Menu

Gluten Free Road trip food and snacks?

Unicorn.

What do you pack for road trips... quick meals and snack stuff?  I need to pack some food for dd for a road trip, and other than making some muffins, I'm drawing a blank.   I don't want store bought junk, I'm thinking stuff I can throw in a cooler for her to snack on, and something that could be used as a quick meal if they don't stop someplace that has safe options for her.  

So what do you pack for road trips?  (she'll be on the road about 2 days)

TIA

The same stuff glutenoids would take. *shrug* Pretzels, fruit, VeggieStraws, nuts, trail mix, cheese sticks, jerky, sandwiches, taquitos, pb&j, dry cereal, Trio fruit/nut bars or Larabars, pasta/meat/veggie casserole (alfredo is good cold). I portion it out into separate ziplocs for the most part.

Forgot to mention, she won't touch a sandwich w/ a ten foot pole.   :p  She won't eat nuts, and I think she lives on cheese.  Will the hard boiled eggs travel well?  She does like those.  I'm just hoping the cooler stays cold.

Hard boiled eggs should be fine.  Get a hard-sided cooler and if you can put a big chunk of ice in it, it will stay colder than if you use ice cubes.  Or replace the cubed ice daily.

Don't forget chocolate or some kind of sweet treat.  :)

I make a no-nut granola that would be gluten free if you use gluten free oats:

1/2 c oil of choice (I use coconut)

1/2 c honey or agave nectar

2 1/2 c old fashioned oats

1 c raw pumpkin seeds

1 c raw sunflower seeds

1/4 c raw sesame seeds

1 1/2 c unsweetened coconut flakes

2 c chopped dried fruit (I like apricots and cherries, but you can use anything or omit if you'd rather)

Mix all the ingredients except the coconut and the fruit. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 min @ 275. Stir in the coconut and spread flat again. Bake for another 45 min. Stir in chopped dried fruit and let cool completely on the tray. Break into chunks and store in an airtight container.

Great by the pawful or mixed into yogurt (or as breakfast cereal).

Not the healthiest option but...cut up summer sausage. Dry ice will keep the cooler cold for a couple of days. You can put a layer on the bottom of the cooler and the cover it with a towel or something so she doesn't burn herself on it.

And then lots of fruit, cheese, crackers, pretzels, and chex mix.

For trips we pack a cooler with fruit, string cheese, gluten free bread, sandwich stuff, water and sodas, plus have a basket with tons of treats we don't always allow - chips from Aldis (the ones marked gluten free), snickers bars, and maybe a box of gluten free crackers in case someone gets a tummy ache, and possibly gummy candy, trail mix, and a few boxes of gluten free cookies depending on my feel for how much sugar we've been eating lately.  We tend to have picnic meals for at least 5/6 meals on road trips, but I allow for lots of junk food that I normally don't so it still feels like vacation to everyone.

Most convenience stores these days have "emergency" food in the form of boiled eggs, individually wrapped cheeses, nuts (read the wrappers), and fruit, and you can always fill in with a snickers bar if you need more calories.

I would caution you to take a regular cooler with ice though; those ones you plug into the car are not worth it.  They only cool the food to 30 degrees cooler than the interior temperature, and if you use them for 5 days in a row the plugs seem to overheat and warp.  You can find ice everywhere, and it actually keeps mayo and lunch meat at a safe temperature.