Menu

Please help a newbie!

Well, ok, I'm a semi-newbie. I homeschooled my youngest son for Kindergarten two years ago, and learned so much on this board then! Now it looks like I will get to homeschool my DD13 for 8th grade this year. (Hooray! :-) ) This is a new turn of events, and while I am very excited because I think it could be great for her, I am also very overwhelmed because I have so little time before I need to get paperwork etc. in. (With my son I researched for months beforehand, choosing curriculum etc. I love to research!)

I would love to get some advice about where to start looking in terms of curriculum! My DD struggled a bit in 7th grade. She is not very interested in school subjects, but is very hard-working and motivated. She is a very visual/kinesthetic learner. She likes working on the computer and doing worksheets. However, she gets overwhelmed easily with small print/too many words on a page. She really dislikes reading. (She is below grade-level in reading comprehension and this is one of the areas I would most love to work on.) She has a huge deficiency in vocabulary. (We have had her tested twice by the school district…that's a whole other thread!…and both times they did not feel she qualified for special ed, but agreed that she had some kind of learning difference. We will be getting her tested privately this fall.)

Thanks to anyone who read all that and who might have any curriculum suggestions!!! I so appreciate it!

Corie

Welcome back! :)

...I will get to homeschool my DD13 for 8th grade this year. (Hooray! :-) )

… She is not very interested in school subjects, but is very hard-working and motivated

… She is a very visual/kinesthetic learner. She likes working on the computer and doing worksheets.

… However, she gets overwhelmed easily with small print/too many words on a page.

… She really dislikes reading… below grade-level in reading comprehension and… a huge deficiency in vocabulary

My initial thought: for this year, it sounds like your goals are:

1. get learning differences figured out and addressed

2. get DD solid in foundational areas

3. use this year to help prepare for high school

Question: Do you think it likely that you will continue to homeschool DD into high school? Or will this just be a 1-year stop gap, to catch her up, and she'll go to a school for 9th grade?

Your answer would influence what I would suggest for specific curriculum.

For example, if going to a school for 9th grade, then I'd suggest finding out what materials the school uses, and what the expectations are for the classes and incorporate those materials and practices as much as possible to smooth the transition, and add materials to address the specific reading and vocabulary deficiencies.

Also, if this is a one-year-only option, then you'll likely need to strip down to focus on basics to get DD up to speed in weak areas, help her get strong in the 3 Rs, and practice the study skills that will help her transition into a high school and succeed.

In contrast, if you think you will continue to homeschool, then you have more options and can take your time and can include more of her interests in your homeschooled 8th grade year.

Subjects you will want to cover:

1. English

- Literature

- Writing/Composition

- Reading Comprehension

- Grammar

- Vocabulary

- ? Spelling ?

2. Math

3. Science

4. Social Studies (History and/or Geography)

5. an elective -- since she doesn't care for school, I'd make this about something she DOES enjoy (music, art, theater, filmmaking, cooking, electronics, horses, sports, dance …) -- also this will be a way of helping smooth the transition from school to homeschool -- she gets to spend time developing personal interests!

… she gets overwhelmed easily with small print/too many words on a page. She really dislikes reading.

… We have had her tested twice by the school district…and both times… agreed that she had some kind of learning difference. 

This sure suggests the possibility of a vision issue. I'd recommend first getting that sorted out. Get good testing to make sure she doesn't need glasses. And then go to someone who specializes in COVD to make sure she doesn't have a convergence issue, "stealth" dyslexia, or other vision issue.

I know you mentioned she likes the computer and worksheets, but both are hard on the eyes if that is a problem area that needs to be addressed. And most of that type of curricula is "fill-in-the-blank" and then "purge-from-memory", rather than really absorbing, integrating and applying actual knowledge. If she has been in school all this while, she already knows the drill of how to take tests and fill-in-the-blanks (worksheets). Choosing something that helps her actually think through and apply what she's learning is a good skill for her to develop at this stage, as it will prepare her for the future need of analyzing, applying, and drawing conclusions that are skills used in high school and college classes (and in real-life, on the job! :) ).

