Menu

Crash Course World History

Hi

I am trying to figure out a way to use Crash Course World History as our history course this year. I will have a sophomore and a freshman (and likely an elementary school tag a long). I can see the videos and they each last about ten minutes. We could certainly discuss them and talk about what is happening, but that wouldn't give me anything on paper.

Has someone else done this already and care to share?

Jennefer

Ha, my sister is using Crash Course US History with her dd16 as a preview for her APUSH class (dniece is not homeschooled). We were just talking about it this morning!

I think using the videos in combination w a spine of some sort and writing papers would make for a great (and entertaining) year of world history :)

We used CC World History last year along with readings from a textbook, essays, historical fiction and primary sources, documentaries and portfolio. It was pretty cool. Crash course can be refreshingly irreverent and isn't aimed at elementary aged kids, so be prepared for mention of "skoodilypooping" and such... We'll be watching the US History this year (and the new world history series just for fun).

Some of the AP World History teachers have students watch these over the summer and fill in guided outlines or questionnaires to encourage more active viewing. You can purchase these premade ones or you can also find some free ones by googling.

You didn't happen to run across any video viewing guides for US history, did you? 

FYI, apparently this John Green is also the author of "The Fault in Our Stars", did not know that. 

My 7th grader did Starline Press workbooks as her spine, and then I wrote on the topic of each section the Crash Course video that covered that period/topic.  She LOVED history if it was Crash Course (otherwise she loathes it).    Wish I had known about the viewing guides!!