Menu

starting grammar but my understanding of grammar is terrible!

I think that my children are on lesson six (adverbs) and we're already past my understanding (I had no idea they could modify adjectives or other adverbs). I've been keeping up by doing a little studying online. Does anyone have any favorite resources that they could suggest for an adult crash course in grammar?

There is a book called "Help Your Child with Language Arts" published by DK that is pretty good. I have also learned grammar along with DS as I never had a good grammar class in school. We used MCT Grammar Island which helped me learn along with him and review diagramming sentences.

I taught my kids using Rod and Staff English.  I started out not even knowing what a verb was.  I didn't try to learn ahead of them and just learned as they learned.  I would tell people that I knew only up to 3rd grade grammar, 4th grade grammar, etc.  So, I'm up to high school grammar now and well aware of what everything means to teach my current 4th grader.

Beth

I think that my children are on lesson six (adverbs) and we're already past my understanding (I had no idea they could modify adjectives or other adverbs). I've been keeping up by doing a little studying online. Does anyone have any favorite resources that they could suggest for an adult crash course in grammar?

If you want to spend some money, you can use Analytical Grammar.

It is a great program that uses diagramming. There is also Junior Analytical Grammar, for middle school grades.

The junior version would be a quick crash course that you could do in 2 weeks or so.

I highly recommend Grammar by Diagram. It's an expensive text, but your knowledge of grammar and the function of words, phrases, and clauses will be superior when you finish--and I would know. I own many grammar books, and I needed to master grammar at an incredibly detailed level for my profession. After many books, this one finally provided the comprehensive and detailed instruction that helped me to master the subject. It is a bit of a time investment; if you did a little every night, you could probably finish it in a couple weeks or a month. Just be sure you don't get the workbook--you want the textbook: ISBN-10: 1551117789.