Menu

Games at a wedding reception?

marbel

The other day I was talking to someone who is getting married soon, and he asked me what sort of games we played at our wedding reception.  I got confused for a minute, thinking he meant shower, but no.  He and his fiancee are planning to have games at the wedding reception.  He looked equally surprised when I said we had not had any and were unfamiliar with the concept.

So I'm curious now because I've never seen games at a wedding reception.  Do people do that?   What sorts of games do they play?  

(I'm not looking for ideas to pass on to my friend.   Just curious about it.)

ETA: BTW, this person is from the US.

Although I wouldn't necessarily call them games, I have attended plenty of weddings that included a "Dollar Dance" and some form of antics to see who takes home the centerpiece for the table (often directed by the DJ at the couples request). Other than those two though, I'm with you.Games at a wedding? :confused1:

I don't know if this qualifies as a game, but at one wedding I attended someone came around and passed out old keys to all of the youngish women in the room.  At the beginning of the best man's toast he asked all of the women who had keys to the groom's apartment to please return them and everyone stood up and brought them up. It wouldn't be suitable for many situations, but the groom did appreciate the ladies and the couple took it in the fun it was intended.

I've never heard of that (aside from people who have board game themed weddings on Pinterest or something.)

I've been to one wedding where people pinned/threw money at the bride, and one where everyone passed a dollar around the table and the person holding it when the music stopped got to take home the centerpiece.

I wonder where the guy got the idea for it.  I hope he asks some other people and gets the same blank stare I gave him and abandons the idea.  I'm picturing group games, ugh!    (I also wonder what his fiancee thinks of it.)   

At my friend's wedding reception there was a couple games for the wedding couple. They were both Asian. I'd never experienced those kinds of games before. One was they had to drink a concoction made by a guest (also Asian), another game ended with the groom piggy-backing the bride and then the bride piggy-backed the groom. She did have on a long, full wedding dress, so it was pretty impressive. There was also the required photo taken with the wedding party and all the guests (definitely an Asian thing).

I'm Canadian, and I'd heard many a rumor that at traditional Newfoundland weddings there is kissing of a cod fish. I've never been to a Newfie wedding, so I don't really know who has to kiss the cod or whether it's a game or an excuse to drink more alcohol. (;

Games are pretty common around here.  Blindfold the groom then have all the brides maids and bride sit on chairs to see if the groom can figure out who the bride is by feeling their legs.  - only the bride gets moved off the chair as soon as the groom puts on the blindfold and an old grandma type is put in her place.

Then it's the brides turn, only with the grooms men and feeling their tush.

Stupid stupid games. 

Dh and I specifically told our DJ "absolutely no games" - we even had it in writing.  They still did the games. :banghead:

Agreeing with Island Girl. I have seen the dollar dance. If the guy thinks that and the throwing of the garter and bouquet are "games" then those are the ones I've seen. Oh yes, and the process of who gets to take home the centerpiece at their table. Other than that I've just seen the usual toast and dancing. My sister and her now-xdh had a slide show with commentary by the best man and MOH--just a few pictures of what they each were like as kids and how it led up to that big day.

That's it!

Maybe he's thinking of games for the wedding night . . . ;)

Games are pretty common around here.  Blindfold the groom then have all the brides maids and bride sit on chairs to see if the groom can figure out who the bride is by feeling their legs.  - only the bride gets moved off the chair as soon as the groom puts on the blindfold and an old grandma type is put in her place.

Stupid stupid games. 

Dh and I specifically told our DJ "absolutely no games" - we even had it in writing.  They still did the games. :banghead:

I am... stunned.    

I have probably been to 75 weddings in the past few years (job related). I have only seen the type of games you describe ONCE. It was at the event of a very young couple who had contracted an overbearing DJ to provide music for the event. Some guests participated enthusiastically, while most tried to politely "fringe" participate.

Most guests get uncomfortable when the DJ jumps the shark. I have seen, several times, the dance where participants are asked to sit down at various times and the longest married couple remains. Also, there's a type of dance that starts with the wedding party who then each get another partner to dance with from the crowd, and so on, to get everyone up and participating in the dancing. One dance like that would be fine. But I advise against the party games, it's really unsophisticated.

As for other games - if space permits, some people do set up yard games like bocce ball or a ball/sack toss (not unlike horseshoes). This works well if there are going to be older children attending who might enjoy the activity.

