Menu

Homeschooling in Ohio

What would I need to know or do to homeschool in Ohio?  We've read the laws, but how does that play out in everyday life?  Is the sentiment towards homeschooling favorable?  Exactly what subjects need to be covered?  Fine arts is to include music -- does that mean the child has to learn an instrument, or just study music theory?  

A move to Ohio isn't certain, just a possibility and we're doing the research to help us decide.  Anything you can tell me about homeschooling there would be a huge help!  

I have had no problems thus far going into our third year. We just have to notify the local school district and send in a list of the curricula we're using, but the form states that the list is for informational purposes only so I just make a simple list of the books and authors and don't stress about providing lots of detail. At the end of the year there is the option for testing or having an evaluation done by a certified teacher. We've chosen the evaluation each year.

Entering our third year of homeschooling in Ohio. As the prior poster mentioned, keep it brief and simple for the letter to the district. I sometimes for music just put "library and online resources, piano." I have been told but cannot 100% confirm that we have the option of doing either art or music. We do both, but our music instruction is pretty basic. They do a tiny bit of theory and _extremely_ intermittent piano lessons. We do weekly art lessons so I don't feel bad. We also listen to different CDs like the Story of Classical Music, etc.  I am sure what "counts" is partially dependent on age but as a general rule just report the minimum.  For math, I report the name of the curriculum only, not the level, etc.  

here is a template notification form that the local homeschool groups recommend we use:

http://www.cheohome.org/wp-content/uploads/cheo_images/pdf/notificationform.pdf

Very comfortable state to homeschool in.  We have AWESOME homeschool conventions, with both a Great Homeschool Conventions one in Cincy *and* the Teaching them Diligently convention in Sandusky this coming year. 

You're likely to have your pick of homeschool groups, depending on where you go.  In our area with have 3 large groups.  

You've read the state laws.  As the others said, your notification paperwork is informational only.  There's no time requirement, like 80 hours on art, blah blah.  I try to make sure I have something on my curriculum list I send them that reflects I have a plan for each thing required by law.  It might be something as informal as "health, fire safety, and PE, with field trips and informational books".  Don't stress over it.  The school board person who handles the forms here has been very nice to us.  One year I was a dingbat and sent the forms without my curriculum list.  She just called me and I sent it in.  I'm not sure they're uniformly nice everywhere, but they are here.  

I did the portfolio review with a certified teacher for several years, and that was a good process.  Each teacher has their own suggestions on what they want you to bring, so I suggest you find your teacher early into the year so you can ask them what they'll want to see.  That way you're not scrambling at the end.  If you go standardized testing, pretty much anything with a composite score works.  I usually use the CAT, because it's $25 through Seton or CLP, fast to administer, and gets me the number I need to submit.  You photocopy the results and can even cover up the breakdowns if you want, leaving just the composite.

When you get here, bop me a pm and I can add you to the Facebook group for the convention meet-ups.  We always have a great time.  I actually don't know which I'm going to do this coming year, Cincy or Sandusky.  Maybe both?  Wow that would be wild.  TTD has had some great speaker lists in the past, so I'm excited about them coming this way.  We'll see.  :)

Very comfortable state to homeschool in.  We have AWESOME homeschool conventions, with both a Great Homeschool Conventions one in Cincy *and* the Teaching them Diligently convention in Sandusky this coming year. 

You're likely to have your pick of homeschool groups, depending on where you go.  In our area with have 3 large groups.  

You've read the state laws.  As the others said, your notification paperwork is informational only.  There's no time requirement, like 80 hours on art, blah blah.  I try to make sure I have something on my curriculum list I send them that reflects I have a plan for each thing required by law.  It might be something as informal as "health, fire safety, and PE, with field trips and informational books".  Don't stress over it.  The school board person who handles the forms here has been very nice to us.  One year I was a dingbat and sent the forms without my curriculum list.  She just called me and I sent it in.  I'm not sure they're uniformly nice everywhere, but they are here.  

I did the portfolio review with a certified teacher for several years, and that was a good process.  Each teacher has their own suggestions on what they want you to bring, so I suggest you find your teacher early into the year so you can ask them what they'll want to see.  That way you're not scrambling at the end.  If you go standardized testing, pretty much anything with a composite score works.  I usually use the CAT, because it's $25 through Seton or CLP, fast to administer, and gets me the number I need to submit.  You photocopy the results and can even cover up the breakdowns if you want, leaving just the composite.

