Menu

Timelines with multiple children - book or wall or both?

EmmaNZ

I have 5 kids age 10, 8, 6, 4 and 2. I want to start a timeline but I'm stuck on how best to organise it. Ideally I'd like a wall timeline - I think it is more fun and therefore more likely to get done. But, with 5 children I can't imagine myself doing 5 or even 3 timelines, so my youngers are going to miss out.

I was considering having a wall timeline for everybody, with only snippets of information or pictures on it, and then each child can do their own book timeline as and when they are able. But does that sound ridiculously ambitious??!

So, can anybody shed any light on this for me? Any ideas? Any must-have recommendations?

My plan is to have adding to the timeline be part of our history lesson daily. If an important date or person comes up in the lesson, I'll have the kids write it in on the timeline and add a Pandia Press timeline sticker if one is available.

I was going to suggest the timelines and/or stickers from Pandia Press. They can be 3-hole punched to go into a binder or can be displayed on the wall. They have sales sometimes if it's too pricey.

Oh, look. It says the timeline's on sale now. $30 instead of $45. The B & W stickers (200 on 4 sheets) are $8. (Scroll down.) There is also an additional pre-history timeline for $8 that is sold separately.

Looks like a good get 'er done option.

I tried a wall timeline a couple years ago, actually it went up a door. It looked beautiful. We had timeline figures.... My youngest 2 children, then 1 and 2, tore the figures off and colored on the timeline. It didn't survive 2 toddlers. :blink:

I'm going to try it again because using timelines in a book didn't work. The little ones are preschoolers, not toddlers, now so I'm expecting better behavior from them. ;)

I like the Wonders of Old timeline book too and intend on keeping one myself along with my children, but I also want a timeline for the time period we're studying for that particular year on the wall. I think that's a happy medium. Plus, if they have their own they can include things they learn in Science or Art in their timeline book.

The wall timelines are nice, but it's hard to find space.  We switched to Wonders of Old timeline book  http://www.learningthroughhistory.com/Store/CategoryTimelines.html    and use timeline figures http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/timelinefigures.html#TimelineFiguresOnCD with them.

Wow, these look great. I'd heard of the timeline figures on cd, but not the Wonders of Old timeline book.