Outside of the bouquet toss and garter toss, the only "game" I witnessed was the DJ asking all the married couples out on the dance floor during a special song just for them. Then he would say, "Any couples married less than a day, please leave the dance floor." The dancing would continue for a little longer, then he would say, "Any couples married less than five years may now leave the floor." It continued on in that manner until only the longest married couple remained on the dance floor. It was a very sweet way to honor them and their marriage.

Games are pretty common around here. Blindfold the groom then have all the brides maids and bride sit on chairs to see if the groom can figure out who the bride is by feeling their legs. - only the bride gets moved off the chair as soon as the groom puts on the blindfold and an old grandma type is put in her place.

. :banghead:

Ick!

Outside of the bouquet toss and garter toss, the only "game" I witnessed was the DJ asking all the married couples out on the dance floor during a special song just for them. Then he would say, "Any couples married less than a day, please leave the dance floor." The dancing would continue for a little longer, then he would say, "Any couples married less than five years may now leave the floor." It continued on in that manner until only the longest married couple remained on the dance floor. It was a very sweet way to honor them and their marriage.

I guess I don't really think of this as a "game" but I have heard of it. I think games have an element of silliness to them. This married couples dance just seems an indirect way to honor marriage and wish the newlyweds a long and happy one. Not silly in the least.

I remember games at a French country wedding - identify your husband whilst blindfolded by feeling for his knees was one that I remember.  All the husbands lined up with one trouser leg rolled up and their foot up on a chair.  The wives were blindfolded and had to work their way down the row until they found the correct knees.

I haven't seen games in the UK or China.

L

I remember games at a French country wedding - identify your husband whilst blindfolded by feeling for his knees was one that I remember.  All the husbands lined up with one trouser leg rolled up and their foot up on a chair.  The wives were blindfolded and had to work their way down the row until they found the correct knees.

L

How embarrassing if she chose the wrong guy! 

Games at showers are bad enough...lame, and interfere with visiting with those you haven''t seen in a while and were looking forward to seeing.

Let's hope it doesn't catch on and become the"in" thing to do

Agreed. If I want to play games, I'll organize dinner and a round of Monopoly at my house. At a wedding, I want to celebrate the bride and groom.

Games are pretty common around here. Blindfold the groom then have all the brides maids and bride sit on chairs to see if the groom can figure out who the bride is by feeling their legs. - only the bride gets moved off the chair as soon as the groom puts on the blindfold and an old grandma type is put in her place.

Nope.

The only wedding we attended with "games' was a simple wedding in a barn.  The guys wore jeans, girls simple western style dresses, guests were mostly in jeans or shorts.  It was causal.  The games though were a totally optional thing and included things like horse shoes, mini golf for kids, lawn darts, bean bag toss, etc.  There were lots of kids there and most games were just things for them to do.  Still one of our all time favorite weddings as it was very low key, esp. the reception but very nice and lots of fun.

As to "you must play these games" type things at a reception, NOPE, NOT FOR ME>

L

o_0

Bonnie Knees contest at a Highland Games...sure.

At a wedding...no. Just...no.

I attended a wedding in Germany and there were quite a few games. It was a long day which went from a civil ceremony at 10:00AM, to a church wedding, to a reception that ran until 4:00AM the next day, so it was good to break up the time. They were sometimes sweet (poems about the couple made up by attendees vying to be most romantic), sometimes silly (bride and groom sit back to back and hold up a shoe to guess who will be in charge of which items in their home), and sometimes just downright weird (the leg game mentioned above).

Here in the US, however, I've never seen any games at a reception.

The only wedding we attended with "games' was a simple wedding in a barn.  The guys wore jeans, girls simple western style dresses, guests were mostly in jeans or shorts.  It was causal.  The games though were a totally optional thing and included things like horse shoes, mini golf for kids, lawn darts, bean bag toss, etc.  There were lots of kids there and most games were just things for them to do.  Still one of our all time favorite weddings as it was very low key, esp. the reception but very nice and lots of fun.

As to "you must play these games" type things at a reception, NOPE, NOT FOR ME>

This, I think, is nice.

I had to reread the title of this thread just to make sure I read it right.  I've never heard of playing games at a wedding reception.  If I knew there were going to be games at something like this, I'd avoid it completely.  It sounds like a very stupid idea.

