Menu

Can anyone review LLTL

susankhan

Hi everyone,  Im trying to come up with something to go along with LoL (Layers of Learning) and I really am thinking of purchasing Language Lessons Through Literature (now called English Lessons Through Literature).   For some reason I think this will go well with LoL .  If I purchase this is Bravewriter needed?  Im just at another loss :(

http://www.barefootmeandering.com/

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions :)

Thanks Hunter.   I just purchased ELTL as I do not want to think way to hard into this.  It looked like a great fit to me as well and I want to go with my gut feeling this time :)   Thanks for all your advise it has helped my family so much!

I have not seen the newest editions and upper volumes of ELTL, but I really don't think you need to supplement with Bravewriter. It's been months since I talked to the author, but her original intent was for her programs to be all you need, and I cannot imagine her losing that goal, since she appears to be putting out other subjects as well, now.

I would use the program as written for at least a few months before looking at whether you think it needs supplementing. Get to know it first. Use it. Read ahead. See how your child is growing or not growing.

If you are starting LoL, that is another program that is new to you, that you need to evaluate and learn to use. There is literature added to the arts, and writing lessons all throughout the 4 strands. There is plenty there to keep you busy and learning. The more I read through LoL and LLATL, the more I see that I do not need to add anything. And I really need to see how they mesh, before I would know what to add, if anything.

I have tossed around the idea of seeing the new editions and later volumes of ELTL. They use public domain texts and the hardcopy books are smaller and the pdfs are better designed for tablet reading.

I have hardcopy TMs of most of LLATL, but I know I want to go eBook, so either way, I will be purchasing eBook English at some point.

I have a student already invested in SOTW audiobooks and coloring pages. I'm not going to interrupt her midstream, but I won't be using SOTW with any new students at least this year. I have Mr. Q and probably will add 3 ESP labs with variables, as my students are used to and demand those.

Mostly I want to stick to LoL and 1 English program until I'm sure I need to supplement. The more I read ahead, the more sure I am that I do not need to supplement.

I have ELTL 1-3, though I have only actually progressed through the first half of 1.  We love it and recommend it to everyone.  

I do feel it is a "complete" program.  The only thing I would potentially add is spelling, and maybe writing for a student grades 4+ (but ELTL 4+ aren't out yet, so they may include more writing instruction than the earlier books).      

We are well into level 3 and I have level 4, they are actually a bit behind my kids grade levels but I love them so much and we kind of intersperse other things that I feel completely comfortable using them. We were using Shurley and WWE and my kiddos much prefer ELTL. I have enjoyed the literature selections so far, I haven't even read many of them. I have my 6th grader do outlines and some additional stuff but at least at level 3 it is complete for my 4th grader. We do add spelling in the form of Spelling Workout. I really love this program and recommend it to everyone.