Menu

Suggestions for a cat

Jasperstone

My DD is very happy with her kitten from a local rescue, saved from the streets of our city. A rescue will give your DD the chance to interact with the kittens/cats, so she can see how they like to be held and played with. It is nice when a cat picks you. :) DD had her eyes on two kittens in one litter (based on looks), yet ended up with the third after interacting with all three for a half hour or so. The first two kittens were all play and scrambled away as soon as they got the chance when she held them, but the third played nicely AND purred every time she pulled him into her lap. That little guy has been purrfect, playful and cuddly, always up for fun but snuggling her all night and catching cat naps on her desk while she works or on her lap while she watches tv. He was easy on the conscience to boot. She dreamed for years of a kitten of this or that breed (she can recognize different breeds on sight, she researched for so long), but she loves this little kitten, and she loves to tell people his story.

I agree with pp. we've always gotten cats from the shelter. A mix of "breeds" makes for usually a healthier cat. Purebreds cost a lot. I would recommend to get a fostered cat (raised since birth in a person's home) for an easier transition to a house.

Make sure to interact with the cat/kitten a bit. If they are beautiful but hide from you in the corner, it will likely be the same at your home. Some cats are very personable right at the start.

I'd also consider fur. Cats shed a lot, so if you have a long haired one expect to have to vacuum or live with fur. If you're already doing that then there's no additional problems. They also sell combs for cats that reduce fur thickness which can help. Claws can be cut at home once a week to prevent furniture damage, as well as a cat scratcher. Unless it's an outdoor cat, which will likely need it's claws to protect itself.

We have ten, all "strays." They each have their very own personality, but from having cats all my life, I can tell you that without exception, our males have always been the most loving. Any with strange personality problems have always been the females. But they are all wonderful and healthy. 

Well . . .  I've volunteered in pet rescue for years, so I'm a huge fan of adopting a homeless kitten or cat.  But if I were looking for a purebred I'd get a Ragdoll.  I love everything about them.

I agree that in general male cats tend to be sweeter and more loving.  Of course generalities will always have exceptions.  There are certainly lots of very nice, loving female cats.  But my personal preference is male black or orange cats.  All the ones I've met have been sweethearts.

I agree that in general male cats tend to be sweeter and more loving.  Of course generalities will always have exceptions.  There are certainly lots of very nice, loving female cats.  But my personal preference is male black or orange cats.  All the ones I've met have been sweethearts.

I agree about those sweet orange males! We had one when I was a kid and he was so tolerant.

Once I was trying to coax my cat home and I was outside yelling "Come and get some kitten treats!" The next thing I knew an orange cat was rubbing my legs and mewing. Too bad it wasn't my cat...

I'm also voting for a male orange tabby. That's what we have now and he has a great personality and puts up with a lot of handling.

And I agree with a PP who said generally male cats are mellower. That's been our experience as well.

We adopted a pregnant female cat, knowingly, 7 years ago. She had 4 kittens only 5 days later. ALL of them have her same gregarious, almost dog-like personality. She *wanted* me to stay with her when she had her kittens! All of the kittens were males, we kept 2, found friends to adopt 2, and my mom and dad, who had recently lost a pet, adopted the mother. All are neutered, all are wonderful, friendly pets. So we were randomly very lucky, but I agree that you can tell the personality right away, and that a shelter cat can be a great find. AND that raising them from birth gives you the chance to handle them a lot and help them to become well-socialized, homeschool kitties! LOL!!

I can't even tell you how many cats we've had over the last 40 years. None of them, though, were orange tabbies (which are *usually* males, but not always). I cannot tell the difference between male and female when it comes to behavior/personality/etc. We are catless at the moment, and we keep saying that when Wrolf the French bulldog is gone (he's 17yo) we aren't getting any more critters...but, um, not having a cat around the house just seems wrong, so who knows? :-)

We were given my FIL's 16-year old Tonkinese (Burmese and Siamese Mix) and she's so loving and gentle.  She is very much a lap cat and doesn't like to be left alone.  I don't know if it's her breed or the fact that she belonged to an elderly shut-in.

I agree with others that recommend any cat (not kitten) from a shelter.  I had a calico before my Tonkinese and she was really sweet too. 

Growing up we had three different Siamese cats, and I loved them! They were wonderful pets. One was so laid back he let my sister dress him in doll clothes and wheel him around in her doll buggy. They were extremely smart animals, and very sweet. I know people say Siamese cats are mean, but I have never seen that.

