Menu

Do you use Trader Joe's cat food?

1GirlTwinBoys

I bought some of the premium dry cat food yesterday for the kitten and I mix it with a tiny bit of water.  I don't feel like she eats enough food though.  She only ate MAYBE 1/4 cup of food the entire day.  Is this enough??  

When I gave her Friskies canned food only, which I normally mix with Friskies dry food and feed our outdoor cat, it gave her diarrhea.  

We bought TJ's cat food a few years ago and switched.  I don't even remember why we did so.  Just the other day I've been thinking about going back to TJ's dry and wet cat food because it's cheaper.  And, it's convenient....I'm there once a week about (just there yesterday, in fact). 

If my memory is correct I wanted the cheapest and healthiest cat food I could find and was not/am not sure if TJ's meet that criteria. 

Also, our Ragdoll is an indoor cat so lacks activity a bit.  Our vet said to find low calorie versions, which we did but it's pricier. 

Still deciding....

How old is your kitten?  Outdoor?  Maybe s/he doesn't like it mixed.  I'm not a cat expert.

We feed our "indoor" cat this way:

breakfast 1/2 can wet

11 am - 1 oz dry

dinner - 1/2 can wet

10 pm - 1 oz dry

Our vet said our cat will act starved but she's getting enough.

Hopefully someone with cat knowledge will step in.

I don't think a cat will starve itself just because it doesn't like the food.  I would imagine if there is food out and it is hungry it will eat.  We just keep a full dish of food available for the cat at all times, sometimes she eats a lot and other times very little (She likes to catch her own food).  During the winter we switch her to a lower calorie indoor cat version (even though she is indoor/outdoor) because she doesn't like the cold so winds up being lazy and spending most of her time asleep by the woodstove.

eta: Our one year old, full grown cat who is very active outside never eats more than about half a cup a day.  Many days she eats less than that.

Did you switch it cold turkey? Usually mixing the new food in gradually increasing ratios helps with acceptance (mental and physical). I had a cat who would spit out the pieces of new food. And then sit on you and stare at you... We switched to a different kind!

I don't know anything about TJs cat food, but we feed ours Blue Buffalo.

Edited: sorry, new kitten! The diarrhea could be from new food and environment.

I don't think a cat will starve itself just because it doesn't like the food.  I would imagine if there is food out and it is hungry it will eat. 

Not actually true. They will often be stressed by new food, not eat it, get low blood sugar, feel badly, not eat, and withing 48 hours of not eating can develop fatty liver disease. (Dogs are different)

Not actually true. They will often be stressed by new food, not eat it, get low blood sugar, feel badly, not eat, and withing 48 hours of not eating can develop fatty liver disease. (Dogs are different)

:iagree:

It's usually fairly safe to take a tough love approach to getting a dog to eat.  Cats are a whole 'nother matter.  Let them go too long w/o eating and you're risking some very serious health issues.