Menu

Engineering, architect, building.... curriculum advice

My eleventh grade son has decided that for the last two years of school he would like to focus on engineering or becoming an architect.

Those are the things he wants to focus on in college. I want him to take a course in one or both over the next two years.

I think they would both be great electives. As we are in NYS we can not go out and take any such courses at a school.

Any ideas of books or sites to visit? Do you think you could apprentice something like this? I would like him to be able to

see what goes into the work. He loves building things and creating electrical things from other objects.

Any advice would be welcome.

I am a civil engineer who has done a mix of structural and mechanical work and project lead work, my dh is an electrical engineer who has worked in automation and instrumentation.  I don't know anything about what is available in the state of New York but I am willing to answer any questions.  How is he at math and science?

I don't have any curriculum advice, but I would highly recommend engineering over architecture for an undergraduate degree. Unemployment is so much less in engineering, and salaries are higher. Whole decades go by when the real estate market isn't good and many architects are unemployed. Engineers are always needed.

Also, structural engineers fix the architects' mistakes, right? ;)

I came in with ideas for upper elementary and middle schoolers.  We've seen some cool resources about building for those ages, but no clue for high school.  I agree that you should post on the high school board as well.

Also, structural engineers fix the architects' mistakes, right? ;)

I came in with ideas for upper elementary and middle schoolers. We've seen some cool resources about building for those ages, but no clue for high school. I agree that you should post on the high school board as well.

Others of us came in hoping for elementary/middle ideas, so you can still put that here if you are so inclined. I am sure the OP wouldn't mind you keeping the thread alive! :D

Others of us came in hoping for elementary/middle ideas, so you can still put that here if you are so inclined. I am sure the OP wouldn't mind you keeping the thread alive! :D

You're a fellow resources queen though!  I'll bet you know anything I could suggest, like the math projects book Blueprint for Design and the thick, awesome Ultimate Building Book by Steve Caney or the book Bridges: Amazing Structures to Design, Test, and Build.  Or the incredibly 1970's Housebuilding for Children (the images of 6 yos with saws will make any free range parent cheerful).

For drafting, there's courses available at Insight Technical Education.

I like this a lot. I think this would be a great starting point because he would actually have to

create on paper before he creates by hand. He has the creating by hand down but I have

only seen him draw it out maybe twice in his life.

Have you looked at the local BOCES engineering program for senior year?

if he is a scout, there are merit badges in both.

RIT offers a 2 day college &careers workshop to rising seniors for a small fee.

I know we have talked before about NYS requirements. I think he would be allowed to take the

RIT workshop but would he be allowed to take any courses at BOCES? I think this would still

be considered double registered, right?

OP,  have you tried cross-posting this on the High School board?  it moves more slowly, so you'll be on the front page longer, and you might get more attention from folks who have done architecture/engineering at that level ...

I just did. Thank you! I have a tendency to use this board because it is my go to board.

I am a civil engineer who has done a mix of structural and mechanical work and project lead work, my dh is an electrical engineer who has worked in automation and instrumentation.  I don't know anything about what is available in the state of New York but I am willing to answer any questions.  How is he at math and science?

He has been great at both subjects. He did well in Geometry except for proofs. His only school problems stem from

when he chooses to not take the time to read the information given.

Can you give him some idea of how long he will have to go to school for and what courses

he will be taking?

I don't mind in the slightest.

Would a drafting course be helpful?  I always think this one looks great ,except for the price, and have it bookmarked for the future. http://www.homeschoolingus.com/  I've a few great review of it.

It looks great but as you said the price isn't so great. I think it is out of my budget. Thank you though!

You're a fellow resources queen though! I'll bet you know anything I could suggest, like the math projects book Blueprint for Design and the thick, awesome Ultimate Building Book by Steve Caney or the book Bridges: Amazing Structures to Design, Test, and Build. Or the incredibly 1970's Housebuilding for Children (the images of 6 yos with saws will make any free range parent cheerful).

Well you did remind me of one I had wish listed, so now I will buy it! :tongue_smilie: And I keep meaning to take the Caney book out of DS11's room and let DS8 have a turn with it... So thanks!

I would also encourage engineering over architecture.  Over 50% of all architecture jobs were lost in the last recession and most haven't come back yet.  It's really hard to find a job except in a few select markets. :glare: I even know of someone who shut down a very large, commercial architecture firm in a large city and laid off all of his employees because there was so little work that the business wasn't worth running anymore. 

When I was in school, all engineering at my college had to take Calc 1, 2, & 3, Differential Equations, Physics 1, 2, & 3 (calc based) Chemistry 1 & 2, statics, dynamics, circuits, thermodynamics, and then we started into the discipline specific classes.  For Civil it involved Fluid Dynamics, Steel and Concrete Design, Strength of Materials, an environmental engineering course, Hydrology, Soil Dynamics, Transportation, Construction Materials, Surveying, Engineering Economics, Construction Management, and I am sure some others that I am leaving out.  I know that Mechanical Engineering had a few courses in Thermodynamics, Vibrations, Machine Design and I am not sure what else.

There is also chemical engineering, electrical engineering petroleum engineering, aerospace engineering, and various other specialties within those disciplines.  I did have a couple of classes in Fortran (programming language), engineering graphics (which taught about drawings and some AutoCad), and technical writing.