Menu

CLE Math and teacher manuals

arnold

You need the TM in Grade 1--since the kids are assumed to be learning to read, most of the directions are in the TM.  I think 2nd grade is kind of like that too.  3rd--I'm too far away from to remember.  5th--you can get the Answer Keys.  I just used Answer Keys with my oldest.

BUT that being said, now that CLE has put the answers in the TM, I prefer the big TM.  It has copies of all of the students pages with the answers written in, and it's just WAY easier for me to check their work that way.  I don't use the notes in the TM very often, really not at all, but it's all about reading the answers--I actually had the 5th grade Answer Keys from my oldest but I shelled out for the TM this year (they just added the answers to the TM a year or so ago) because it was so worth it.

So my input is--you don't NEED the TM for Grade 5, but I SUGGEST buying the TM for all three years that you are looking at--

Betsy

The TM are cheaper than the answer keys for grades 1-3, and you do need them for grade 1. The word problems, dictation, how much money to put in the money cup... all of that is in the TM, and you'd be missing a lot of the program without it. Second grade doesn't have much reliance on the TM, but again, it's cheaper than the answer keys at that level.

I prefer the TMs also. They have actual student pages with the answer written in. The answer keys are just answers. You will also need the flash cards for grade one, and then they continue to be used for grade 2 and possibly grade 3? It is a different system than regular addition/subtraction cards. For mult/div any flahcards will do.

I prefer the TMs also. They have actual student pages with the answer written in. The answer keys are just answers. You will also need the flash cards for grade one, and then they continue to be used for grade 2 and possibly grade 3? It is a different system than regular addition/subtraction cards. For mult/div any flahcards will do.

I love the addition/subtraction flash card system! I don't start using it until grade 2 LUs though. In the grade 1 LUs, I let the kid use manipulatives during lessons and speed drills.

So that's just another option.

The TM are cheaper than the answer keys for grades 1-3, and you do need them for grade 1. The word problems, dictation, how much money to put in the money cup... all of that is in the TM, and you'd be missing a lot of the program without it. Second grade doesn't have much reliance on the TM, but again, it's cheaper than the answer keys at that level.

This is what I was going to say.  We use the TMs for grades 1-3, but after that, I switch over to the answer keys.

Yup!

I use the TM for first for the story problems, the money cup and dictation. Sometimes I have to check something that had to be done in the title bar. Oddly my son knows exactly what to do then. But other than that I don't use them. But those things it is essential for. I just don't really like scripted lessons and thus far my son hasn't not understood anything yet.

Oh and I use them to tell me what to count for the day.

Hmm. I probably use them more than I think. There are some good things taught. Like addition twins. I never thought to explain them like that. My son got that swiftly. And the use of terms like congruent are good to get into the habit of saying.