Menu

I don't think Human Odyssey is going to work for us :(

I am using SOTW for my girls because I need the audio version for them (dyslexia) but my boys are wanting to be independent. I purchased The Human Odyssey on ebay for a steal ($5) and have it in my hands.

My boys only have a few quirks but one of their quirks is having the text clearly defined into lessons. SOTW worked because it was broken into small reading sections within the chapters. So, they would go from bolded title to the next bolded title, stop and I would ask them the comprehension questions. With THO, it isn't divided as such. There are no comprehension questions. I know someone is going to suggest to just give them page numbers and I have tried the page numbers method before but it doesn't work for us because it isn't the style of learning they prefer. We use a ton of Rod and Staff books and they love the division of lessons. It is straight foward: read, answer questions.

So, now I am considering continuing with SOTW for all of 6th and 7th and doing American History in 8th. I want to use SWB High school level history books afterwards. We have not finished one rotation of history yet with the boys. So, starting THO would kick them back to Ancients.

I have the kingfisher Encyclopedia to go along with SOTW. I know using SOTW for middle isn't super rigorous for their age. I also know we are doing their level of work on all other subjects. Tell me to relax and just move forward with SOTW with no guilt :p

If it's questions and other activities you're interested in you can buy an accompanying book on Amazon for fairly cheaply. Do a search there using the words 'human odyssey student pages' and you'll come up with something called, "Intermediate World History A : Student Pages (Semesters 1 & 2)" This has lots of questions and activities directly related to the book. They also break down the material in chunks focusing on a specific amount for each lesson which might address the other concerns you have around too much material at a time.

Relax & move forward with SOTW with no guilt. (My rising 6th grader will stay with the youngers for Early Modern & Modern using SOTW, FWIW, with the White Kingfisher a la WTM. So, obviously, I am doing that plan -- and hold no guilt about it. The 3rd & especially the 4th volumes of SOTW are written at a higher level than the first two. Besides, it is easier to keep everyone together.)

But, if you want to use THO, why not try sticky notes right on the page that say END OF LESSON 1, START OF LESSON 2, etc.-- and you wouldn't have to start at the beginning of the book (Ancients) if you didn't want to. 

While I plan to use Human Odyssey with my youngest for the next 3 years, my older dd used SOTW through 8th grade. We did it as part of Biblioplan, so she did have a lot of other reading too, but SOTW was the spine. And we used Kingfisher with it. 

I am using SOTW for my girls because I need the audio version for them (dyslexia) but my boys are wanting to be independent. I purchased The Human Odyssey on ebay for a steal ($5) and have it in my hands.

My boys only have a few quirks but one of their quirks is having the text clearly defined into lessons. SOTW worked because it was broken into small reading sections within the chapters. So, they would go from bolded title to the next bolded title, stop and I would ask them the comprehension questions. With THO, it isn't divided as such. There are no comprehension questions. I know someone is going to suggest to just give them page numbers and I have tried the page numbers method before but it doesn't work for us because it isn't the style of learning they prefer. We use a ton of Rod and Staff books and they love the division of lessons. It is straight foward: read, answer questions.

So, now I am considering continuing with SOTW for all of 6th and 7th and doing American History in 8th. I want to use SWB High school level history books afterwards. We have not finished one rotation of history yet with the boys. So, starting THO would kick them back to Ancients.

I have the kingfisher Encyclopedia to go along with SOTW. I know using SOTW for middle isn't super rigorous for their age. I also know we are doing their level of work on all other subjects. Tell me to relax and just move forward with SOTW with no guilt :p

I would think depending on which book you start at that SOTW might be a bit young?  I know a lot of people here use it (as have I, and loved it) but for my 11-13 y.o.'s it's not meaty enough.  Of course we watch Documentaries for fun and our (in depth) discussions often center on political/economic/social causes of war, famine, and persecution.... so we may not be normal.

You could try Spielvogel's "World History to 1800" , and then the 2nd book (not sure of the exact years).  It is separated into 3-5 sections per chapter with a "Questions to Guide Your Reading" first.  After each section there are review questions(5-6) for both comprehension and critical thinking.  At the end of the chapter is a full review with 30-50 questions.  The only problem I see is that it is a high school text (may be above 11/12 y.o. reading level?) and is about 650 pgs. long and that only covers to 1800. Here's the Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0538427590/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could also "check it out" at OpenLibrary.org  

You might also check BellTower Books, they often have these kind of texts for cheap and only $1 shipping (although the condition is usually not as good as they say).

Another option is Connect the Thoughts curriculum.  It is laid out lesson by lesson.  It has a lot of writing prompts (we use for discussion instead) and there are some activities (how many depends on the level).

Lower School History http://www.connectthethoughts.net/lower--history.php

Upper School History http://www.connectthethoughts.net/upper--history.php

I would do a search on this forum for Connect the Thoughts or CTT to get more info.

my boys are wanting to be independent.