Right now we have a young long-haired cat, but she technically belongs to my dd who is living in an apartment. When dd buys a house, she is taking her cat so maybe I will get a Siamese cat then.

A shelter or free kitty. Bob (our only kitty, she passed away almost a year ago) was a kitty dh seen in the paper for free. If he didn't get her, they were just going let her become feral (she was already fixed). Our next kitty we will probably get the same way, although dh said no cats until the dog goes unless one finds us :)

I've always had a house full of shelter cats and adopted strays.  We have six right now.  For some reason we always ended up with black and white cats or Maine Coons, but two of our newer rescues are orange male tabbies They are both so sweet and friendly!  I wondered if there was something about orange cats that made them so friendly and judging by the comments here, they are a friendly bunch.

A shelter or free kitten is the best way to go.  Most shelters (such as the spca) will have dozens of cats.  Plan to take a few hours to go meet and play with any cats that interest you and you will find one that is just right for your dd.  

Definitely a shelter cat! Our shelter adoption fee includes having the cat spayed or neutered (which is required and I consider a must). We had three previously (for 12, 15, and 16 years) and now have three more. WIth kittens or young cats, I'd definitely go with two, though there are often some adult cats that will be identified as being better as only cats for various reasons, if you need to go that way.

Black and black/white ones are least often adopted, so I try to give special attention to them. My boys have usually been more sociable. Our only orange one is a female, and she's rather a diva. Many of our females over the years have been one-person cats.

Another vote for a shelter cat!  

I went to look at one listed at a local shelter back in the fall (yes, I'm a crazy cat lady with many cats) because we were looking for a Maine Coon mix.  (You can interpret "looking for" to mean DH said he wouldn't mind yet another cat if it were a Maine Coon.)  I went to see the little guy who was a bit shy but playful, and was practically adopted by his littermate.  She was so outgoing and friendly, kept climbing all over me and wouldn't leave me alone.  Needless to say I came home with both of them (Lilo & Stitch) and getting them both together was a great choice.  They're both very social and friendly, and Lilo loves to go outside on a leash with the kids.  Plus like a PP said, they can tussle with each other and not bother my older cats or scratch up my sofa.

We've always had stray, shelter, &/or mix-breed rescue cats.

Here are my comments (completely unscientific) from a lifetime with cats... :lol:  (No flaming me, please. These are just my own observations.)

Siamese (esp. Flame Points) -- people-oriented, smart, busy, often talkative, pretty much my favorite type of cat

Black cats -- my other favorite type of cat, they have great personalities, loving, smart, loyal. (I even had a wedding photo taken w/ my black cat.)

Orange cats -- lovey-dovey sweetest cats around, fit the 'lovers not fighters' type description

Black & white cats -- completely sweet but not the brightest bulbs in the socket

Tortoise -- can be nice, can be cranky

But, really, as others have said, go play with & meet some. You need to find the one that is the right fit for your dd & will bond with her.

Another vote for a rescue cat!  When I was wanting to get my first cat (as an adult on my own - we always had a "family" cat growing up), I headed to the local shelter looking for a short-haired, black and white moggy.  I ended up with a long-haired, gray-and-white moggy, because he picked me.   :001_wub:   He was such a love!  I still miss the goofy, cuddly furr-ball.  

When we eventually get another cat, we will definitely be going the rescue route.

Shelter cat!

We've had some very chatty shelter cats.  I think sometimes they "learn" to talk from us since we talk to them so much -- they seem to catch on that it's the thing to do.

Our 10yo from-the-shelter male just jumped up on the seat next to me with a little meow, and is climbing into my lap wanting a cuddle.  The purring is starting now ....

Is there a reason you want a "breed"?  We have had a lot of cats, and the only two with major health problems were the Korat and the half Himalayan.  All of the "domestic short hairs" have been healthy.

Personality-wise, I have learned not to just get a cute kitten--our last two have been our best because I picked up the kittens, found the ones that weren't terribly shy but weren't all clawy-bitey-overly play-y.  Just friendly and curious.  And they've turned out to be ones that like people (even though all cats need a lot of "personal time"), not overly skittish, more adaptable--

Personally, we've had better personalities with females--most of the males (even the ones that were spayed early) were someone territorial (not spraying, just attitude).  Our females have been more laid back.  And I'm partial to tabby cats :)

Good luck!  We are dog sitting this week, and the dog is a sweety--but we are SOOOO much more inclined to cats.  DS2 wants a dog, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.  Dogs just stare at you at want attention all the time; cats leave you alone :)  Sometimes too much, but I don't want an animal watching me all the time . . .

