Menu

Mysterious full-body rash--help me figure out what's up with ds

Harriet Vane

Ds has broken out in a full-body rash. No fever now nor recently.

He has struggled since last Wednesday with what we assumed was jock itch from swimming. Dh didn't see a specific rash, so we were treating with OTC antifungals. They helped a little but not as much as hoped, though the pharmacist said it can take 7-10 days.

This morning he did have some scratch marks near his neck, but his body was pretty clear. We assumed he was scratching in his sleep or maybe got a bug bite.

We were out of town all weekend. The kids swam in the pool in the morning. (We made sure ds dried thoroughly and then applied the antifungals right away.) We drove home today. When we left this morning, ds looked normal but was tired. He slept a little in the car, but we attributed that to lots of vacation fun with cousins.

By the time we arrived home, ds broke out in a full body rash. His trunk is covered with raised red bumps, many of which look like pimples. The rash extends to both arms and his face, and he has a few bumps on one leg.

We slathered him with Caladryl and are trying to help soothe him to sleep now. He is very, very itchy.

Ds had chicken pox years ago. Could he have it again??? With no fever???

Is there another possibility to consider?

Poison ivy??? He does do a lot of yard work. He spent last week weeding and spreading mulch (chips from dead ash trees) in the gardens. I would have thought that he would have reacted the day he did the work, though. It has been five days since he did that work. It also doesn't make sense that such a reaction would start in the groin area.

Any thoughts?

Could be poison ivy, oak or sumac. If you google some photos, it may help. A second round of chicken pix can occur, even without fever. Could be scarlet fever, even if the strep throat was not noticeable.

If you can try an oatmeal bath and some Benadryl tonight, but I would want to see doc in the morning.

I hope he has relief soon!

Contact dermatitis from something in the pool chemicals?

I got it from sunscreen; my skin was red and irritated and it looked like there were lots of little white pimples also.  Washing didn't help, but hydrocortisone ointment did.

If you have a tube of hydrocortisone cream, maybe put some on a very small area of the rash and see if it makes any difference.

Has he bathed since the pool? I would think bath, then apply anything if necessary. I'd want to wash away the chlorine or whatever.

Sometimes I get heat rash all over my trunk (just wake up that way), but it doesn't really look like pimples. So I don't think that's it.

I am very careful to make him bathe or at least rinse quickly after swimming. Last week when he used our local pool every day, he would have showered within an hour of pool usage. Today when he used the pool, he dried and changed his shorts immediately while there, then showered properly when he got back (about twenty minutes later).

Yes, kinda. Lots of the bumps look like pimples (filled with white). Sorry about tmi.

Sometimes kids require TMI. :ohmy:

If he does have the folliculitis, our doctor recommended salicylic acid to treat the rash (it's acne cream). We just got Neutrogena All-in-One Acne Cream (or something like that), and liberally dotted him with it. It was gone in a few days -- mostly as the "acne" cleared up. 

Ds has broken out in a full-body rash. No fever now nor recently.

He has struggled since last Wednesday with what we assumed was jock itch from swimming. Dh didn't see a specific rash, so we were treating with OTC antifungals. They helped a little but not as much as hoped, though the pharmacist said it can take 7-10 days.

This morning he did have some scratch marks near his neck, but his body was pretty clear. We assumed he was scratching in his sleep or maybe got a bug bite.

We were out of town all weekend. The kids swam in the pool in the morning. (We made sure ds dried thoroughly and then applied the antifungals right away.) We drove home today. When we left this morning, ds looked normal but was tired. He slept a little in the car, but we attributed that to lots of vacation fun with cousins.

By the time we arrived home, ds broke out in a full body rash. His trunk is covered with raised red bumps, many of which look like pimples. The rash extends to both arms and his face, and he has a few bumps on one leg.

We slathered him with Caladryl and are trying to help soothe him to sleep now. He is very, very itchy.

Ds had chicken pox years ago. Could he have it again??? With no fever???

Is there another possibility to consider?

Poison ivy??? He does do a lot of yard work. He spent last week weeding and spreading mulch (chips from dead ash trees) in the gardens. I would have thought that he would have reacted the day he did the work, though. It has been five days since he did that work. It also doesn't make sense that such a reaction would start in the groin area.

Any thoughts?

I am so sorry to hear this happened. IMHO, I would definitely take him to the doctor just to be on the safe side.

I read this article on nickel allergies triggered by electronics:

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Health-News/nickel-allergy-iPad-electronics/2014/07/15/id/582696/

Any chance he had more than the usual exposure to electronics?

Hope you figure it out soon.

Doubt it. If anything, he has had less exposure to electronics in the last few weeks because of our recent move and because of our vacation this weekend.

Thanks anyway, though.