Menu

Speech therapy via Skype?

Is that a Myrtle tree for your avatar?  :)

What's your situation driving the question?  I would suggest it's going to be very problematic.  Our SLP will watch *video* of the dc and write up recommendations, as in doing a consult when you're using a lower qualification of SLP, because with our particular problem (apraxia) it's very hard sometimes to find an experienced therapist in a reasonable drive.  However she never tries to treat that way.  If the problem is general articulation, there are some materials marketed to homeschoolers that are meant for the parent to implement.

You should be able to go to ASHA which is the American Speech and Hearing Association and search for a provider in your area.  Also, even if you homeschool, your local school district's SLP can do your testing at least, even if you don't want to get treatment there.  I would try to find local resources first if you can.  Skype is great too but in person is better.  I do speech therapy over Skype but I work with adults, not pediatrics.  Try www.asha.org/findpro 

Is that a Myrtle tree for your avatar?   :)

What's your situation driving the question?  I would suggest it's going to be very problematic.  Our SLP will watch *video* of the dc and write up recommendations, as in doing a consult when you're using a lower qualification of SLP, because with our particular problem (apraxia) it's very hard sometimes to find an experienced therapist in a reasonable drive.  However she never tries to treat that way.  If the problem is general articulation, there are some materials marketed to homeschoolers that are meant for the parent to implement.

I think that it is a Moreton Bay Fig tree; the picture was taken several years ago just outside the lovely Melbourne Zoo. :)

We live in India right now.  I will be looking at local options, but was wondering if Skype with a US therapist might be another option.  It's for my 14yo DS who has trouble with his "r" sound.  We've tried using exercises that I've gotten online, but he is just not able to hear the difference when he says it correctly.  We've tried off and on for years.  It's never seemed that super critical (and often it just sounds like he has a British accent which fits in here :) )  but I think its high time we actually consult a professional.

You should be able to go to ASHA which is the American Speech and Hearing Association and search for a provider in your area.  Also, even if you homeschool, your local school district's SLP can do your testing at least, even if you don't want to get treatment there.  I would try to find local resources first if you can.  Skype is great too but in person is better.  I do speech therapy over Skype but I work with adults, not pediatrics.  Try www.asha.org/findpro

Yes, I am looking into local resources, and I'm sure it will be MUCH less expensive if we go that route since we live in India right now.  The therapy is for 14yo DS, and is really just helping with the "r" sound.  He's not able to hear the difference when he does it correctly (which he can do, but since he can't hear it, he doesn't do it.)

I think that it is a Moreton Bay Fig tree; the picture was taken several years ago just outside the lovely Melbourne Zoo. :)

We live in India right now.  I will be looking at local options, but was wondering if Skype with a US therapist might be another option.  It's for my 14yo DS who has trouble with his "r" sound.  We've tried using exercises that I've gotten online, but he is just not able to hear the difference when he says it correctly.  We've tried off and on for years.  It's never seemed that super critical (and often it just sounds like he has a British accent which fits in here :) )  but I think its high time we actually consult a professional.

My son still cannot say the final /r/ in r-controlled syllables the way we pronounce it in Midwestern USA accent. I sometimes laughingly chalk it up to the fact that the speech pathologist who worked with him when we lived in Japan was from Australia!

My son still cannot say the final /r/ in r-controlled syllables the way we pronounce it in Midwestern USA accent. I sometimes laughingly chalk it up to the fact that the speech pathologist who worked with him when we lived in Japan was from Australia!

LOL!!!  I can relate!  I'm sure if we find local help, his /r/ sounds would eventually sound more British than American.  My son cannot say the /r/ sound in any position, though.  And I do think that most people in the US just think he has "an accent" from living abroad.  But I feel lame-o that I've never sought professional counsel.  It would help if he was able to hear the difference in his speech - I'm hoping that someone else will know how to guide him in that.

I'd also check for dyspraxia of speech if possible. The /r/, all positions, is one sound I never got consistently, and I had speech from age 3 to age 21, but wasn't diagnosed with dyspraxia until I was in my mid 20's. Articulation therapy is not particularly effective against apraxia or dyspraxia. I'm now 42, and get a lot of "where are you from?"-I'm understandable, but essentially have an accent that doesn't match anywhere.

Online charter schools often use online speech therapy and it seems to be successful with many kids particularly when they are only working on articulation issues. Where I live now, online therapy is starting to be used more due to the lack of providers in a very large rural setting.

I don't know how you would go about finding someone who does this type of speech services privately.

I'd also check for dyspraxia of speech if possible. The /r/, all positions, is one sound I never got consistently, and I had speech from age 3 to age 21, but wasn't diagnosed with dyspraxia until I was in my mid 20's. Articulation therapy is not particularly effective against apraxia or dyspraxia. I'm now 42, and get a lot of "where are you from?"-I'm understandable, but essentially have an accent that doesn't match anywhere.

That's interesting that you had speech therapy for so many years, but were never diagnosed with dyspraxia until your mid-20's.  I would think that a speech therapist would be able to diagnose dyspraxia.  How is this diagnosed?  Should I look for a specific type of training background?

I'm also 42-so I suspect it's that it just wasn't as well known to look for when I was initially evaluated, and that all the further evaluations mostly just rubber stamped what was needed for the IEP. I had a DX of cerebral palsy, with speech being an area I was delayed in, and articulation issues with specific sounds. They didn't look further for the cause.

I similarly wasn't diagnosed with learning disabilities (I have visual-spatial processing off the bottom of the scale) until the same time-and I think it's because that was the first time I'd had an evaluation that was starting from scratch instead of from the IEP-because that particular eval was for vocational purposes, not educational ones, and they needed different information, so the past stack of IEPs and school-related 504 plans simply weren't relevant anymore.

