Menu

Work from home..

I write online web content. It takes time to establish yourself, but in about 3 years, I've created a client base and I can usually make a couple hundred dollars a month if I'm disciplined.

I started with textbroker, but now I mostly work for Writer Access. I;ve also picked up work off of online ads.

I write online web content. It takes time to establish yourself, but in about 3 years, I've created a client base and I can usually make a couple hundred dollars a month if I'm disciplined.

I started with textbroker, but now I mostly work for Writer Access. I;ve also picked up work off of online ads.

This sounds great and I love to write, but I wonder how they would rate my writing.

I remember in school my teachers used to say I wrote too much information. I will

still give it a try because it can't hurt.

I tutor English, essay writing and social studies with Tutor.com. I think I found them initially on one of the WAH websites that someone here recommended, but you can go directly to their site to find the information about testing and applying. I've been working for them for about a year, and I like it very much. I select the hours I want to work from what is available on the schedule. (I can log in and "float" any time I want, but tutors are not paid for waiting time unless we are scheduled to work that hour.) The availability of hours varies depending on the time of year. During the summer, it's often hard to schedule hours, and I rarely get more than five or six a week on the schedule. But during the last few weeks of the fall and spring semesters, I can work 20 hours a week, if I want.

When I applied, they required only that you have at least a year or two of college and could pass the test in your chosen subject area and get through a mock session with a mentor. It seems like they are putting more emphasis these days on wanting tutors to have degrees, though. 

The money isn't enough to live on, certainly, but it's more than I was making working retail. And I like that I can set my own hours. I also enjoy working with the students.

A few months ago, in anticipation of the drop in tutoring hours over the summer, I also signed up to do general transcription through Rev.com. You have to test to get hired there, too, and they supposedly take only about 10% of the people who apply. But it doesn't require a degree or any training or experience. We get paid by the minute of audio that we transcribe, no matter how long it takes you to actually make out and type what is said in that minute. So, the effective hourly rate varies and can be quite low. However, you work only when you want to and can choose the jobs you take. So, again, definitely wouldn't work as a primary income, but if you're serious and focused, you can bring in a couple of hundred dollars a month working in your pajamas (if that's your thing).

I tutor English, essay writing and social studies with Tutor.com. I think I found them initially on one of the WAH websites that someone here recommended, but you can go directly to their site to find the information about testing and applying. I've been working for them for about a year, and I like it very much. I select the hours I want to work from what is available on the schedule. (I can log in and "float" any time I want, but tutors are not paid for waiting time unless we are scheduled to work that hour.) The availability of hours varies depending on the time of year. During the summer, it's often hard to schedule hours, and I rarely get more than five or six a week on the schedule. But during the last few weeks of the fall and spring semesters, I can work 20 hours a week, if I want.

When I applied, they required only that you have at least a year or two of college and could pass the test in your chosen subject area and get through a mock session with a mentor. It seems like they are putting more emphasis these days on wanting tutors to have degrees, though. 

The money isn't enough to live on, certainly, but it's more than I was making working retail. And I like that I can set my own hours. I also enjoy working with the students.

A few months ago, in anticipation of the drop in tutoring hours over the summer, I also signed up to do general transcription through Rev.com. You have to test to get hired there, too, and they supposedly take only about 10% of the people who apply. But it doesn't require a degree or any training or experience. We get paid by the minute of audio that we transcribe, no matter how long it takes you to actual make out and type what is said in that minute. So, the effective hourly rate varies and can be quite low. However, you work only when you want to and can choose the jobs you take. So, again, definitely wouldn't work as a primary income, but if you're serious and focused, you can bring in a couple of hundred dollars a month working in your pajamas (if that's your thing).

These both sound like great ideas. If I had college credit then I could do the first but I chose to be a wife and

mom right out of high school.

I do LOVE the second idea and it would be perfect for what I am looking for.

Thank you! Wish me luck on applying.

I do very part-time contract work in the sector I used to work FT in, mostly from home. It's accounting and fund development work. I like it because it's neither menial or especially difficult and it pays enough hourly that I can nicely pad our budget working just a little each month.