While you are getting that sorted, perhaps consider choosing curricula for Science and Social Studies that is video-based, project-based, you reading aloud / book-on-tape and discuss together, to reduce eye strain and struggle, and to start developing those thinking / discussing skills.

What materials and textbooks/publishers has she been using in school?
What specifically has been working/not working of the materials she has been using?
What is your relationship like? How much will you be able to do together, or will she push you away?

Just some scattered thoughts and questions to start helping you sort through what you'll need/want for the new school year. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I'm so sorry I haven't been able to get back onto the computer till now to respond, but Lori D., thank you SO very much for your incredibly insightful response!! You really helped me focus so much. You are absolutely correct about my goals for the year. We don't yet know whether this will be one year of homeschooling or more…we will have to play that year by year…but I think I need to operate as though it will just be one year. 

You know, it's funny, I never thought about vision problems for her! Thank you so much for pointing that out! I feel like this is such a "duh" moment for me; I actually got my younger son tested for eye issues (which he has) and got my DD tested for auditory processing issues (which she does not have) and in spite of the reading problems I never thought to have her tested! (She has had "traditional" eye testing and has 20/20 vision, but I could totally see how she might have other vision issues. Wow.) In fact, this past year one teacher found my DD did much better on tests when the tests were simply formatted differently (e.g.fewer words on a page.) So much to investigate here!

The other thing I think you wrote that really turned a lightbulb on in my head was that curricula that is "fill-in-the-blank" can also be "purge-from-memory". You know, I think that might be why she likes them. She is wonderful at memorizing what she needs to, but has no interest in remembering what she is learning long-term, and deeply understanding, integrating, and applying knowledge is much more difficult for her.

I will be getting copies of all the textbooks the school would be using with her this year. I don't know yet what they are, but I am thinking they can at least be a map to what we want to cover. Then I think I will work with my DD to find curricula she likes. She is the type of kid who, when she has a goal, will work tirelessly, but the goal HAS to be hers. If I impose it on her, she finds the most inventive ways to resist! 

Lori, you don't know how helpful you have been to me. It's absolutely tremendous. Thank you so much for taking so much time out to help me start this journey in the right direction!!

Once you get some direction, you might come back with some more specific questions. For example, if you look at math curriculum and have your dd take some placement tests and want some feedback... or if you have some goals for her in LA and want some suggestions for how to get there...

Welcome back to the homeschooling world. I hope you get some answers on her learning issues. Until you have those, I would hesitate to make big commitments. I would encourage you not to get buried in the textbooks your public schools will be using this year. Even if she were to go back in 9th, there is a good chance that many of their subjects (all but math and Language Arts really) probably will not build on what they learn this year. Pick a science that interests her, pick a history that she can get involved in and feel successful with. I agree with Lori, if you have the time to devote to planning some project based stuff could be great. 

For math, you probably need something common core aligned that will cover whatever she would have covered, Pre-Algebra? Algebra? You will want to do a bit of placement testing though and see where she really is. Sometimes identifying some weaknesses and taking care of those before moving on can make all the difference!

For Language Arts, what about something gentle like Lightning Lit 7, then add a writing program, maybe Jump In?

Just some thoughts. 

Debbie, thank you for the welcome back! I'm excited to be homeschooling again!

I so appreciate your thoughts! It's helpful to know you many of the subjects in 9th grade might not build on what the schools are teaching in 8th grade. And as I think about it, that makes sense. That would free us up a bunch. I love the idea of doing project/unit stuff…I think my DD would really enjoy that, and I love planning so it would be right up my alley.

And wow, I looked at Lightning Lit 7 and that is the first LA program that I could see working for us. I have read good things about Lightning Lit before, but actually the books for grade 7 are (mostly) books I could see pulling her into. Or that at least she might not fight. :-) Literacy is the toughest thing for her. Funny enough, she loves to write.

I think you and Lori are absolutely right that getting to the bottom of her learning issues is the first priority, and that placement testing is going to be key. You both have helped focus me so much!

I will continue to research curriculum while getting her tested, and I'm sure I will be jumping back on here with many questions. Thank you SO very much for your thoughts, help, and time!!

I do love this board! :-)