Menu

can anyone help me? complete subject vs simple subject.

kiwik

I never studied this stuff at school. It is Lesson 4B, part B of EiW Level 3. The answers seem to have gone astray as what we think are the answers are listed in under 8B. But I don't get this,

Sentence.

Mr Thompson's job requires a lot of concentration.

Complete subject

Mr Thompson's job (this makes sense)

Simple subject. The table we are looking at says it is "Mr Thompson" which is what ds7 said. I think if dog is the simple subject of "John's dog" then job should be the simple subject of "Mr Thompson's job".

Can anyone clarify?

TIA

The simple subject definitely is "job."  -  What requires a lot of concentration?  job  

"Mr. Thompson's" is a possessive noun functioning as an adjective.  It modifies "job."  - Whose job?  Mr. Thompson's job

I hope that helps.

It does. I thought it was and we aren't sure that the table in 8b is the one that should be in 4b, just that it certainly doesn't belong where it is. I will make a list to send them at the end.

Glad that I am learning something. I think our total grammar instruction consisted of noun, verb, adjective, adverb and past and present tense.

The simple subject definitely is "job." - What requires a lot of concentration? job

"Mr. Thompson's" is a possessive noun functioning as an adjective. It modifies "job." - Whose job? Mr. Thompson's job

I hope that helps.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Op, I think many of us had a similar experience with our grammar education. The beauty of homeschool is that you learn new things almost daily. ;)