Menu

Dancing Bears/Apples & Pears Shipping

Cheryl in CA

Thank you both!  I guess I'll just have to be patient, which really isn't one of my best attributes :blushing:   I knew it would take a while for my tiles and flash cards because they are coming from the UK but was hoping the rest of my order would be here sooner. 

Thank you both!  I guess I'll just have to be patient, which really isn't one of my best attributes :blushing:   I knew it would take a while for my tiles and flash cards because they are coming from the UK but was hoping the rest of my order would be here sooner. 

On two occasions, I have actually received my flash cards, via air mail, quicker than my workbooks. :p

In the meantime, have any of you used Bearing Away?  I'm getting it for my ds (almost K) who has an expressive language delay (receptive language is normal).  If so, I'd love to hear your experiences!  I'll also be using Dancing Bears A with my ds (almost 2nd grade).

Also, do any of you use Dancing Bears and A&P together?  If so, at what point in DB did you add A&P A?

In the meantime, have any of you used Bearing Away?  I'm getting it for my ds (almost K) who has an expressive language delay (receptive language is normal).  If so, I'd love to hear your experiences!  I'll also be using Dancing Bears A with my ds (almost 2nd grade).

I would love to know this too.  My 4 year old has apraxia and is in speech therapy, his receptive language is fine.  I'm ordered Bear Necessities for my 6 year old DD1 who needs a bit of a different approach with phonics & reading, I'm not sure if I'm just going to go through it much slower for DS2 or try Bearing Away.

I would love to know this too.  My 4 year old has apraxia and is in speech therapy, his receptive language is fine.  I'm ordered Bear Necessities for my 6 year old DD1 who needs a bit of a different approach with phonics & reading, I'm not sure if I'm just going to go through it much slower for DS2 or try Bearing Away.

I (obviously, LOL) have no experience yet but will tell you why I chose Bearing Away for my son in case it might be helpful.  While I love their products (I have used A&P Books C & D and anticipate loving DB ;)) I think they could improve the section for figuring out where to start a child in Dancing Bears and how to progress through the series prior to Book B because there are several options.  Maybe it's just me, but I found it confusing and would have liked a single page that outlined each book and had checklists or something to help decide where to begin and how to progress to Book B.  Unlike spelling, you have to begin at the beginning, but there are 3 different "beginnings" that cover the Level A material of Dancing Bears (Bearing Away, Bear Necessities, and Dancing Bears A) from which to choose, and more than one way to progress through them.  It made my head spin a little ;)

Bearing Away

Bearing Away is designed for pupils who haven't made a start at learning to read—pupils who can't even remember simple letter sounds.  It combines elements from the earliest stages of our reading and spelling programmes, and is used with our new Multi-sensory cards. All exercises are highly multi-sensory, and they are almost impossible to fail...When pupils have completed Bearing Away, they will be able to read and spell simple CVC words, and they will know the digraphs 'sh', 'ee' and 'ar'. They will then be ready to start on our normal programmes, Bear Necessities and Apples and Pears.

I chose to start my son in Bearing away based on the above quotes.  He knows his alphabet and probably all the sounds (it can be hard to tell) but cannot pronounce probably half of either, which makes things somewhat challenging ;)  He is also behind in his writing skills so they need to catch up as well.  I need to solidify the skills he knows and work on those he doesn't without getting ahead of his expressive language, which is where we were in the curriculum we'd been using (we couldn't go forward because of his expressive language and didn't want to repeat the level we just did).  I think the multi-sensory plastic tiles will be helpful for him so that is another reason I stepped back to Bearing Away and shelled out the $ for those.  He has not even begun to read CVC word or digraphs so he will learn quite a bit in it.

Bear Necessities A1

This book works in almost exactly the same way as Dancing Bears Book A, but new material is introduced much more slowly. The earliest exercises have been redesigned so that even the most severely dyslexic children can master them. In the earlier stages, print size is larger. Additional features include multi-sensory exercises to introduce capital letters, and little mini-scripts that can be used for group readings. Most 4- and 5- year olds will need no further help learning to read. After they have completed Bear Necessities Book A1, they should make good progress with normal, whole class instruction. The slowest readers should progress to Bear Necessities Book A2.

Bear Necessities Book A1 starts with our oral blending exercises, which teach phonemic awareness in a matter of days (if not minutes!). The basic flashcards—which are used at the start of each session—teach children instantaneous recognition of simple letter sounds and unambiguous digraphs (e.g., ee, ar, th, oi). The oral blending skills are gradually combined with letter recognition and transfered to print.  The transition is gentle enough to make sure that the pupil rarely makes a mistake.  Within two or three weeks, children are beginning to read simple three-letter words, such as hot and can.

After Bearing Away, I plan to take him through Bear Necessities to give us more time for expressive language to progress while still learning along the way.  I didn't start him in Bear Necessities because it "starts with oral blending exercises," and he is so not ready for oral blending yet!  He needs more time working on the individual sounds and mastering them before beginning blending.  It's hard to blend sounds you don't have ;)

Bear Necessities A2

This book covers the same material as Levels 2 and 3 in Dancing Bears Book A, but at a slower pace.

More exercises have been added, and the more difficult spelling patterns get extra attention.

My son will most likely go to this book instead of going from Bear Necessities A1 to Dancing Bears A because it will give him more time for expressive language to progress while still learning. 

Dancing Bears A

Dancing Bears Book A starts with Decoding Power Pages consisting of carefully-structured word lists of simple three-letter words, such as hot and can. Common, unambiguous digraphs—ee, ar, sh—are introduced very quickly to prevent children becoming fixated on one-letter-one-sound.

Less predictable spelling patterns and common irregular words (I, you, he, me, the) are introduced at a controlled rate in simple sentences with plenty of multi-sensory practice.  After the pupil has developed good basic decoding skills—these are introduced with our cloze sentences, which are designed to be amusing and instructive (later on, they play a big role in teaching vocabulary). Timed readings are used to encourage fluency.

Dancing Bears Book A teaches a wide range of one-syllable words, including consonant blends. This final page of cloze sentences will show you what a child should be able to read upon completion of this book.

This wasn't even close to being an option for my son.  If he does both Bear Necessities A1 and A2 he will skip this book and go right to Dancing Bears B.  I am starting my almost 2nd grade dd in this level.  She has no delays, can read CVC words, and recently started consonant blends.

For those who also recently placed an order, this morning I received a tracking number.  It's scheduled to be delivered on Monday :D  Now, I placed orders both last Wednesday and Thursday and don't know whether they combined the orders or if I'll get another notice tomorrow.  I guess I'll find out tomorrow, or when it arrives, LOL.  I'll also have two packages coming from the UK (one the flash cards and tiles, the other the readers from the UK site - we were in stitches reading the sample and had to get them) but haven't received notification regarding those.  She said she was going to put the readers in the post on Monday so I'm thinking I won't hear anything regarding stuff shipped from the UK.