Menu

Engineering Technology vs Engineering

elegantlion

This is for ds, not me. My university offers Engineering Technology degrees in several areas. I read about the difference between the two here. I'm curious about perception between the two. Could a BS in EngTech, say electronics & computer, easily move then to a graduate program in another engineering field, say aerospace engineering? 

He's still undecided on what he wants to study, aerospace engineering is a strong contender, yet I am concerned about his math skills. He knows what he needs to do to move ahead in that area, yet he's not highly motivated to work over the summer like he needs. This comment stuck out to me: 

"Also, engineering programs typically require additional, higher-level mathematics, including multiple semesters of calculus and calculus-based theoretical science courses. Engineering technology programs typically focus on algebra, trigonometry, applied calculus, and other courses that are more practical than theoretical in nature."

Also, cost will be a huge issue for us. He'll take the ACT this fall. Living at home may end up being the most prudent financial choice and this is the only university near us. At this point, I'm trying to keep a 3-fold college path open: affordable, ideal, and stretch. My university falls into the affordable category. 

This is for ds, not me. My university offers Engineering Technology degrees in several areas. I read about the difference between the two here. I'm curious about perception between the two. Could a BS in EngTech, say electronics & computer, easily move then to a graduate program in another engineering field, say aerospace engineering?

Unlikely.

If they did want to go to graduate school in engineering, they'd almost certainly have to take the mathematics coursework that they missed before matriculating into a graduate program, as well as filling in upper-division coursework that relies on having understood that math.

But I would still talk directly to the engineering department. There may be a pathway.

Unlikely.

If they did want to go to graduate school in engineering, they'd almost certainly have to take the mathematics coursework that they missed before matriculating into a graduate program, as well as filling in upper-division coursework that relies on having understood that math.

But I would still talk directly to the engineering department. There may be a pathway.

The college where I went to graduate school wouldn't take engineering technology graduates into anything but the engineering management program, which was a dual program with the business and engineering schools.

I had a couple of classmates in college who had degrees in engineering technology, but decided they wanted to get an engineering degree.  They were in all of my engineering classes all four years as none of their credits from their engineering technology degree transferred into the school of engineering.

Elegantlion, I realize that finances are an issue, but is there a CC near you where he could do a "prep year" if necessary before going to engineering school?

That way, even if he is behind in math, he could do gen eds + college algebra + precalculus and enter, not only being ready for calculus but also having completed enough gen eds to give himself a lighter schedule/make time for an internship.

Elegantlion, I realize that finances are an issue, but is there a CC near you where he could do a "prep year" if necessary before going to engineering school?

That way, even if he is behind in math, he could do gen eds + college algebra + precalculus and enter, not only being ready for calculus but also having completed enough gen eds to give himself a lighter schedule/make time for an internship.

We have a tiny extension CC here, but I'm not sure of the quality or atmosphere. My university is pretty affordable and has transfer agreements. If he wants to go the engineering route, a year there would be a good option. His goal is exposure to Calc before college, he'll do Alg II this year and pre-calc his senior year. If he starts at my school, ACT math score of 20 or higher is needed to take College Alg or Pre-Calc, 25 of higher for Calculus. 

I know you can test out of remedial classes, but I'm not sure if you can test into higher levels. That may determine timing of his final ACT test. Something else to consider. urgh.  :willy_nilly:

I know you can test out of remedial classes, but I'm not sure if you can test into higher levels. That may determine timing of his final ACT test. Something else to consider. urgh.  :willy_nilly:

You can almost always test into anything up to Calculus 1 using ACT or SAT or COMPASS or an in-house placement test (varies by university). Many universities will also give a test for credit/advanced standing for STEM courses, even if they do not publicize it.

When I was a freshman, I looked at the scope and sequence for Gen Chem. I went to the department chair and I said "I feel like I know everything that's going to be taught in Chem I. I would like to start in Chem II". She said "uh ... ok ... why don't you just show up to the comprehensive Chem I final and we'll see how it goes from there?" Well, I did, and I got an "A" on the final. So they recorded me as having taken the course with a grade of "A". There was absolutely nothing about this in the catalog, but they told me afterwards that every 2-3 years they got someone who had not had AP chem but wanted to challenge, although almost all of them were unsuccessful.

I think of Engineering Technology as more of a two-year degree.  I did Engineering graduate school with a Physics B.S., but I don't think that would have been possible with an Engineering Tech. degree, even a four-year one.  

Not saying that it is a bad thing, though.  Since money is tight one option would be to get a two-year engineering degree then get a job as an Engineering Tech with a big tech company that offers education assistance.  It isn't that hard to get a tech job, and assuming he is a good employee it is practically automatic that he'd be hired as an engineer when he had his degree.  I wish I had gone this route.  In a 24/7 tech manufacturing shop, e.g. semiconductor, they have a hard time staffing the weekend shifts, which would be ideal for someone also studying.  

One important thing is what is it about Engineering that attracts him?  For me, I salivate at the bleeding edge tech machines that cost a large fraction of a million.  Math is not so important in this area.

