Menu

Math Mammoth's new Pre-Algebra

Has anyone else got MM7A?

I bought it and we have been using it for 5 weeks. We worked through chapter 1 which was mostly review but with more challenge than in MM6. We skipped chapter 2 because dd is solid on negative numbers - this chapter looks very similar to the integer chapter in old MM6. It looks good but maybe not much new here for those who used the old version. We are just finishing chapter 3. This chapter focused on solving and writing simple equations. It offered a lot of practice with everything broke down very step by step.

Looking ahead: The first half of chapter 4 looks like review of decimals and fractions (now with negatives), then the second half will have the student solving equations with both. Chapter 5 looks like all new material (compared to old MM6) - work with increasingly difficult equations and an intro to graphing.

The teaching of concepts is spot on, IMO. It is not too wordy, but it says enough that most kids/parents will have no problem following. There are several "explain why subtraction is not commutative" or "draw a picture that shows: 4(x + 9) = 4x + 4(9)" exercises. (after it has been taught) I love that this type of exercise is in the main lessons and the reviews. Kids should not be able to remember for the lesson and then forget.

It is more of the same MM, overall. If you and/or your child liked MM up to this point, you will like MM7. I am not crazy about MM in the younger years, but from 4th grade up, I love each year more and more. This one does not disappoint. ;)

Also, I know many of us were worried, but there does seem to be quite a bit of new material compared to the old MM 6. We finished MM 6 last January so it has been awhile, but I would say that *at least* half of the material is new.

FWIW, I am using MM alongside AoPS. MM is a great program on its own, but it also makes a good supplement. It is so efficient to be able to print only the chapters or parts of chapters where dd could use the extra practice/review. It would be too much for my dd to try to complete both, so I love that flexibility with MM.

I bought it and we have been using it for 5 weeks. We worked through chapter 1 which was mostly review but with more challenge than in MM6. We skipped chapter 2 because dd is solid on negative numbers - this chapter looks very similar to the integer chapter in old MM6. It looks good but maybe not much new here for those who used the old version. We are just finishing chapter 3. This chapter focused on solving and writing simple equations. It offered a lot of practice with everything broke down very step by step.

Looking ahead: The first half of chapter 4 looks like review of decimals and fractions (now with negatives), then the second half will have the student solving equations with both. Chapter 5 looks like all new material (compared to old MM6) - work with increasingly difficult equations and an intro to graphing.

The teaching of concepts is spot on, IMO. It is not too wordy, but it says enough that most kids/parents will have no problem following. There are several "explain why subtraction is not commutative" or "draw a picture that shows: 4(x + 9) = 4x + 4(9)" exercises. (after it has been taught) I love that this type of exercise is in the main lessons and the reviews. Kids should not be able to remember for the lesson and then forget.

It is more of the same MM, overall. If you and/or your child liked MM up to this point, you will like MM7. I am not crazy about MM in the younger years, but from 4th grade up, I love each year more and more. This one does not disappoint. ;)

Also, I know many of us were worried, but there does seem to be quite a bit of new material compared to the old MM 6. We finished MM 6 last January so it has been awhile, but I would say that *at least* half of the material is new.

FWIW, I am using MM alongside AoPS. MM is a great program on its own, but it also makes a good supplement. It is so efficient to be able to print only the chapters or parts of chapters where dd could use the extra practice/review. It would be too much for my dd to try to complete both, so I love that flexibility with MM.

Thanks for the review. I may just buy it for myself for Christmas. My DD won't be ready for it until spring, but it might be a fun winter project for me to work through it a bit ahead of her. She has done MM since 1B and is a new 10-year old. I'm finally seeing her slow down just a tad in 6A, so I think working alongside her 'buddy' style may be important in 7A.

I am using 7A with DS, not having used any math mammoth before save a little in 6a and some fractions worksheets. We like it and it is our primary prealgebra program. Coming from Singapore though, I find it almost too incremental, but those parts are easily skipped and I'd rather the parent make the decision (and have the ability to go back if needed). I think because we skip over so much (but do the reviews and chapter tests religiously) we're down to a week or two left in 7a (7b is not out yet) and I'm not sure what we'll do. Use Lial's, I think.

ETA: I was just on her website and see she has 25% off until Dec 1, if that helps anyone.