When you get here, bop me a pm and I can add you to the Facebook group for the convention meet-ups.  We always have a great time.  I actually don't know which I'm going to do this coming year, Cincy or Sandusky.  Maybe both?  Wow that would be wild.  TTD has had some great speaker lists in the past, so I'm excited about them coming this way.  We'll see.   :)

I'm in Ohio as well, and agree with everything the others have said. We are going into our second year and haven't had any issues. I send everything in and get my approval letter in a week or so, our superintendent's office (who handles the homeschool families) is very nice and seems to be fairly laidback. We opted to do the standardized testing, I don't know any local teachers so I went that route. 

I haven't had too easy of a time meeting other homeschoolers, though. It seems like a lot of the local co-ops are full, not secular, or....to be honest....unwelcoming. I've recently been looking more deeply to find others because I just know, that in my area, there have to be SOME (Cincinnati). I hope to find something, as we could definitely use some interation. I will say, there are a ton of awesome field trip opportunities here. 

Also, if you are going to end up close to the Cincy area, the Cincinnati Museum has Homeschool Mondays. 90 min. classes twice a month on different science/soc. studies topics. I just signed my kiddos up for the first time and we are all excited :)

Fine arts is to include music -- does that mean the child has to learn an instrument, or just study music theory?  

Don't be too rough on me, but for "Fine Arts" my kids just listen to the radio.  I have never specifically addressed many of the subjects we are required to teach in my documentation- i.e. fire safety, physical education or fine arts. 

Up until this year, I have never had a problem.  We have a new homeschooling coordinator this year who wants to "assist us" by creating his own set of laws.  The HSLDA is currently working to educate him.

Don't be too rough on me, but for "Fine Arts" my kids just listen to the radio.  I have never specifically addressed many of the subjects we are required to teach in my documentation- i.e. fire safety, physical education or fine arts. 

Up until this year, I have never had a problem.  We have a new homeschooling coordinator this year who wants to "assist us" by creating his own set of laws.  The HSLDA is currently working to educate hi

I didn't do anything for these last year, either. I *plan* on covering fire safety and music this year...phys ed is on my hubby and he dropped the ball on that one last year. I don't feel so badly though because both are active kids 

I agree with the others.  Homeschooling in Ohio is generally accepted. 

The law states that you must teach

(a) Language, reading, spelling, and writing:

(b) Geography, history of the United States and Ohio; and national, state, and local government;

© Mathematics;

(d) Science;

(e) Health;

(f) Physical education;

(g) Fine arts, including music; and

(h) First aid, safety, and fire prevention.  

It does not state that every one of those subjects must be taught every year, nor does it specify how much of the year must be spent on that subject. You agree to teach those subjects at some point before the child graduates.  When and how you teach them is up to you.  For example, one family might tour the local fire station.  Another might have informal discussions about fire prevention as the topic occurs during family life (why do we make sure campfires are extinguished or why do we check the batteries in our smoke detector twice a year). A third might use a formal curriculum.  All of them will cover fire prevention.

Some school districts are picker than others regarding curriculum plans.  In the past, my local district wanted something from each category in the plan, even if all that was stated for the category was that it would be covered informally via family life.  (We have a new liaison this year so that may change.) I note ‘rotation of sports and fitness activities’ for physical education.  

Learning to play an instrument/sing is one way to cover the music requirement.  Just studying music theory would also be fine. So would composer studies or genre studies.  There are a number of free music resources online and at public libraries.  (By the way, Ohio has excellent public libraries.)  If you will be moving to the central Ohio area, the Columbus Symphony Orchestra offers inexpensive educational concerts.  They also have a family concert series.   Some communities offer free concert series.  Attending those could fulfill the music requirement.  

I have found inclusive and secular homeschool groups to be more common in the large metropolitan areas.  There are many opportunities for homeschoolers outside of homeschool groups, however.  Many museums, zoos, parks, Ys, and other venues offer homeschool classes.  Other organizations allow homeschoolers to participate in their education days.  Homeschoolers may also participate in public school extra-curricular activities.

