Menu

RentU through Amazon?

I can't remember if it was RentU on Amazon, but I am positive it was about a textbook rental from a company on Amazon. The customer rented the book and stated that when they sent it back, that it was in good condition. The company they had rented from charged them $80.00 extra, after they received the book, claiming that it was returned in bad condition. If faced with that, how could one dispute it? (Possibly the textbook was damaged in the return shipment, possibly the company was dishonest, possibly the customer was wrong claiming the textbook was in good condition).  I have seen rental prices for some textbooks that are higher than the price one can purchase it from a reputable Amazon Seller listed in "Used-Good" condition. There are some risks to renting textbooks, but I suspect the majority of times it works out well for the customer. GL

I can't remember if it was RentU on Amazon, but I am positive it was about a textbook rental from a company on Amazon. The customer rented the book and stated that when they sent it back, that it was in good condition. The company they had rented from charged them $80.00 extra, after they received the book, claiming that it was returned in bad condition. If faced with that, how could one dispute it? (Possibly the textbook was damaged in the return shipment, possibly the company was dishonest, possibly the customer was wrong claiming the textbook was in good condition).  I have seen rental prices for some textbooks that are higher than the price one can purchase it from a reputable Amazon Seller listed in "Used-Good" condition. There are some risks to renting textbooks, but I suspect the majority of times it works out well for the customer. GL

Oh, that's a crappy experience!

Oh, that's a crappy experience!

Amen... I remember that when I read about that person's experience (I believe it was on Amazon) that I told my wife about it. I remember telling her, "Even if we lived in the USA, after reading that I would never risk that".   

However, the good news is that the people who replied who've rented have had good experiences.

If you buy textbooks, when you are finished with them, if they are in good condition, some of them are worth quite a bit of money. We are waiting for a textbook for DD to be delivered to our house today. A month or so ago, Amazon was willing to give a Credit, for approximately USD$24.00 for that textbook (in "Good" condition) and I believe they pay the shipping to them, within the USA.   

• 6 years later...
On 7/23/2014 at 12:17 PM, Runningmom80 said:

Any experiences?  I'm thinking of using it for the minimus secundus teacher book.

Don't....horrible service and misleading. We returned our book and were charged for it at full price, over $140, 3 weeks later... 

On 7/24/2014 at 11:01 AM, Runningmom80 said:

Same thing happened to my daughter.... and it was awful service... no way to get them to respond. They took out over $140 extra for a book we returned in the exact same condition as when we got it...