Menu

Does anyone have a schedule for CAP W&R Fable?

Vida Winter

We just do one lesson a week.  It usually took my 2nd grader 4 full days to finish a lesson, and I expect the same in 3rd.  Each book has a slightly different number of lessons, you can check the TOC's.  I haven't tried to map it out in any more detail than that, although I suppose one could - there is a "typical school week" section at the front of the books.

The lessons sometimes vary in length. We also often did one lesson per week, taking 3 or 4 days. Now we can do one lesson in 2 days sometimes, but that's with a 5th grader finishing up the book.

They just all depend on your child's writing stamina. I usually did beginning up through copywork on day 1. Then dictation up until just before the final writing assignment on day 2. Then we'd do writing assignment on day 3. A few lessons have two writing assignments, so those would take one day each. If you plan to do rewrites and such (the "writing process" of rough draft, edit, rewrite), you'd need to add in extra days. We haven't rewritten anything. We just discuss what he wrote.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I mapped it all out. We are doing only Fable this year so I read through the book as I made the schedule, trying to keep the workload--and especially the physical act of writing--balanced for my 2nd grader. The amount of work assigned varies in each lesson, but my current plan is to have her work through it at a pretty gentle pace, completing one lesson every two to three weeks and only working on it 2-3x per week. Like so (each line being one day's work):

Lesson 1: Narration

L1: Talk About It + Copywork

L1: Go Deeper + Dictation

L1: Sentence Play

L1: Rewrite / Speak ItL2: Go Deeper + Dictation

L2: Sentence Play

L2: Summary

L2: Amplification / Speak It

L3: Narration

L3: Talk About It + Copywork

L3: Go Deeper + Dictation

L3: Sentence Play

L3: Copiousness

L3: Amplification

L3: Summary / Speak It

Whether this will work in practice or not remains to be seen. :) 

I've scheduled a lesson each week on Mon-Wed, but it could extend to Thurs and Friday if needed....those days are just freewrite and emailing a weekly summary for the writing time, so we could finish up the lesson then.  (Not speaking from experience, though...we haven't started our school year yet.)