Oh, for all who do live in Ohio: 

I just found this out and thought I'd share. Sauder Village up in Archbold has Homeschool Appreciation Days in September. According to the lady that I spoke with on the phone, the admission tickets are discounted to $7 per person (anyone over the age of 3) vs their regular rate of $16/adult and $10/student. The dates are Sept 9 -13 and Sept 16 -20.

http://www.saudervillage.org/home/default.asp

Thanks, everyone! The more I read about homeschooling in Ohio, the less troubling it is. If we did move there we would be leaving a very homeschooling friendly state. We have very few regulations and requirements to follow here, so when this move was first mentioned the thought of trying to homeschool there was rather daunting. It's sounding a lot more feasible now, and I have a much better idea of how it works/what we would need to do.

Sherry in OH, thanks for the explanation of what needs to be done each year. I was wondering if it all had to be done each year, but if not, then the workload isn't so daunting!

Again, thanks everyone! Anything further anyone has to add, I'd be glad to hear it!

I did forget to mention that Cincinnati has some great arts things for homeschoolers that you can use to meet that music requirement:

Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra has Young People's Concerts:  http://cincinnatisymphony.org/Content.php?id=18

Children's Theatre of Cincinnati has school/homeschool days  https://www.thechildrenstheatre.com/for-educators/school-season-tickets

We have done both of the above. The price is reasonable and the concerts/performances are very well done.

For older kids:

Playhouse in the Park has homeschool/school showings http://www.cincyplay.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=219&Itemid=551

Cincinnati Shakespeare Festival has educational matinees  http://cincyshakes.com/education-matinees/

Thanks, everyone! The more I read about homeschooling in Ohio, the less troubling it is. If we did move there we would be leaving a very homeschooling friendly state. We have very few regulations and requirements to follow here, so when this move was first mentioned the thought of trying to homeschool there was rather daunting. It's sounding a lot more feasible now, and I have a much better idea of how it works/what we would need to do.

What I like is that it looks daunting, but isn't at all. If someone (a non-homeschooler who is not looking for advice re: becoming a homeschooler) questions what we are required to do in Ohio, I tell them all about our regulations. ;) 

I did forget to mention that Cincinnati has some great arts things for homeschoolers that you can use to meet that music requirement:

Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra has Young People's Concerts: http://cincinnatisymphony.org/Content.php?id=18

Children's Theatre of Cincinnati has school/homeschool days https://www.thechildrenstheatre.com/for-educators/school-season-tickets

We have done both of the above. The price is reasonable and the concerts/performances are very well done.

For older kids:

Playhouse in the Park has homeschool/school showings http://www.cincyplay.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=219&Itemid=551

Cincinnati Shakespeare Festival has educational matinees http://cincyshakes.com/education-matinees/

I prefer anonymity online so I don't feel comfortable sharing specific locations, but we wouldn't be near Cincinnati. It's good to know that there are various opportunities for homeschoolers throughout the state though, so thanks for this info!

I'm going into my 5th year of homeschooling in Ohio.  It's been very easy and I've only had contact with the school district once a year to send in a notice of intent and portfolio review.  There has been a lot of talk this year about local districts sending out letters giving notice deadlines and asking for detailed curriculum information, but Ohio homeschoolers usually put a stop to that very quickly.

I'm going into my 5th year of homeschooling in Ohio.  It's been very easy and I've only had contact with the school district once a year to send in a notice of intent and portfolio review.  There has been a lot of talk this year about local districts sending out letters giving notice deadlines and asking for detailed curriculum information, but Ohio homeschoolers usually put a stop to that very quickly.

Is this because of the change in who we're reporting to?  Not everyone changed but in our case, instead of notifying the superintendent of our county school board, I had to notify our local school district superintendent.  My dh was laughing at me but I was a bit nervous about submitting our notification this year just because I knew it was a completely different person/office looking at it.  

Is this because of the change in who we're reporting to?  Not everyone changed but in our case, instead of notifying the superintendent of our county school board, I had to notify our local school district superintendent.  My dh was laughing at me but I was a bit nervous about submitting our notification this year just because I knew it was a completely different person/office looking at it.  