Betsy

Here are my comments (completely unscientific) from a lifetime with cats... :lol:  (No flaming me, please. These are just my own observations.)

Siamese (esp. Flame Points) -- people-oriented, smart, busy, often talkative, pretty much my favorite type of cat

Black cats -- my other favorite type of cat, they have great personalities, loving, smart, loyal. (I even had a wedding photo taken w/ my black cat.)

Orange cats -- lovey-dovey sweetest cats around, fit the 'lovers not fighters' type description

Black & white cats -- completely sweet but not the brightest bulbs in the socket

Tortoise -- can be nice, can be cranky

Unscientific peer review: you're exactly right. :) 

You've accurately described every cat I've ever had, right down to my sweet but dim black and white stray.

And I'll throw in another vote for shelter cat. My shelter kitty thinks she's a Russian Blue (really, she's probably just a plain old gray cat) and behaves accordingly. 

Is there a reason you want a "breed"?  We have had a lot of cats, and the only two with major health problems were the Korat and the half Himalayan.  All of the "domestic short hairs" have been healthy.

-------

It's a big decision for us and want to get it right etc...

I would prefer a cat that doesn't shed too much. And my dd wants one that interacts with her and not just does its own thing.

I've had a Burmese. I've had an Abyssinian.

The best personality is definitely hands down no question what we have now: silver tabby mixed breed.

If you've never had one or spent the time to look at one long enough to see how beautiful they actually are, it might be easier to understand if I say "plain grey ordinary looking alley cat". Grandkitty looks like Catwoman's avatar. That's the dominant default colour of domestic feline and that might have something to do with why they have the most stable personalities and are least likely to be neurotic.

Grandkitty is a rescue animal who lost his mother shortly after birth and was bottle raised by an alien species, so if anybody has a right to be neurotic, he does.

I would have recommended a female a few years ago, but it's a lot easier to keep little boys healthy now that they know more about the optimal age to neuter them.  Ours doesn't spray at all and he's curious if you forget to close a door or window, but he's only gotten out a couple of times and he found his way home okay with no injuries or any reason to believe he got in a fight.

He would rather let my six year old carry him around like a doll than risk hurting a people kitten. He's healthy and happy on what my 22 year old can afford to feed him. He completely won me over after I was so sure I didn't ever want another cat. I just can't say enough positive things about this little guy.

Another vote for a shelter cat, here. Another option is to contact a local vet and see if they have any available for adoption - they sometimes do. 

Black cats are awesome! They are so, so sweet! Consider getting a pair of kittens as well. They keep each other company and make these precious little kitten piles when they sleep together. 

Another vote for a shelter cat, here. Another option is to contact a local vet and see if they have any available for adoption - they sometimes do. 

Black cats are awesome! They are so, so sweet! Consider getting a pair of kittens as well. They keep each other company and make these precious little kitten piles when they sleep together. 

My black cat is ornery! He doesn't like laps, growls at grandma, and chases big dogs out of our yard. :glare:

I also vote for shelter cat or kitten. Try to go to a shelter that lets you interact with them for a while.

My anecdotes-

Siamese/himalayan mix female- very, very vocal. She was so vocal we got complaints when we lived in an apartment. She is finicky, not too friendly, and never wanted to be a lap cat. She's 17 and has never had health problems.

Orange male- Humongous as an adult. It's not fat- he's long and muscular. He is very aggressive, smart, sensitive, and not a lap cat either. He likes his space but tolerates the kids better than the siamese. I guess he breaks the uber friendly orange tabby mold. He also has problems with UTIs and has to eat expensive food and has high vet bills. He is neurotic. 

Black and white female- Sweetest most timid kitten ever. She is so sweet and gentle that my other cats- who hate cats, even each other- kind of like her. She follows me around all day and would probably be happiest carried around in a baby sling.

Long haired cats shed more but my unscientific opinion is that they release less dander and cause less allergy issues.

Cornish Rex. She has lovely soft fur but doesn't shed (I really didn't want the cat hair this time because it irritates my allergies when it flies around, and I can't deal with allergy meds, plus I knew I wouldn't have time to keep up with vacuuming it up).

She has the best personality of any cat we've ever had. And soooo cute. Here are a few pictures just to prove how cute our fur baby is :) https://www.flickr.com/photos/33329506@N06/sets/72157632842367969/