If he wants to do calculus while in high school, one way to advance a bit is for him to take a math class this coming summer at either the community college or your university, if they offer whatever level of math that would be - College algebra?  Then he could take college pre-calculus in the fall of his senior year and Calculus I that spring.  I'd make sure that his algebra and geometry are solid this year so he enters without gaps as the college classes move quickly.

I think of Engineering Technology as more of a two-year degree.  I did Engineering graduate school with a Physics B.S., but I don't think that would have been possible with an Engineering Tech. degree, even a four-year one.  

Not saying that it is a bad thing, though.  Since money is tight one option would be to get a two-year engineering degree then get a job as an Engineering Tech with a big tech company that offers education assistance.  It isn't that hard to get a tech job, and assuming he is a good employee it is practically automatic that he'd be hired as an engineer when he had his degree.  I wish I had gone this route.  In a 24/7 tech manufacturing shop, e.g. semiconductor, they have a hard time staffing the weekend shifts, which would be ideal for someone also studying.  

One important thing is what is it about Engineering that attracts him?  For me, I salivate at the bleeding edge tech machines that cost a large fraction of a million.  Math is not so important in this area.

At my university the Eng Tech are 4 year degrees. They do have an AS in Manufacturing Eng, but he'd be more like to do computers or electronics. I think his dream job would be working with the electrical or propulsion systems of rockets, working for an independent or international aerospace corporation. I can also see him happy working with electronics or computers in a more mundane line of work.  

If he wants to do calculus while in high school, one way to advance a bit is for him to take a math class this coming summer at either the community college or your university, if they offer whatever level of math that would be - College algebra?  Then he could take college pre-calculus in the fall of his senior year and Calculus I that spring.  I'd make sure that his algebra and geometry are solid this year so he enters without gaps as the college classes move quickly.

That's kind of our goal, at an independent level. At this point, I know he's not ready for the pace of a college level math class. 

My grad school had 4-year degrees in it. A lot of the undergrads who came in wanting to be engineers but placing into far-developmental-math went there.

Apples and Oranges.  Sounds like your DS will need to put a huge effort into improving his Math or he will probably have an *incredibly* hard time in Engineering school.   Also, there may be some community colleges where the courses are truly tough and equivalent to courses taught in a College of Engineering, but, in general, I believe if someone wants to become an Engineer, they should spend 4 years in the College of Engineering (ABET accredited) in a highly regarded university.  When I worked under contract to a large aerospace company in the Pacific NW, I was told that they had a list of approximately 50 universities. If someone was not a graduate of one of the universities on their list, their badge did not have the word "Engineer" on it. My badge had "Engineer" on it.  An Engineer can do the work of someone with a degree in Engineering Technology, but the reverse is not true. Reading the blurb on "Career Paths" on the ABET web page you linked to should explain the differences in the work an Engineer does and also the work that someone with an Engineering Technology degree does. Much  GL to your DS!

Apples and Oranges.  Sounds like your DS will need to put a huge effort into improving his Math or he will probably have an *incredibly* hard time in Engineering school.   Also, there may be some community colleges where the courses are truly tough and equivalent to courses taught in a College of Engineering, but, in general, I believe if someone wants to become an Engineer, they should spend 4 years in the College of Engineering (ABET accredited) in a highly regarded university.  When I worked under contract to a large aerospace company in the Pacific NW, I was told that they had a list of approximately 50 universities. If someone was not a graduate of one of the universities on their list, their badge did not have the word "Engineer" on it. My badge had "Engineer" on it.  An Engineer can do the work of someone with a degree in Engineering Technology, but the reverse is not true. Reading the blurb on "Career Paths" on the ABET web page you linked to should explain the differences in the work an Engineer does and also the work that someone with an Engineering Technology degree does. Much  GL to your DS!

We're doing some exposure to aerospace topics this year, so he should get an idea of whether he's truly interested in working in that industry. The math part will be on him. He may be the kind of student that needs a few years outside of the house, in college, to truly decide. 

I had a friend years ago who got an engineering tech degree from a college that required him to take calculus and physics and was fairly rigorous.  After about 20 years of working in the industry, he was making about what an engineer starting out made and he was fighting to try to get his professional engineering license.  I don't know if he was ever successful in being allowed to sit for the test.  Engineering will be a much more lucrative field and much more respectable if he can handle the math and science that it takes.

We're doing some exposure to aerospace topics this year, so he should get an idea of whether he's truly interested in working in that industry. The math part will be on him. He may be the kind of student that needs a few years outside of the house, in college, to truly decide. 

Great. If he is interested, there are Colleges of Engineering that grant degrees in Aerospace Engineering and in Aeronautical Engineering.  University campuses have many students who were formerly in the College of Engineering but are now in another College...

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronautics-and-astronautics/

To be successful in a College of Engineering, he *must* be extremely strong in Math and Physics.

I was a Member of IEEE for many years and if he was my DS, if and ONLY if he becomes extremely strong in Math and Physics, I would steer him into an ABET accredited university, where the program he is interested in is accredited by ABET. There are 2 ABET accredited universities here in Colombia. Tons of them in the USA.

