Menu

dolciani pre algebra or Lial's ?can someone compare!!! XPost

Hi,

I am trying to decide math for my 12 year old boys.  I have two or three that I am deciding about and wondering if someone could do a comparison of these for me.  My oldest used Videotext Algebra and I am not sure I want to do the same with my boys.

The two that I am thinking about are Prealgebra by Doliciani, or Lial's prealgebra.

I have also thought about Saxon 8/7, and would love any thoughts on this curriculum as well.

I really need to decide soon as we will be moving so I need to get on with the planning!!!

I posted on your other thread, but will add some links to previous discussions on a variety of the programs you mentioned (plus some other things you might not have thought to ask yet):

Dolciani Pre-Algebra- where to buy and which edition?

S/O Lial's BCM or Lial's Pre-Algebra for pre-algebra?  and Lial's... Basic College Mathematics or Prealgebra for 8th grade?

Pre-Algebra: Saxon or Lial's?

Lessons Learned on the older Dolciani Editions (info on which purchasing differing editions)

Dolciani pre-algebra schedule? (No actual schedule, just advice on doing odds & how someone wasn't able to finish the whole book in 180 days)

Pre-Algebra/Algebra- Dolciani or Saxon. Does it really matter?

Happy about Dolciani Prealgebra (working well, questioning where to go after Pre-A)

I posted on your other thread too, but I thought I would add, we tried switching from MUS to Lial's BCM for Pre-Algebra and my kids just hated it. The big pages, tiny print, word problems geared toward adults that they found un-relatable. We ended up sticking with MUS a little longer.  When we came back to Lial's for Algebra, they were more ready for the books designed for an adult. Remember, the Lial's texts are designed as remedial college texts. I really like them, but they are not necessarily 12 yo friendly. Your 12 yos may be completely different than mine were, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. They are some of the most complaints I hear about Lial's and I think they all come from using it with kids who so much younger than the books target audience.

I've never used Dolciani.

Agree with Debbie regarding Lial's target audience and overall presentation as I mentioned in your X-post.

One more important thing which I think you should weigh in your final decision is to elicit input from your boys.  Getting feedback from them can be a valuable tool as you assess best fit.  What may sound wonderful to you may end up be terrible for them.  If a child really hates a program its hard to get past that daily and on to learning new things.