Menu

Help me make Singapore more "spiral"?

Sue G in PA

I've been using Singapore Math for years now. It has worked well for my kids until now. My rising 6th grader doesn't seem to be retaining anything from Unit to Unit. He need more built-in review than what Singapore offers. For financial reasons, I have to use what I have for Math. Since I already have the Textbooks and the workbooks are so cheap, I have to stick with this. :/ Could anyone help me figure out how to build in more review so he doesn't keep forgetting concepts? I also have an old Saxon 6/5 textbook that I contemplated using for him. I'm not sure what to do. Could I somehow combine those? Any ideas that wouldn't require me to purchase anything else? Or at least that wouldn't be more expensive than purchasing the next Singapore workbook ($12 or so)? My brain is fried from planning and I just need somebody to say, "Do this". Thanks.

Why don't you just start? Sometimes the only way we know how something will work in action is to put the plan in motion by starting. Pick a 7-,10-, 14-, or 30-day trial period and try different things until you find what works.

You can try doing 2 math sessions a day--teach him Singapore during the school time with you and let him do 1 Saxon lesson as independent homework in the evenings. Or switch, you teach/oversee Saxon and he does Singapore on his own in the evenings.

When the first trial is up, you may switch and do a trial of using Singapore 3 days a week, and Saxon 3 days. Or doing 3 Saxon lessons over the weekend.

Just start and slowly try and "jiggle" it all into place until it fits.

You may want to purchase the IP workbook and stagger the lessons so that you are assigning problems in the IP book that were completed previously in the textbook/workbook. That would provide more review as you progress in the textbook/workbook

I agree. It has the added benefit of being not just review but challenging review. The IP takes the lessons further with larger numbers, word problems, and just generally harder material. There are more problems than you would see in the regular workbook.

Ok...either purchase the IP, or the Extra Practice workbooks.  And maybe even the Test books.  Purchase IP if he needs more challenge, Extra Practice if he just really needs more practice of the concepts, without going further in depth.

Here's how I make Singapore spiral.

I introduce the lesson.  With my son (who is accelerated), I can go lesson by lesson each day of the week.  I try not to introduce "new" material near the end of the week.  So for example, if he finishes up the multiplication unit on Wednesday, I won't necessarily start the next unit on Thursday.  

I have my math schedule for him set up so that he has review of recent topics a few days a week.  Either on MWF or T, TH.  On the day I introduce the lesson, I'll give him the WB page that corresponds to that lesson...we'll often work through it together.  If there are other workbook pages that correspond to that lesson, I'll put them aside and randomly rotate them in to his independent work folder.  

Every day, he also has a work page from CWP or some other problem solving workbook.  So that reviews concepts, too.  

So basically, he works on a new topic for a day or two and, assuming he's understood it well enough, moves on to the next.  But several times a week, he has random review pages that I pull from the WB, from IP, and from the Test Book.  By mixing those sheets up, he gets the spiral review he needs to really cement those concepts.

Then...over the summer, as part of our summer math, whatever pages from Singapore he hasn't already done, I'll give him to work on over the summer.  So for example, last week, he had some Singapore pages that reviewed time and fractions, concepts he'd learned much earlier this year.  

I hope that helps and isn't too confusing, lol.  It works for us.  

We are only in 3a, but I took great advice from someone else on this board and saved the reviews for Fridays. So every Friday we have a review lesson. It seems to help. We also use IP and I can pull from the mid or end of year reviews in there as well if we ever run out of reviews from the TB or WB (right now the reviews are approximately 1 semester behind where we are in the text).

By "review lessons" do you mean the ones in the textbook? I will look at the extra practice books. He doesn't need more challenge at this point...just more review. I am thinking of staggering the Singapore and Saxon. Idk. Lol.

Yup, the ones in the textbook and workbook. I haven't seen the higher level books but in 1 through 3a (standards edition) there are reviews in the TB and a corresponding 4 page or so spread in the WB every so often. We skip them when they come up and save them for Fridays. :)

Didax Daily Mental Math. 20 problems per day mixed review for <$8. My DS will be using the 5th grade one this fall along side SM 4.

Thanks for suggesting these, they look like something my kids would really enjoy and I'm going to order some. Do you think the grade levels on them match up pretty closely to SM? 

I don't know about the lower grades since this is the first year we will use them. But when I looked at the S&S, I had to go a grade up to match SM 4.

CW, do you happen to have a link to the Didax S&S? I found sample pages on their website but haven't located S&S.  TIA!

We've been successfully using Math Minutes to do this same type of daily review, but we've reached the end of that series (grade 8).  Looks like Didax goes up to grade 10.  And I haven't heard of it before, so thank you! :hurray: