Menu

Pass the bean dip...

Mandylubug

We've chosen to homeschool since 2011. We are committed to it for multiple reasons. During a conversation with a close family member, DH was instructed to TELL me to put the kids back in school and get back to work.

I am shocked. For one, I am not a "little woman" needing to be put in my place. Secondly, it is a mutual decision of ours and thirdly: how RUDE! The conversation was braced around DH stating he had been working a bit of overtime to meet budget and hadn't had time to golf lately. I was in the room and it wasn't a complaint but a mere fact kind of comment...

I know I shouldn't be shocked at the comment but I am. I have always felt we had a good deal of support from this person and never considered that they thought it was me alone wanting to homeschool and needing to be put in place.

I would have been irritated about it, too, but your dh probably handled it the right way by saying no, and then ending the conversation. If the topic comes up again, I would expect your dh to be very firm with the person about the topic not being open for discussion. (I know you will be, if the person mentions it to you!)

I heard Dh say "yeah, no. Well, I gotta go!" And he hung up the phone...so he got off phone and was really offended but didn't really tell the person he was offended. He just ended the conversation.

And no it wasn't a joke either unfortunately.

I really like your dh's actions. He probably knows that a confrontation either isn't going to do any good, or this person was just having a really off day for some reason.

Try not to waste too much time and emotion of one stupid comment. Family can sometimes do and say some really hurtful things, but it sounds like your dh is a very good guy.

I really like your dh's actions. He probably knows that a confrontation either isn't going to do any good, or this person was just having a really off day for some reason.

Try not to waste too much time and emotion of one stupid comment. Family can sometimes do and say some really hurtful things, but it sounds like your dh is a very good guy.

He is a swell guy. I suppose the thought that someone would make assumptions as such hits an insecurity of mine. I feel guilty "working" so little when he works so hard for us but he has assured me time and again that he is 100 percent pleased with our arrangement and would of course support my decision if I chose to work but would prefer I not work and homeschool just as much as I.

He is a great guy, though. He avoids confrontation with them because no matter what he ends up being the bad guy. My instinct is to come rushing out guns blazin' ;) he obviously keeps me anchored in sanity (most of the time) and I have held my tongue for 15 years. What's another day?

So you could make him a hero cape today while he's gone right? ;)

I find most people don't get that DH WANTS to support us and WANTS us to homeschool. He is the steadfast one, the calm, mild one. I'm a little more spontaneous so obviously the kook decision to do something quacky like homeschool is mine and he just goes along for the ride, right? LOL, just remind yourself that apparently these people don't know you all as intimately as they feel they do.....

We've chosen to homeschool since 2011. We are committed to it for multiple reasons. During a conversation with a close family member, DH was instructed to TELL me to put the kids back in school and get back to work.

I am shocked. For one, I am not a "little woman" needing to be put in my place. Secondly, it is a mutual decision of ours and thirdly: how RUDE! The conversation was braced around DH stating he had been working a bit of overtime to meet budget and hadn't had time to golf lately. I was in the room and it wasn't a complaint but a mere fact kind of comment...

I know I shouldn't be shocked at the comment but I am. I have always felt we had a good deal of support from this person and never considered that they thought it was me alone wanting to homeschool and needing to be put in place.

Soooo....your kids are supposed to go to school and you are supposed to get a job....so your husband can GOLF? :smilielol5: