Menu

Look over my plan for this year?

This is for ds10, 5th grade.

Math – Khan Academy & Saxon to supplement

Science – Coursera & Khan Academy unit studies in astronomy and earth science, textbook review

History – History Odyssey Middle Ages II

Language Arts – literature program: read and discuss a novel and write a book report weekly

Spelling – Megawords 4

Logic - Logic to the Rescue & Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery: Reasoning About Reasoning

Latin – Lively Latin

PE – karate, cardio

It looks like you have everything covered. :)

Will you be incorporating writing in your history study? I see you have assigned weekly book reports. Will you teach grammar within these two subjects? Or maybe you are done with grammar, like the way I hope to be by next year. :D

We are also using Megawords and DD likes it a lot, mainly because it's independent and has a lot of different activities.

Math – Khan Academy & Saxon to supplement

Science – Coursera & Khan Academy unit studies in astronomy and earth science, textbook review

History – History Odyssey Middle Ages II

Language Arts – literature program: read and discuss a novel and write a book report weekly

Spelling – Megawords 4

Logic - Logic to the Rescue & Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery: Reasoning About Reasoning

Latin – Lively Latin

PE – karate, cardio

How does Khan Academy work for 5th grade math?

How does Khan Academy work for 5th grade math?

It has groupings of skills, starting with Mission Foundations which makes sure the student has an adequate base for the new skills, then teaches the new skills under different topic headings like geometry, fractions, measurement, etc. The student practices skills to level them up and can do a certain number of mastery challenges each day. The goal is to master all the skills. The student can just go in order or skip around (ds likes to skip around, mainly to avoid things like long division and adding fractions with different denominators that he can't do in his head - he hates writing things down). It has badges as rewards and a dashboard where the student or parent can track progress.

It looks like you have everything covered. :)

Will you be incorporating writing in your history study? I see you have assigned weekly book reports. Will you teach grammar within these two subjects? Or maybe you are done with grammar, like the way I hope to be by next year. :D

We are also using Megawords and DD likes it a lot, mainly because it's independent and has a lot of different activities.

HO is pretty writing intensive straight out of the box. Between that and the book reports I think he will get plenty of practice. We are pretty much done with grammar. At least for now. We will see how he does with writing this year. I plan to print out his book reports and edit them with the ol' red pen, working toward him editing himself.

I'm also piecing together a unit study science plan for my son (6th grade). Which Coursera classes are you using? I thought it only had college level material or is that something your son can handle?

TIA

I'm also piecing together a unit study science plan for my son (6th grade). Which Coursera classes are you using? I thought it only had college level material or is that something your son can handle?

TIA

Yes, it is college material. He has been fine with the intro/survey type courses. He tried a neurobiology class that was over his head and dropped it, but mostly if he picks something with no prereqs it is fine. Most of them are pretty flexible about how much output is required if you aren't on the signature track.

We are starting with From the Big Bang to Dark Energy on Coursera. We will see if any other good ones come up. If not we'll go straight into the Khan Academy's Cosmology and Astrology.

No arts or music needed/wanted?

I knew I was missing something! Hmm, he has been very active in theater the last couple of years so we have counted that as his art (and music too, as it always seems to be a musical). I will look at the lineup for this year at the various theaters and see if he wants to do that again. If not I will start looking around for something else.

Thanks!