Menu

Can you help me find an interview outfit?

Chris in VA

I have a go-to dress that's black and white, and fits well, but I'm looking for something else.

I'm an 18W on a good day--no belts. Under $75. I have black shoes that are a nice slingback with a low heel (I can walk confidently in them and they go with a lot).

The interview is for a preschool lead teacher position. I'd like a dress or a jacket dress--I want to look like I could get on the floor and play, but pulled together, like I take the interview seriously. Friendly, a person you'd trust your kids with...Not too splashy or loud, but interesting is ok, I guess.

Mostly I'm really nervous. :rolleyes: :D

Can you help me?

When I was interviewing for teaching positions recently, I really wanted to implant a "teacher appearance" in the mind of the person interviewing me.  I went with a cardigan, modest tank, nice pants, and flats.  Here are links to what I wore:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68095?feat=503111-GN2&page=fine-gauge-sweater-button-front-cardigan

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72507?feat=503109-CL2&page=unshrinkable-layering-tank

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68260?feat=503110-GN2&page=bayside-twill-pants-original-fit-pleated-comfort-waist

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/74876?feat=506705-GN2&page=indispensable-skimmers-plain

I know it's not a dress, but it's very teacherly and does look like I can get on the floor and play.

Sorry I didn't get back to this--Thanks for the input.

Cute Land's End dress, but no sleeveless, pls. (I know, I'm picky.)

I like Perky's option, but I'm more comfortable in a dress. I go way, way downhill as the year progresses...LOL! (Not that these options were "downhill" in any way.)

Anybody else?

Guest inoubliable

Could you dress up your dress a bit? I think the dress and shoes you already mentioned sound nice, especially for a summertime interview. Maybe a lightweight jacket and a nice bracelet? Or a summer scarf and get your hair blown out before the interview?  

When I recently researched the topic I discovered that most interviewers prefer women to wear pants.  I thought that was strange so I asked several people I know IRL who are business owners and conduct interviews.  They agreed with the pants although they couldn't tell me exactly why.  One mentioned that dresses have more opportunity to look bad or overly good (lol) whereas pants are more forgiving and don't draw attention to the body as much.  So I bought a nice pair of dress slacks, a blouse, and a cardigan (winter interview).  This was for an interview as a pharmacist.  I got the job :)

Personally, I found that I needed to feel comfortable so I made sure that the outfit I chose was very comfortable and I wasn't worried about adjusting anything, runs in my stockings, etc.  I bought myself what I call a "power purse" (handbag for the younger readers).  That made me feel really good about myself for some reason.  

Wishing you confidence and success in your upcoming interview :)

LOL--The director spent over 30 mins with me over the phone yesterday. She said something like, "Is there anything else you'd like me to tell you about, other than the fact that I covet you?" :lol:

She was sitting in her office rocking chair while on the phone with me.

"Office rocking chair."

I'm still nervous, but it does sound like a nice place to work.

I hope you get the job -- it sounds like a nice place to work!

Are there any consignment stores in your area that you could try before you buy something brand new that you won't use very often? Even a Goodwill store might have something nice, and the price would be well below your budget for sure!

There's no point in spending more than necessary, particularly since the interview outfit won't be a good everyday work outfit if you get the job.

I wear a cardigan with the lands end dress. But I like the idea of wearing pants more. I know I would feel more comfortable in pants and flat shoes. I live in fear of tripping in dress shoes. Maybe a new purse and either a scarf or blingy necklace. I know either will put you in a "fashiony" state of mind.  I think the job sounds great too. Good Luck!

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-knit-matte-jersey-shirred-surplice-dress/id_266566

I have this dress and it looks great and is so comfortable. It runs small. I am usually a 14-16 and I had to return it and get a 10-12. (great for my ego)

I wore this dress to interview for the job I started on Monday. I wore a cardigan with it to interview. I wear a jean jacket with it to dress it down.