Menu

Robotics Kits: Mindstorms or ???

tangledoak

I'm adding in robotics for my first grade son this coming year. Thing is, I have no idea which kit to choose. What do I need to know? Care to share your success/struggles with robotics kits?

Mindstorms seem amazing, but may be out of the budget this year. My kids have a huge lego collection and spend 50+ hours a week, collectively, building legos. So that alone makes me lean towards a lego based robotics setup. However, I am totally open to other ideas.

We have Windows based OS, but we don't necessarily need a kit that uses computer controls.

I really need some help with this one! TIA

I would not get Mindstorms for a 1st grader...

That said, we attended a lego class at a local lego place and they used various kits from lego education, which is a completely different site than regular legos.

The kits were smaller, and assumably, more reasonably priced, but still had robotics and stuff. I would check that out, and work your way up to Mindstorms.

Lego class, how fun! Which lego set would you recommend for a six year old? He builds fairly advanced vehicles that transform and hinge and such.

I saw wedo and simplemachines, for robotics. Did you have a chance to use either of them at the lego class?

I would not get Mindstorms for a 1st grader...

If I may ask, why? 2nd grade or 3rd?

Does it depend on the child?

Is there math at a 4th grade level in it or . . . some other reason?

Just trying to understand why and have an advanced mathy lego loving boy also.

Would love to add this maybe for us but undecided.

The age range on them is pretty high... Other than that, we have tinkerer with them at snapology, friends houses, etc.... It seems to me that if the kid isn't able to type well, or doesn't have a basic understanding of computer programming- they won't get much out if it. Especially independently, DS needed some help when he tinkered with the set before.

I could be wrong; but, DS is 10- very computer "oriented," and I think he could do well with it now. I think now he could do more independently, and not need DH to do all the programming.

It really is more computer programming than motors, if that makes sense.

I dunno, maybe someone who actually has the set can tell you more- maybe I'm wrong and they can tell you why :)

Eta: http://geekmom.com/2013/08/ev3-review-lego-robot/

Does it depend on the child?

Is there math at a 4th grade level in it or . . . some other reason?

As long as the child is interested and you don't mind spending the money, age is not a deterrent.

No math required, at least none that I can think of :). Its drag and drop programming to start with.

The RobotC is harder but there is enough fun for younger kids without going into RobotC programming.

I have the NXT retail set bought few years ago and the EV3 educational core and add-on set. My boys are asking for more sensors.

My 8 year old was in the 6 to 9 year old Mindstorm class at YMCA and the 6 year olds did great.

ETA:

If your child have not try Scratch, I'll say give that a go first. Its free and the drag and drop interface is similar in idea.

http://scratch.mit.edu/