I am also reporting to a different person/office this year.  This year I am sending my paperwork to the official who told me last year that homeschooling is putting my kids at a severe disadvantage because they won't know how to "navigate the hallways in between classes" when they get to college.  I am hoping that this process ends up being drama-free like the last 6 years. 

I am also reporting to a different person/office this year.  This year I am sending my paperwork to the official who told me last year that homeschooling is putting my kids at a severe disadvantage because they won't know how to "navigate the hallways in between classes" when they get to college.  I am hoping that this process ends up being drama-free like the last 6 years. 

Wow!  I can't even imagine how I would have reacted to someone telling me that!  

I'm in a better position, I guess - if  complete ignorance is better- I wouldn't know the superintendent if I stumbled over him.

Drama-free is always good!

Wow!  I can't even imagine how I would have reacted to someone telling me that!  

At first I thought she was joking, but then I quickly realized she was serious.  I didn't respond at all. 

I came home and told my husband that homeschoolers are making progress because the best that she could come up with on why our kids were going to be at a disadvantage - was not academics, not socialization, but navigating the hallways!  :laugh:

HOLY COW!

After thinking about this for a few days I have another question.....  How does the time requirement play out in your homeschool?  Do you keep track of the hours each day/year and give proof of that, or is it just an honor system?  To get the 900 hours, do you divide by days, actually work so many hours per day, or what?  I have an idea of what I would do, but am interested in hearing what other people do.

Thanks!

After thinking about this for a few days I have another question.....  How does the time requirement play out in your homeschool?  Do you keep track of the hours each day/year and give proof of that, or is it just an honor system?  To get the 900 hours, do you divide by days, actually work so many hours per day, or what?  I have an idea of what I would do, but am interested in hearing what other people do.

Thanks!

You are not required to provide proof that you provide 900 hours of instruction.  The NOI form includes a statement that you check off that "assurance that the child will be provided a minimum of 900 hours of home education each school year."

Other than checking that box each year, I don't give the requirement a second thought.

When you get here, bop me a pm and I can add you to the Facebook group for the convention meet-ups.  We always have a great time.  I actually don't know which I'm going to do this coming year, Cincy or Sandusky.  Maybe both?  Wow that would be wild.  TTD has had some great speaker lists in the past, so I'm excited about them coming this way.  We'll see.   :)

TTD is coming to Sandusky? That is only an hour away from my house! Awesome!! Can you add me to the facebook list Elisabeth? I'll pm you my full name. 

Sherry in OH, thanks for the explanation of what needs to be done each year. I was wondering if it all had to be done each year, but if not, then the workload isn't so daunting!

Again, thanks everyone! Anything further anyone has to add, I'd be glad to hear it!

I have homeschooled here for 9 years without a bit of trouble. Easy peasy! I even graduated my oldest and she is attending an Ohio University on full scholarship with no issues. 

Thanks!

I do not track hours, as we are not required to track or to show anyone that we have. I don't worry about it. They're learning all the time--it's hard to quantify everyday out-of-the-box learning experiences.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MariaClara

I mailed my notification (with return receipt)  2 weeks ago to my local school district and I haven't received anything yet. Am I supposed to call them? This is my first year homeschooling so I'm a little nervous. 

No, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the change.  In all the cases I'm aware of, it happened in city school districts where homeschoolers have always notified the local superintendent.  In several of the cases, the districts had new superintendents who didn't know the law well enough to know that they can't make forms and require whatever they want.

I mailed my notification (with return receipt) 2 weeks ago to my local school district and I haven't received anything yet. Am I supposed to call them? This is my first year homeschooling so I'm a little nervous.

I hadn't received our letter excusing my kids so I actually just called the office to check up on it. Apparently the super didn't realize he needed to send those very important excusal letters out every year. Needless to say, they know now and we received it a couple of days later. (This is just the 2nd year that the local district superintendent is handling this vs the county so it's all a learning experience :) )

Lucylu0508 we had a similar experience. I didn't actually talk to anyone at the district or county--I called the county since they are processing the letters.  Mine was at least 18 days from when I sent it in. To make it even stranger, I got two letters of excusal from the district. The second one had their birthdays on it and the other did not.I just got the second one yesterday.