Menu

How did you use Fallacy Detective?

Did you read this together with your child and answer questions together, or assign it to them and check their answers? I'd like to do this with my 4 kids and wondered if each needs a copy and if I need one and how best to cover the material with them for best results. Thanks for any input you may have!

I did FD together with my dd#1 a couple of years ago & plan on doing it with dd#2 this year. We take turns reading aloud from the chapter, then go through the questions  -- one of us reading the questions & taking a shot at the answer, then switching. I think you can do it with just one book - sharing among yourselves.

DD#1 loved FD / logical fallacies. We moved onto Art of Argument last year (with some friends). She didn't like that one as much as she liked FD, but there was a lot more information in AoA. It reinforced & built on FD's stuff. We liked the rabbit trails that we sometimes ended up on.

• 5 weeks later...

My seventh graders each read it separately and then we discuss it one on one where I have the book and they have their notes.  Not everyone needs a book. I'm not sure about discussing it with more than one child at a time, but it may work with other families.

All three of us read it together at 13 and 11. I read the questions and explained the Americanisms. Everyone answered, then checked. We did it on the kindle. If you have more than one kindle registered to an account you can have it on all your kindles.

My 5th grader and I read it out loud together, then we did the questions by Socratic discussion-- and throughout the year, whenever we found logical fallacies in life, we pointed them out and talked about them briefly (television provides copious material, but even newspapers and magazines do as well, as do billboards, podcasts, and even some school books).  It has stuck really well, x 2 boys who both did it at that age-- older boy did Discovery of Deduction in 6th/beginning of 7th and is finishing up Art of Argument across 7th/8th.  I'm giving younger boy a year to play with Venn puzzles, logic grids, reading Smullyan ("What is the Name of This Book?") etc before he starts Discovery of Deduction.

(It is possible I just reversed the order of DD/AA . . . I'm too lazy to go look them up LOL.  We read and discuss the book that is in his basket whatever the title is).