My oldest son wanted to have games at his wedding.  I recoiled thinking of stupid games that might come with that suggestion.  Upon doing some research yes indeed there were stupid games you could play at weddings.  He had several planned, but thankfully, there was no time and it never happened.

However, we did do these two things.

While my son and his wife were dating, one of things they did often was sit in the swing in her yard and do word searches.

And of course, what boy doesn't grow up loving legos.

We made a word search and printed it out and left several on each table along with some pencils.  While the guest were chatting and waiting on their turn for the buffet line, they could choose to do or not do the word searches. Many did and said they enjoyed it!

We also had a small gift bag with legos on each table.  The master and mistress of ceremonies encouraged everyone to work together and come up a lego creation at each table. We made sure to include figures, a horse, or something in each bag.

Someone at every table made a creation and the photographer went around and took pictures.  And yes, we got all the legos back and the grand kids play with them now. 

My oldest son wanted to have games at his wedding.  I recoiled thinking of stupid games that might come with that suggestion.  Upon doing some research yes indeed there were stupid games you could play at weddings.  He had several planned, but thankfully, there was no time and it never happened.

While my son and his wife were dating, one of things they did often was sit in the swing in her yard and do word searches.

We made a word search and printed it out and left several on each table along with some pencils.  While the guest were chatting and waiting on their turn for the buffet line, they could choose to do or not do the word searches. Many did and said they enjoyed it!

We also had a small gift bag with legos on each table.  The master and mistress of ceremonies encouraged everyone to work together and come up a lego creation at each table. We made sure to include figures, a horse, or something in each bag.

Someone at every table made a creation and the photographer went around and took pictures.  And yes, we got all the legos back and the grand kids play with them now. 

I like those ideas a lot.  I was at a wedding earlier this summer that had so much "down" time, it was maddeningly boring.  Part of it was that we didn't know a soul there, but everyone else stayed in their little pockets of friends so we were outsiders.  My husband and I can talk anytime, right?  And we were trapped at banquet tables anyway.  A word puzzle or legos to mess with would have been very welcome! 

Though I read the bolded sentence as "what boy doesn't grow up loving legs" at first and wondered if they had done the "ID your bride by her legs" thing. ;)

Add me to the anti-games camp.

I think the wedding Ottakee described sounds like it was a lot of fun, but it sounds like it was more of a casual barbecue kind of atmosphere, rather than a formal wedding.

It was more informal.  The wedding was in one barn and the reception was in another barn with lawn games, etc. outside.  I think they had hay rides at some point and popcorn machine, etc. for people to snack on.  Everyone knew though that it was a casual wedding and came in jeans, causal skirts, etc. and nothing was a "must do" just options while you were socializing.

I don't think I could identify my husband by feeling his knees.   :huh:  Do most of you feel like you could?

Some one mentioned up thread about a picture with all the guests and the wedding party.  I was at a wedding last weekend where they took a picture of all the guest, wedding party, bride and groom.  I had never been to a wedding where they did that before.  There were about 100 guests.  They also did big extended family pictures with all cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.

The wedding also had a photo-booth with props, which seems to be very popular these days.

I have occasionally seen things like this at weddings. All were optional. And not necessarily common. One of my friends had pipe cleaners on the table and I think we had a pipe cleaner hat contest (optional, and friend knew it was goofy, but friend is known for being goofy). I think I have seen a few different paper quizzes to get to know people around your table (usually like how you know the couple, where are you from etc...).

I have also seen available games (like bean bags, coloring books) at casual, or kid populated receptions.

I have never seen mandatory type games, and hopefully never will or dh will never go to a wedding again lol. ( I wouldn't want to go either). And I would say all the areas of the US I have lived in games of any type are not typical at weddings.

I don't think I could identify my husband by feeling his knees.   :huh:  Do most of you feel like you could?

I have no idea!  It has been a very long time since I touched anyone else's knees.   (Other than my kids' though I don't remember the last time I touched their knees either!)  :laugh:

I don't guess I'll be trying anytime soon either.  :lol:

"I don't think I could identify my husband by feeling his knees. Do most of you feel like you could?"

I am a physical therapist, I have touched a lot of knees. My dh is 6'6", has a large bone structure, and I have felt his knees before. And I would be surprised if I could identify him by feeling his knees.