Menu

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson--age appropriateness?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I read it not long ago and remembered thinking I wouldn't want my DD12 to read it yet, but I can't remember why! I know he talks a bit about the murder of the two hikers, and there's some language, but were there other questionable parts? A friend is considering letting her DS12 read it, and I wanted to be able to give her some idea of what he should expect to see. Does anyone recall other specific parts that might be inappropriate?

Thanks!

She should just preread it. It's been a long time, but there was definitely some language, maybe a few sexual references (?)... Mostly, I think it's just the type of humor that would be lost on a 12yo.

I agree with this.  It's been several years since I read this.  LOVED the book, but it's just not a "kid" book--it's more a reflection on his young adult life--now that he's 40yo or so.

There are just many, many other books to inspire 12yo boys to explore the great outdoors!

Now . . . "A WEEK in the Woods" by Andrew Clement is great for a 12yo boy. :-)  Deals with a rough relationship with his dad, though, which may make it skippable.  YMMV.

Um, I'd probably let a 12 year old read it, the worst thing I recall are some vague sexual references and the hiking companion throwing "heavy f-ing s*#%" off the trail.

That said, we make an effort to not overshelter and my parents were both in the Navy, so I'm certain my kids have heard worse things from their grandparents.

I agree that not all 12 year olds would find it interesting though.  It's more a book you read when you're 30.

As a long distance backpacker and personal friends of the Hnasen's who began Mountain Crossings on the AT, I would say it is in no way an accurate depiction of the trail or backpacking in general. However, it is very amusing! I have read it to my almost ten year old and he finds it quite delightful. He is also a long distance backpacker so drugs and cussing do not phase him at all.