Much GL to him.

Here's a link to the ABET site which allows you to search for accredited programs by state.

http://main.abet.org/aps/Accreditedprogramsearch.aspx

I searched for 4-year bachelor's programs, and looking at all states I counted to 50 and was still in the C's.   Maybe the 50 refers to those which are specifically for aeronautical engineering or for a masters?   Either way, lots of accredited programs.

1) This is for ds, not me. My university offers Engineering Technology degrees in several areas. I read about the difference between the two here. I'm curious about perception between the two. Could a BS in EngTech, say electronics & computer, easily move then to a graduate program in another engineering field, say aerospace engineering? 

2) Also, cost will be a huge issue for us. He'll take the ACT this fall. Living at home may end up being the most prudent financial choice and this is the only university near us. At this point, I'm trying to keep a 3-fold college path open: affordable, ideal, and stretch. My university falls into the affordable category. 

1)  Engineering Technology degree grads tend to end up doing production support, field support etc instead of design. Techies should always work for a year or two before pursuing grad school.

2)  Strongly recommend that your son looks into an Engineering Science (transfer program) at a nearby CC or take the Math and Science there and take the Engineering Science classes online at another CC - I would assume that most states would have this available at in-state tuition level.  Your son would know whether he wanted to continue to pursue this after the first year or maybe 3rd semester then transfer to the nearby university  (contact them about transfer requirements first). Either way the strong background could lead to another major such as Science or Economics, Business, etc.

When I worked under contract to a large aerospace company in the Pacific NW, I was told that they had a list of approximately 50 universities. If someone was not a graduate of one of the universities on their list, their badge did not have the word "Engineer" on it. My badge had "Engineer" on it.

Would there be somewhere to read which 50 or a similar list? I am curious to know because my DS is also interested in engineering and I'm wondering where to start in our search for colleges.

This is not true for the majority of companies.  Make sure the engineering school is ABET accredited.  The other thing that might be useful is if you can find out percentages of their graduates go on to get their professional engineering license.  I don't know how easy that information is to get though.

When I worked under contract to a large aerospace company in the Pacific NW, I was told that they had a list of approximately 50 universities. If someone was not a graduate of one of the universities on their list, their badge did not have the word "Engineer" on it. My badge had "Engineer" on it.  An Engineer can do the work of someone with a degree in Engineering Technology, but the reverse is not true. 

Over 16 years ago, I was working at this same company (I'm guessing).  I don't remember the "50" list, but I did know several folks who did not have actual straight-forward engineering degrees and were considered "Techs".  Their starting pay was probably between 1/2 and 2/3 of a person with an engineer designation. Other companies may not have such policies.

Would there be somewhere to read which 50 or a similar list? I am curious to know because my DS is also interested in engineering and I'm wondering where to start in our search for colleges.

Well, I believe you should begin with the ABET web site. 

http://www.abet.org/accreditation/

Read what it says on that page about "programmatic accreditation" 

To date, ABET has accredited over 3,300 applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology programs at more than 680 colleges and universities in 24 countries worldwide.  Find an ABET-accredited program with our Accredited Program Search.

I hope that will help you. After you narrow it down, you can then check to see if your program in your school is accredited by ABET.  

One College of Engineering might be great for Electronic Engineering, but not so good for Civil Engineering, just to give one of dozens of comparisons.  Possibly one can find a list of "the top" Electronic Engineering" schools, for one example, somewhere.   Sorry about the font and type, I'm not sure what happened to the formatting when I was writing my reply... GL

• 3 weeks later...

From Stanford:

Electrical Engineering

Some students interested in computer science, particularly those who are even more interested in hardware than those in CSE, major in electrical engineering, which has several undergraduate degree options that involve computer science. Outside of the hardware focus, the major difference between an EE degree and the others on this page is that the EE degree meets the ABET standards for engineering accreditation. While such accreditation is useful in certain disciplines such as civil engineering, it has no practical significance whatsoever in computer science. It does, however, mean that students have to take many more courses for the degree than in the standard CS or CSE tracks.

Many in CS don't even consider it to be a true engineering field.  Stanford does have ABET certification for Chemical Eng, Civil Eng, Environmental Eng., and Mechanical Eng

The engineering companies I am familiar with often have a small list of schools they tend to look to first for hiring, but it is not a requirement that your degree be from one of those places. Not surprisingly, if your degree is from a respected institution in the field you should be in the running. Start with the major ranking lists for the degree you are interested in and go from there.

1)  Engineering Technology degree grads tend to end up doing production support, field support etc instead of design. Techies should always work for a year or two before pursuing grad school.

Except that design isn't an engineering degree. One of our state universities is home to a top College of Design, which is home to those who major in industrial design. They earn a BID. The other state university that offers the industrial design major does it through their College of Fine and Applied Arts. 

Hm. I just looked up EE and CS on the ABET list and Stanford is not accredited. This says more to me about ABET than it does about Stanford.

It just means Stanford decided their graduates in those degrees didn't need ABET accredited degrees. It doesn't mean ABET denied the accreditation. Stanford can get by with that. Other schools cannot.