Menu

Could someone offer advice on preparing for the AP Biology test independently? What books did you use and how did you study? (I realize that an AP Biology course would not be placed on the transcript for a self-study class.) Thank you for your help. 

I self-studied for the AP Biology exam last year. I used the Campbell biology book with the Princeton AP Bio review book. There is an outline of which chapters of Campbell need to be completed for the AP exam on the college board site. There is also a study guide workbook that goes with the textbook that is pretty helpful. 

Thank you Sarah Kate! We are trying to decide between enrolling in an online course (or using Thinkwell), and self-study. This helps. Did you feel that you were well prepared with your study materials? Anything you'd add or do differently?

I've heard that some colleges require review of the students lab manual before granting credit for AP scores. Some of the AP threads in the big master thread at the top of the board might have specific examples.

Not an argument against self study or an at home course, but it might be worth doing the labs and saving the lab book.

• 2 months later...

One of my Girl Scouts self-studied with Campbell last year as an eighth-grader.  She didn't study to the test particularly, though she is a good test-taker and did get a prep book at the last minute.  She earned a five.  She took Pearson's twelve online labs.  Not the same as live labs, of course, which she would have preferred, but it was a good experience for her.  Just an example of self-study for homeschooling joy, rather than trying to get credit in college.

One of my Girl Scouts self-studied with Campbell last year as an eighth-grader. She didn't study to the test particularly, though she is a good test-taker and did get a prep book at the last minute. She earned a five. She took Pearson's twelve online labs. Not the same as live labs, of course, which she would have preferred, but it was a good experience for her. Just an example of self-study for homeschooling joy, rather than trying to get credit in college.

Can you please post a link to the online labs. Thanks.

I self-studied for the AP Biology exam last year. I used the Campbell biology book with the Princeton AP Bio review book. There is an outline of which chapters of Campbell need to be completed for the AP exam on the college board site. There is also a study guide workbook that goes with the textbook that is pretty helpful. 

These are the same texts my dd used last year at the b&m school. In fact, she asked us to purchase the Campbell book so she could study more thoroughly and highlight what she felt was important (she couldn't mark in the ps book.) She used the Princeton book as an additional study guide. She also scored a 5.