What dmmetler and I are both getting at is that even if the accent is different there's value in a hands-on evaluation by a qualified SLP.  They will catch things you're not.  If his /r/s are off, there might be more sounds that aren't correct.  There might be a physical explanation you're not expecting (oral tone, tongue-tied, etc.).  CP and praxis are motor planning and more serious issues.  My ds has verbal apraxia (apraxia, dyspraxia, praxis, all refer to motor control), so we've been in therapy for years and still have more to go.  The therapy we get is PROMPT.  Sometimes a regular SLP will catch it, sometimes they won't.  You'll probably have other indications going on to let you know it's a concern, so it's something to research.  I think there are people getting therapy for apraxia in India on the apraxia kids yahoo group, so you never know what's out there.

If there's NOTHING else going on, you have these other options (homeschool-oriented materials, youtube videos, etc.).  Given that you've already been trying stuff and it hasn't been working, you probably ought to get a hands-on eval from someone and be done with it.  

The /r/ sound is one of the most common for kids to have trouble with and is in most cases just a simple articulation disorder.  It's so common that in the world of speech therapy materials, there are probably more books on eliciting the /r/ sound than any other sound.  Hopefully you can find someone locally to help since a lot of the articulation therapy to remediate the /r/ sound is hands-on; but, if you can't then there are ways to work on it on Skype too. 

I was tongue-tied but it did not affect me while we were living in Canada (speaking English). It only affected me after we moved to Greece where I had to roll my r's (speaking Greek). It was so annoying that I had it cut when I was 14 during tonsil surgery. Not sure how it affects others though.

Yup, when I got to Russia, I made friends with someone who left me wondering why my Russian was SO BAD and why I couldn't understand her, lol.  I finally figured out when she explained she was tongue-tied and couldn't make the different flapped/trilled /r/ sounds in the front of her mouth!  She compensated by making a sound in the back of her throat.  (Ukranian has a similar sound actually.)  So anyways, yeah, agreeing that happens.  Wild memories.  :)

Well, I don't think he is tongue-tied.  But I don't know that there is nothing else going on.  I will check out local options for him to be evaluated.  It's sad that I just have so little confidence in local resources.   When we were pretty sure my other DS was dyslexic, we had him "evaluated" by professionals through his local school.  They were clueless about dyslexia.  DH and I kept looking at each other throughout their debriefing of DS's testing.  We could not believe their lack of understanding about dyslexia.  Another "professional" who is part of the India Dyslexia Association told me that he was not dyslexic (based solely on our phone conversation) and that I should just have him stare into a candle flame to help him improve his concentration.  On the next trip back to the US we had a full evaluation done by the University of Michigan which confirmed dyslexia.  So anyway, I don't have much confidence in local options.  However, this is a small issue in the grand scheme (he doesn't seem to have any other speech issues that we've noticed and is excelling in every area), so I don't mind giving it a shot.  If anyone knows of a Skype option, though, I'd still like to hear it.  Thanks for all the feedback so far!!

I didn't read all the responses, sorry. My DS9 has worked on speech through the Tiny Eye program. He had a SLP that came to school, but last year I believe he worked mostly through Skype with a therapist. We live in Canada, she lives in Brazil (maybe Chile - yikes, they both sound right now!).

So, it is possible!

rbk mama, have you identified any services that offer therapy over the internet? I haven't had time to look through any websites because it's been such a busy week for me, but I just did a quick Google search and came up with this site: http://www.berkshirespeech.com/teletherapy. I don't know anything about them, but they do say they offer therapy via internet to people outside the USA. They also have a note about their software and issues related to HIPAA compliance, which might be something to think about when you are looking for a service.

rbk mama, have you identified any services that offer therapy over the internet? I haven't had time to look through any websites because it's been such a busy week for me, but I just did a quick Google search and came up with this site: http://www.berkshirespeech.com/teletherapy. I don't know anything about them, but they do say they offer therapy via internet to people outside the USA. They also have a note about their software and issues related to HIPAA compliance, which might be something to think about when you are looking for a service.

Nope, just the one recently posted, TinyEye.  Thanks for the link!  And I had not at all considered privacy issues with Skype.  I guess I don't understand enough about how Skype or Google Chat works to understand how they are not HIPAA compliant.  Anyway, that's good this company has considered that and is using another method for videoconferencing.  Will definitely check them out!  Thanks Marie!

If you get a good speech therapist, they should be able to work out how strong a consonant is appropriate for your son's overall accent.  When Hobbes had speech therapy in Scotland, the therapist said that had he been a Scot, she would have worked on his soft 'r' sound; as his accent is largely English, however, it was within the normal range.  So you might find a local therapist who can work with his American accent.

L

If you get a good speech therapist, they should be able to work out how strong a consonant is appropriate for your son's overall accent.  When Hobbes had speech therapy in Scotland, the therapist said that had he been a Scot, she would have worked on his soft 'r' sound; as his accent is largely English, however, it was within the normal range.  So you might find a local therapist who can work with his American accent.

L

I hope so!  That would be nice.  And unexpected.  Makes me think of when DD was in kindergarten here and her paper was marked wrong because she did not match up the name "Thomas" with the soft /th/ sound like in the word thin.  It was homework, so I had written a note by it that she was pronouncing it  /t/ like they do in America.  The teacher's response was, "That is wrong."  :glare:

I hope so!  That would be nice.  And unexpected.  Makes me think of when DD was in kindergarten here and her paper was marked wrong because she did not match up the name "Thomas" with the soft /th/ sound like in the word thin.  It was homework, so I had written a note by it that she was pronouncing it  /t/ like they do in America.  The teacher's response was, "That is wrong."  :glare:

You might find that a speech therapist, with a better background in pronunciation differences, would be able to cope better.

L