can't count) Multiple concepts is frustrating for dd1, because at this young age she gets it the way she sees it, and the other ways confuse her. This post has really opened up my mind to considering using or supplementing with "sub-par" options, that might help. :)

Because really, an option is not sub-par if it is what works for your kid!

DD's weakness is that she is lazy and unmotivated in subjects that aren't her area of interest. She is a perfectly bright math student but she doesn't see the point of putting in the effort required when there isn't a "real world" application outside of a STEM field. Unfortunately, she has passed the point of what even most college graduates actually use. That is one of the big attractions of early college- she would just need to take College Algebra and one stats class and that would be it for her desired major.