Menu

First Language Lessons AND Writing with Ease?

mbradshaw80

My daughter will be in the 1st grade in the fall and we are planning on using First Language Lessons level 1. I was also planning on using the WWE level 1 workbook, but then I noticed that FLL says it covers grammar and writing and that I would only need to supplement with phonics and spelling. Do I need WWE or will FLL provide enough writing practice?

FLL is grammar and WWE is writing. FLL does not teach writing. It has some, very little, copy work and narration, (IMO) but no where near enough. I use FLL with WWE instructor text instead of the workbooks.

We do FLL 1 very lightly, mostly orally, in first grade. No WWE, just copywork.

We add WWE 2 the next year and we do only the grammar in FLL, none of the writing exercises. Wed o memorize poems, but not necessarily by the list in FLL and not at the time we do grammar.

In the workbook all the passages and copywork are picked out. I prefer just the instructor text because I take out work from our read aloud or science or history and sneak it in that way, so it doesn't seem like a whole other subject to the kids.