Menu

Map Traceing/ Blobbing

anmom

I really need to add some type of geography study to our curriculum. I have been intrigued by map traceing and/or blobbing. However, I would really like to see how exactly this works with others. Is there a book or curriculum that anyone would suggest? Or just what geography looks like in your home? 

I do not know what blobbing is, but I love map tracing.

I find a map to trace the country/continent/state, allow the child to trace and color then find a nore detailed map so they can add details..terrain, cities, drawings of significant happenings in the area.

I pull facts from different places (books, internet, friends), then find fun facts and teach them that way.

The book the Core describes Map blopping. One of the Draw Write Now books has a detailed way of blobbing. I think it is book 7. Ours our packed up currently so maybe someone else can chime in. Another option that a lot of people like is drawing the world by art (or something like that).  What age is your child. In the lower grades we did Evan Moor Daily Geography. With my older child we have added Memoria Press Geography. I spend so much time on other subjects that I found I never got around to geography and the blobbing. The Memoria press is an open and close workbook. We also do stack the states and stack the county apps on the ipod.

HPH

The blog halfahundredacrewood.com has some suggestions and printables for map tracing and drawing. So far, we've only worked on drawing the continents as 'blobs'. We aren't very close to details yet, but we've only done it for one year. We also traced one state a week onto a notecard and talked about where it's located on the map. My boys enjoyed it and have had some retention, but we need years and years more practice!

Blobbing helped my son greatly. Before he would be such a perfectionist that nothing would actually get done. With the idea of it even remotely needing to be anything but a wobbly circle, he was able to start. Slowly refining the initial blobs went well and by the end of this school year he should have a fairly legible map of the world.

I think the greatness of the idea comes from the ability of anyone to be able to do it: no expectations, no need for much ability, just a few circle things.