Menu

Independent learning curriculum 2nd grade

Guest Bridget060504

Guest Bridget060504

Hello! My daughter is going into 2nd grade. She is very smart and learns pretty quickly and independently. She also works quickly. This works great because I work at a church and she goes with me. She does her work at my job. Last year we did Time4Learning, but she didn't enjoy computer work as much as I thought. She prefers book work.

She reads at about a 5th grade level. 

I am looking for a curriculum that she can pretty much do on her own. I will of course take the time to help her when needed. I feel that her and I learn in a similar way. I am an independent learner as well. I can teach myself many things just by trying or reading about it. I don't need a lot of instruction.

I am consider A.C.E. PACES. I have read some of the negative comments about it being boring or behind. It concerns me some but I feel it might be our best bet with how easy it will be for her to work on her own.

Are there other curriculum I should be considering? I am totally fine with traditional textboox type of school. 

Thank you 

I also work full time. I try to find independent work as well. I have a son who is 7, and doing 2nd grade work. We use Math Mammoth for math, as it is very easy for them to work through independently. He sometimes has questions, but I answer quickly, or walk through the example with him, and then he's fine. He loves the Explode the Code workbooks. He can open them up and do some pages on his own without even asking anything of me. This is good and bad. I like to talk with him about new concepts, but he "knows what to do, mom". ;) I think Explode the Code is his favorite thing to do. I also do Logic of English with him, but only when I'm not actually working. That's something I save for after work. We sit on the couch and go over the flashcards, and discuss sounds he's having trouble with.

As for Science and History, we do all of that together with my other kids. I read to them, and then we discuss. I ask questions, and listen to their answers. I have them tell me back something that they learned/didn't know before. I think the learning comes through the discussion with this. We do our readings when I'm working sometimes, if I have some down time. If I'm real busy, we do them after I'm finished working.

I wish I could be of more help to you. I only know what works for us.

Oh, I have a little pocket science book that I got from Usborne years ago--before I started homeschooling. My 7-year-old loves to read through this. I think at his level, that in itself is fine for science for him. He loves that book. We do a lot of experiments from it - on-the-fly. Sometimes we won't have something we need, so we'll make a trip to the store, just so he can do his experiment. ;)

If she is a little reader, can't you use a literature based program for science and history and, then, ACE for language arts and CLE for math?

Could you use something like Sonlight or BookShark for history and science? You could put sticky notes in the books telling her how much to read. When she is finished, she can move the sticky and place it where she stops. Honestly, for second grade, you could just get library books each week on science and history topics and let her read. Then, on the way home, she can tell you what she learned.

HTH-

Mandy

My independent K'er uses CLE Math. Right now he's using LOE for spelling (not independent), but later he might use something like R&S Spelling. Their English can also be used independently, though I'll probably use EIW with him (it has a short video component, followed by worksheets, and it covers grammar and writing). Science and history can be just reading.

My oldest (now going into 3rd) is independent in most areas.  Here are a few curriculum we have found work for our situation.  Some of these we have used for a couple years others we have only been using for a few weeks but are finding them easy to use independently.

Memoria Press Literature Studies (great way for advanced readers to dive deeper into literature in my opinion.  My daughter does need help sometimes and sometimes we work together for deeper discussions etc.)

Math Mammoth

Rod and Staff Spelling

Rod and Staff Grammar

Prima Latina/ Latina Christiana (with DVD lessons)

Writing Strands

Science and history we usually do together although a lot of SOTW can be read independently by the time they are reading at a 5th grade level.

I just want to gently suggest that 7 is too young to have any expectation that they will be capablyindependent on anything. Yes, some read really well. I had 2 early, extremely capable extremely early readers. But, reading ability does not mean they can - or should - be self taught. I would encourage you to provide great reading materials and rich activities when you can't be engaged (and turn off electronics) but expecting a 7 year old to teach themselves is, IMHO, asking for disappointment and frustration - from you because stuff isn't getting done/learned/retained, and from the kid because they think they're slow or letting you down when they have to ask for help.

On the bright side, second grade shouldn't take much time to teach. Math, grammar, and lots of great books (living history, science, cultures, stories...) is great. Lots of hands on when you can. My gauge for teaching is whether I would pay me as a teacher. If I'm doing a good job and would rehire myself - I'm good with what we're doing. If I am expecting more independence (even with my kids in upper middle school) than a good private school would expect - then I need to reevaluate my process. And as I frequently remind myself - teaching and leading are good things - and they aren't hand holding, cheating, or limiting to my kids.

I apologize if I've been offensive. I just see so many "indepence" threads for *little* kids that I hope to save you frustration and disappointment by realizing that homeschooling does take time and one on one contact, and planning on that ahead of time may help both you and your student.

I just want to gently suggest that 7 is too young to have any expectation that they will be capablyindependent on anything.

I wouldn't *expect* a 7 year old to work independently, but the OP said her child likes to work independently and does well with it. I have a 5 year old like that, and if you haven't had a naturally independent child, you might not understand (I didn't until this 5 year old came along). My first two children needed me at elbow to get *anything* done at age 7 (even the advanced reader). My 5 year old does not WANT me to be involved heavily. I'm in the room, and he can ask me questions, but he doesn't want me at elbow, walking him through each problem like I had/have to do with the other two kids at age 7. It's just a different personality type.

Now yes, some things do need to be taught, and there needs to be discussion. I would not leave the child to completely teach themselves. But you can teach a little bit and then let them go practice their work independently if that is what works for their personality type. Most 7 year olds aren't like that, so I wouldn't recommend people try to make their 7 year olds be independent like that, but that doesn't sound like what the OP is doing at all.

I think you might find CLE useful! It is written to be used somewhat independantly in second grade. It may take some pressure off you because there are instructions written to the student in the work texts. I think mixing it up with literature and handiwork would be great, too. I would imagine ALL CLE would get old pretty fast.

I used math, LA and reading very happily while I was suffering from a chronic illness and still needed to get school done. Now she may be beyond this, but just in case, the first grade level is much more teacher dependent. Also, she can't do it totally alone, you'll still have to participate. :)