Menu

Mexican Coke

Miss Peregrine

Dd works at a local coffee shop and a girl came in and asked for a bottle of Coke. The guy taking her order asked if she wanted Mexican Coke.

She replied, "You really shouldn't call it that. That's stereotyping." :huh: :lol:

I guess she was really perturbed about it and kept talking about how wrong it was. :lol:

Oh my! A friend and I were chatting the other day and she mentioned that she'd picked up a case of coke in bottles. I asked if they were Mexican or American, you know, because of the HFCS thing. Thankfully she knew exactly what I meant and didn't accuse me of stereotyping or *gasp!* racism. Sadly, though she thought she'd gotten Mexican coke she was completely bummed to find she had American coke. Ooh, maybe I should be saying USAan instead. :laugh:

Mexican coke is better than American coke.  There are a few hole in the wall restaurants around here that have them and we love it! When my brother and I go on training hikes we always stop at the same tiny Mexican restaurant and get an icy cold Mexican coke with lunch.  He and I are big coke drinkers. 

The only American cokes that are better are the cans at the store in Supai in the Grand Canyon (a 10 mile hike in) or 2.5 miles later at the camp ground where the native kid is cooking Indian Fry bread for $5 and selling cans of coke for $3. The best of all isthe can of coke at hilltop when you hike from your campground at Havasupai Falls and out of the canyon for a grand total of 12.5 miles-the last 2 straight up.  Soooooo gooood. Easily worth the $2 for the can because the next store is more than 75 miles away.

I much prefer Mexican coke, although growing up, it was just called Coke and was bottled in East Africa, where we were.  :lol:   Maybe we should have called it East African coke.

We had 5 sodas available:  Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, Fanta, and Bitter Lemon.  Coke finally came in Diet too by the time I graduated from High School.   And it was always in a bottle, always.  

I much prefer soda with real sugar and in a bottle.  It is the right and true way after all.

I don't drink soda but now I want to try a Mexican Coke.

The difference is flavor is very slight, in fact I have seen taste tests that people have not been able to pick out the difference between Coke in a bottle made with HFCS and cane sugar.

I have bought it for years when you had to get it in small 4 packs in the Passover section or in the Mexican food aisle of grocery stores.  For the past couple of years, I have been able to get it in 24 packs at Costco or even in loose bottles at Walmart.  It is very common here now. 

I am happy to see the 'throwback' (cane sugar) versions of sodas showing up in cans.  It is less expensive and easier to store and handle than in glass bottles (house of teenagers).

I thought they did a taste test and people couldn't tell the difference?

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/09/the-food-lab-drinks-edition-is-mexican-coke-better-than-regular-coke-coke-taste-test-coke-vs-mexican-coke.html

We have 'mexican coke' in my little upstate supermarket, but this is a foodie town and we have all that stuff, lol. I've never tried it because  don't drink soda in general. I doubt I could tell the difference.

The difference is flavor is very slight, in fact I have seen taste tests that people have not been able to pick out the difference between Coke in a bottle made with HFCS and cane sugar.

I generally don't drink coke (or any soft drink) so if I taste it I can't tell the difference between any cola products.  But I know people who can tell the difference between coke and pepsi, and between regular coke and Mexican coke.

We call it Mexicoke.  Is that racist?  I grew up in San Jose CA and as a white girl, was a minority in my high school; the majority population was people from Mexico or whose parents were from Mexico.  Those people called themselves Mexicans.  Other people called them Mexicans without trouble.  There were racist terms, but that was not one of them, at least at that time.

Dd works at a local coffee shop and a girl came in and asked for a bottle of Coke. The guy taking her order asked if she wanted Mexican Coke.

She replied, "You really shouldn't call it that. That's stereotyping." :huh: :lol:

I guess she was really perturbed about it and kept talking about how wrong it was. :lol:

What about Hungarian Goulash?

:lol:

I've seen Mexican coke in the DC area.

Does Mexican Coke taste the same as kosher for Passover Coke. I have a friends who buys up specially labeled kosher for Passover Coke every year because it is made with sugar too.

I don't know if they taste the same, but I would guess they do.

I think the kosher Cokes have yellow lids (vs. the standard red lid) so they're easy to spot if you want to find some.

I can always tell the difference between Coke bottled in the states vs. Mexico. The acidity, carbonation and type of sweetness is different to me. Yes, I've tasted it blind. I can also tell the cans from the plastic bottles and a fountain one. The fact that my palette is so attune to differences in cokes is probably a bad sign...

I have never had this but have heard of it all my life. What is it made of? And did it really originate in Hungary? Do Hungarians really eat it? Would they be offended if I ordered it this way in a restaurant?

What about Swedish Meatballs?

Yes, it's really Hungarian. It's a beef stew with Hungarian paprika.

"American" goulash is more like ground beef with macaroni and tomatoes.

I had no idea about this. I guess there is no Mexican coke in the mid-Atlantic.

Or here in my part of the NE.  If I drank soda I'd prefer the Mexican variety though... always prefer regular sugar to substitutes.

Oh, for pity's sake.

Mexican Coke--expensive, but worth it!

I can always tell the difference between Coke bottled in the states vs. Mexico. The acidity, carbonation and type of sweetness is different to me. Yes, I've tasted it blind. I can also tell the cans from the plastic bottles and a fountain one. The fact that my palette is so attune to differences in cokes is probably a bad sign...

I can tell the difference in the Mexican and states version too. And I actually prefer the HFCS one. My sense of taste is extremely sensitive.

Mexican Coke is in most of the stores, kwik stops, etc. up here in eastern Colorado, western Kansas and southwestern Nebraska, too.  I don't know if it was the Mexicans who got the import started or if it was the gringos, but it's everywhere…  (as well as Fanta)

Add me to the list of people who can tell the difference.  

Pepsi and MtDew have ThrowBack, but Coke has to be imported from Mexico.  Why is that??

Melon has always struck me as disgusting, but this is a must-try?

Maybe it's one of those flavors that has its fans while most everyone else would rather go thirsty. I remember a co-worker trying to convince me that peach Nehi was The Best! Eww! I love real peaches but hate peach flavored foods and, yep, I did not like that soda at all.

It's a fabulous sign.

You can brag to people that you're a Coke Connoisseur.

Helpful tip: If you have business cards printed up, you might want to specify that you're talking about the beverage. Assuming you are, of course.

Maybe you could get even fancier and hire yourself out as a Coke Sommelier. People would actually pay you to drink their soda, what with you being such an expert and all. That could be GOOD.

Mexican Coke is in most of the stores, kwik stops, etc. up here in eastern Colorado, western Kansas and southwestern Nebraska, too.  I don't know if it was the Mexicans who got the import started or if it was the gringos, but it's everywhere…  (as well as Fanta)

Yup. Very common around here. You can even get Mexican Coke and various other flavored sodas (pineapple, apple, coconut) in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.

My granddad was the manager of a grain elevator. Whenever we went to visit him at work, he would unlock the pop machine and give us each a bottle of Coke—which didn't happen often. Even Mexican Coke doesn't taste as good as my memory of how that Coke tasted.

It's a fabulous sign.

You can brag to people that you're a Coke Connoisseur.

Helpful tip: If you have business cards printed up, you might want to specify that you're talking about the beverage. Assuming you are, of course.

Maybe you could get even fancier and hire yourself out as a Coke Sommelier. People would actually pay you to drink their soda, what with you being such an expert and all. That could be GOOD.

Sadly my sommelier career is over before it even started as coke might as well be my crack and thus I am on a self imposed strict coke abstinence program.

I should start a 12 step program for coke (the beverage.)