Menu

What age is best to start with FLL and WWE?

I started FLL1 with my 6.5yr old. We didn't get too far through so when she turned 7 and moved into grade 2 I started FLL2 with her. I find it to be quite easy considering it is mostly oral. I have a 5.5yr old so just wondering when I should start her on FLL1?

I have my DD7 doing WWE1. The line spaces are soooooo big, that I have to write out the copy work in a lined exercise book that has smaller spaces. She doesn't have any problem with the copy work at all, meaning the amount or the perfection of copying. I don't want my now 5.5yr getting to WWE1 and having the lines too big for her too, so how soon could I get her started on WWE1? Currently DD7 is doing a weeks worth in 2 days so perhaps I could speed her through to WWE2 or perhaps even get WWE2 now for her, so that I can have them both on separate levels.

What does a child need to be able to do to do FLL1 and WWE1?

That sounds like a pretty good plan.  

I began FLL with my DD when she was about 5.5 YO  also - we went slowly even though it was easy for her to grasp.  

We started WWE a bit later.  She didn't have the desire to physically write, so we just did verbal exercises in the WWE style, but with whatever read aloud we were working through.  When we DID start the writing portion of WWE I also found the lines uncomfortable, so we just used paper from Handwriting Without Tears (or sometimes I used their free worksheets).

I don't know if that helped much, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

We started WWE1 then stopped for 6 months when my eldest was 6.5. My 4.5 year old was able to do it by then too (I think ds7 would be better reading it himself). So basically I think it depends on the child. I just bought exercise books with appropriate lines in them though and read off my kindle.

I think it depends on your children. If you think they are mentally capable of doing FLL1 and WWE1 now, then go for it. FWIW, I start mine on both at 5. However, we don't do the copywork at this point in time. He's only 5 1/2 now.

Is this correct? I don't know. But I feel he's ready for them. We do cursive in another program and plan on doing the copywork later.

Hth.

We start once they are ready to do everything the programs call for(some reading/writing/and narration. Copywork is one of the main components of WWE IMO. My kids are usually ready for it by about 1st grade/6 yo.

In the instructor's text it has a pretty good explanation on when to start. I prefer the instructor's text so I can just sneak it into our other subjects without having to add "another subject" and the explanation of the program is outstanding.

We tried to start when my oldest was 6.  He did fine with FLL 1.  But, the copywork in WWE was frustratingly hard for him.  We put it away until half way through first grade and then he did much better.   On the other hand, the narrations used in WWE were a bit too easy for him.  So we ended up doing level 2 narration work.

NOTE:  Once we did start WWE, we did have to switch from the WWE workbook to the text.  The workbook used text samples that were way beyond my first graders reading levels.  So I didn't really see the point of having him copy something he couldn't read.  (Sort of OT---but are MOST 6 and 7 year olds reading things like Wizard of Oz independently?  Maybe my kids are just delayed, but I feel like the copywork samples are pretty advanced for first grade.) 

I actually like that FLL 1 is "easy" for first grade they don't need a rigorous grammar program. They actually don't really need any formal grammar in first. I find FLL perfect because it's quick, thorough, painless for the most, and retention is good.

My younger son sat in on FLL1 with the older ones while he was 4 - mostly because we did it first thing after his "preschool with mom" time. I was amazed at how much he picked up. he has memorized all the poems and many of the grammar definitions, even if he doesn't necessarily understand them. Having said that, I doubt I would have sat down with him at four and done the book lesson by lesson if he didn't have older siblings. Just because he *can* doesn't mean he *should* . FLL is great for a light, fun first grammar and seems to be great for very early elementary (duh, since that's for what it's intended lol) Exactly when probably depends on the individual child. A very unhelpful answer, just my experience :)

I would use FLL 1/2 with a K-2nd grade child. I use the older combo book and I found FLL1 to be too easy for my ds last year (1st grade 6 years old). He's going to move into FLL2 this year for 2nd however. I would use FLL1 with a Kinder. Not necessary for a Kinder to do it, but it could be done. I don't believe grammar really needs to be started earlier than 3rd grade, but I find FLL easy and gentle. 

WWE I would start when a child was ready for it. I started my oldest ds on WWE3 in 3rd grade and quickly pulled back to WWE2. He never did WWE1 and did not finish WWE4. 

I tried WWE1 with my 6 year old last year, but it was too much considering he was still trying to learn to read. We'll possibly try again for 2nd. I would ideally start WWE1 with a 2nd-3rd grader. Here's SWB updated recs for WWE/WWS. When my dd is ready I'm not even going to bother with WWE in 1st grade. And my oldest dropped WWE4 for Killgallon and I'm so glad we did.

http://downloads.peacehillpress.com/samples/pdf/WWEandWWSexplanation.pdf?utm_source=Catalog&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=Page%2B9&utm_campaign=2014%2BCatalog&page=10