So, now I am considering continuing with SOTW for all of 6th and 7th and doing American History in 8th. I want to use SWB High school level history books afterwards.

I wonder if there is a growth opportunity being missed here. Between now and SWB's high school books, what is the plan for increasing their skills for independence? You say your boys need things laid out just so (and I get that preference, for sure!), but it is a necessary skill to learn to divide and conquer work for ourselves, and I think this age is a great time to start learning this in baby steps.

At our house last year, the history lesson became twofold, history and organizing history (along with other subjects). So just as I would sit down and go over the subject of history with DS11, I would also go over planning/scheduling the subject of history with him. I have a view of middle school (or logic stage, whatever) being a time for direct instruction in executive function skills (planning, organization, study skills, time management, etc.) so these skills are in place when high school level work is upon us.

With that in mind, could you take the intermediate step of writing out lesson plans/questions for the boys, then move to teaching them how to divide work into manageable chunks, schedule reading, etc?

I personally find that HO has natural stopping points. It does have sections, albeit longer ones than SOTW (as it should IMHO for middle school students). The K12 student book does have lessons where it will directly tell the student which pages to read if you really need that.

If you can find the teacher pages it has assignments. It also has discussion questions and the answers.  Well, I think the student is supposed to write out the questions, but we used them as discussion questions.

But the assignments are 'Read pages 163-167' and those are pretty obvious section breaks. The questions exist, they just aren't in the book. They are in the student book and the answers are in the teacher book. I found just having the teacher book was sufficient, but YMMV.

It would be the same using SWB's high school book.

There are no teacher's pages or student pages for Human Odyssey book 3, but it wasn't a big deal.

Student pages book 1:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-World-History-Student-Semesters/dp/B001BKJ6XU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406768074&sr=8-1&keywords=K12+intermediate+world+history+A+student+pages

Teacher pages:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-World-History-Teacher-Semesters/dp/B002AVQYSE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406768108&sr=8-2&keywords=K12+intermediate+world+history+A

Note the name of the course: "Intermediate World History A"

The second book is "Intermediate World History B"

Relax & move forward with SOTW with no guilt. (My rising 6th grader will stay with the youngers for Early Modern & Modern using SOTW, FWIW, with the White Kingfisher a la WTM. So, obviously, I am doing that plan -- and hold no guilt about it. The 3rd & especially the 4th volumes of SOTW are written at a higher level than the first two. Besides, it is easier to keep everyone together.)

:iagree:

I had HO in my hands at one point and sold it at the next opportunity.  I have never understood the attraction. 

I think finishing out their history rotation with SOTW is a great idea.  You could add the Kingfisher (dry - but some fact-loving kids love it), or independent research assignments (great idea for increasing skills and interest along the way).

Relax and move forward with SOTW with no guilt.  How much more history do they already know at their age than you ever did?  It's fine.  And I'll bet they even like history, which is more than I can say for my own childhood history studies.

Everything doesn't have to be "rigorous."  They are your kids, and you can do what you think best.

I know someone is going to suggest to just give them page numbers and I have tried the page numbers method before but it doesn't work for us because it isn't the style of learning they prefer. 

If these are your older boys, my opinion is that they need to start learning how to use textbooks. They are around middle-school age, and I think that is a good age to start transitioning them to what they will encounter in high school and college. The visual make-up of the page and how the lessons are divided won't be up to them when they encounter high school and college texts.

As you got the books so inexpensively, perhaps you could separate the chapters into sections yourself? With a marker or something visual if that helps them? And then you can gradually wean them away from that. You could even use a label maker to put in your own subheadings, or write them in clearly in black ink. Put a post it over the next section so it is easier to ignore?

I also have the teacher and student pages, which are great at helping with discussion questions. Some of the pages are busy work, but I have found a lot of pages that are worthwhile, and I usually adapt the questions to a discussion or having them write a short paragraph or something. There are also often website recommendations.

I do think that SOTW is sort of a supplement at this age and it would be worth it to work with them to learn to adapt to new, more advanced materials. My 12 yo still enjoys it and gets a lot out of being able to listen to it over and over, but that can give your students a good base to reading and comprehending a more complex text.

Well, I will hang on to The Human Odyssey. I only have Volume 1 and that covers basically what we have already covered and nothing new. I think I will speed the boys through SOTW series first. I am also teaching my girls as well, using R&S for most and just doing a ton of actual teaching. I am also increasing their workload across the board, so I am ok if this subject is their relaxed subject at the time. 

My goal is to maintain our plans and get accustomed to staying on point with our plans. We have been really laid back until this year. After I am comfortable, I may up the workload and add The Human Odyssey... I am watching for a steal on Volumes 2 and 3. If I could coordinate the book with the lessons I am already teaching the girls in SOTW, that would be ideal..

So, I am not saying no.. but I suppose postponing and using what I have on hand.