Menu

Well Trained Mind School in a box for K and 1....how cool is that?

Great idea, but $589 for 1st grade?  :ohmy:  I realize it's the deluxe package, but I would never recommend any family spend that type of money on 1st grade.  It's just not necessary.

That might be why I've never 100% jived with WTM.  It can float towards overkill.

Great idea, but $589 for 1st grade?  :ohmy:  I realize it's the deluxe package, but I would never recommend any family spend that type of money on 1st grade.  It's just not necessary.

That might be why I've never 100% jived with WTM.  It can float towards overkill.

I do not consider that high for first grade. I suppose it's relative :)

Great idea, but $589 for 1st grade? :ohmy: I realize it's the deluxe package, but I would never recommend any family spend that type of money on 1st grade. It's just not necessary.

That might be why I've never 100% jived with WTM. It can float towards overkill.

I don't think it's that bad considering a lot of other companies' packages are mostly consumable. With PHP's package, you'd use the phonics in second grade, too; the science books and fine arts items would probably become family favorites.

I like the convenience!

I wish they would put a caveat on the description, though, saying something about the purchaser needing to get books from the library for history and reading aloud. I don't like the use of the word, "Complete."

I also wish they'd include Prismacolor pencils for map work, but that would drive the cost up, unless they could find a bundle deal (I recall Homeschool Coop or something like that having unboxed Prismas for a ton less than usual about 4 years ago or so).

I like the convenience!

I wish they would put a caveat on the description, though, saying something about the purchaser needing to get books from the library for history and reading aloud. I don't like the use of the word, "Complete."

I also wish they'd include Prismacolor pencils for map work, but that would drive the cost up, unless they could find a bundle deal (I recall Homeschool Coop or something like that having unboxed Prismas for a ton less than usual about 4 years ago or so).

I agree with this. It definitely isn't complete - you either need to use the library, and if you do not have access to a great library, well... you need to buy all the read alouds, etc.

I spent around $600 for first grade this year. Plus basic supplies. So it doesn't seem too crazy to me.

If you check the 1st grade thread, someone asked if anyone added up their purchases. The amounts run the gamut: $243, $600, $600, ~$600, $400+, less than $50 (tagging along w/older sibs), $130, $160, ~$1,000 (includes multiple years of some things), ~$100, <$40, $135 (includes MM1-3), $315 (if including online curriculum/ $135 if not), $500-$800.

I think you will find that WTM's "complete" package isn't all that far off from some other "boxed" 1st grade programs:

Memoria Press's "complete" 1st grade package: $365. The Read-Aloud program adds $290 to that. Science/Enrichment set adds another $250

Timberdoodle's "basic" 1st grade package:  $249; "complete" $549; "elite" $699

Sonlight's complete 1st grade package: $839

Abeka's 1st grade child kit: $241 + TM's (Parent Kit): $143

BJU's 1st grade "complete" $859

My Father's World: Basic $214, Deluxe $261

CLE: $271.50 (did not include all items/flashcards/manipulatives)

I agree that some of these are eye-poppingly expensive. However, it is important to consider consumables vs. reusable/resellable items in the cost. I mentioned in the quoted thread that I spent ~$366 in my oldest's first grade year and less than $40 on my 4th kid's 1st grade year. All I'm replacing are the consumables - of which there are very few in my chosen "stuff." 

I'm glad Peace Hill Press is putting these together. While I'm too eclectic to "buy a box," this will help some people put it all together when they are starting out.

I think most people who are purchasing any type of grade-level-in-a-box are generally people looking for the convenience of having everything picked for them or the assurance that they are doing everything they "should." These things generally come with a price. I personally think this is a great idea. I think there is a definite market for having SWB's picks all grouped together conveniently and shipped to your door.

If you check the 1st grade thread, someone asked if anyone added up their purchases. The amounts run the gamut: $243, $600, $600, ~$600, $400+, less than $50 (tagging along w/older sibs), $130, $160, ~$1,000 (includes multiple years of some things), ~$100, <$40, $135 (includes MM1-3), $315 (if including online curriculum/ $135 if not), $500-$800.

I think you will find that WTM's "complete" package isn't all that far off from some other "boxed" 1st grade programs:

Memoria Press's "complete" 1st grade package: $365. The Read-Aloud program adds $290 to that. Science/Enrichment set adds another $250

Timberdoodle's "basic" 1st grade package: $249; "complete" $549; "elite" $699

Sonlight's complete 1st grade package: $839

Abeka's 1st grade child kit: $241 + TM's (Parent Kit): $143

BJU's 1st grade "complete" $859

My Father's World: Basic $214, Deluxe $261

CLE: $271.50 (did not include all items/flashcards/manipulatives)

I agree that some of these are eye-poppingly expensive. However, it is important to consider consumables vs. reusable/resellable items in the cost. I mentioned in the quoted thread that I spent ~$366 in my oldest's first grade year and less than $40 on my 4th kid's 1st grade year. All I'm replacing are the consumables - of which there are very few in my chosen "stuff."

I'm glad Peace Hill Press is putting these together. While I'm too eclectic to "buy a box," this will help some people put it all together when they are starting out.

I spent about.$400 for first grade which includes Kingfisher's history encyclopedia and some living books (and some stuff I got and hated and won't use but hope to sell).

If I put my DD in the Christian school I taught in the last few years, we'd have spent $625 just for application and registration fees, and this was truly one of the cheapest schools in our part of Texas. A classical school in our city is $9K for elementary, so $600 for a quality education is really a steal!

Personally, I do like to buy used stuff to save money. There is also the thrill of finding a deal in Goodwill that I don't want to give up.

Nice, convenient, but more than we could spend for sure.

For Dd I spent about $100 on books. For Ds this year about $75. But we hunt down used materials, have a few hand me downs from families with older kids and we use the library heavily.

I am sure the WTM packages will help many people though and the younger years are where more people need the help and are more likely to go with all in a box. The savings in time and stress will be worth a great deal to beginning homeschoolers or someone who jumps in last minute.

Cool

Sanity in a box. Love it.

That's what they should rename it!

I wouldn't use it myself but I think it's a fabulous idea and I'm surprised it wasn't brought out sooner (in fact, the very first time I read TWTM I thought that there should be somewhere one could buy all the suggested resources as a package deal). And the price doesn't seem too bad for the amount of stuff included, especially since the bulk of it could be reused through multiple children (or sold/gifted on).

I love that idea! What an awesome way to  get everything you need in one fell swoop. I would totally have purchased this  because we're  using everything  here (except  for the math) this year. The math is the only thing that raises my eyebrows. I can't remember but  doesn't SWB talk in WTM about  going a grade up in Saxon, or is that just a board thing? I know my Ker would have been bored to tears last year with Saxon K.

True, but I think one could reuse most of it.  Some would require either making copies of certain things (like student pages in SOTW) or buying the refills which aren't that expensive.  So if you could get 2-3 uses out of this it would cut the cost way down.

Yep, I'm on my last first grader and for this year I only needed to buy math workbooks.  I splurged and bought a student workbook of WWE1 on the 60% off sale instead of printing it again.

Great idea, but $589 for 1st grade? :ohmy: I realize it's the deluxe package, but I would never recommend any family spend that type of money on 1st grade. It's just not necessary.

That might be why I've never 100% jived with WTM. It can float towards overkill.

Don't go check out sonlight then!!!