Menu

Pencil grip

I taught a little boy who was about 9yo who held his pencil at the very, very tip, such that his hand hid what he was writing unless he hung over his pencil like Snoopy being a vulture. If only his mother had taught him how to hold his crayons when first began scribbling, and his first three teachers had taught him proper pencil grip. By the time he came to me, he was too set in his ways. Not only did his hand ache when he did very much writing but his neck and shoulders hurt, as well. :-(

There is one called the crossover grip, specifically for that issue, or the CLAW one would work. 

I'm at my wit's end with my 4 year old. She can sort of hold the crayon/pencil right if I sit there and remind her over and over but has zero stamina doing it. And it still isn't quite right. Meanwhile, with NO instruction my 20 month old holds his crayons properly. We do use the triangle shaped Melissa and Doug crayons, so I think that naturally helped him figure it out. And I encourage writing on the chalkboard with small pieces of chalk, which keeps her using a tripod style grip...the pieces are too small to fist. But yeah, I'm close to the .point of asking when to see an OT. Then I think it is silly to go to an OT about it when she isn't even 5 years old yet. 

There is one called the crossover grip, specifically for that issue, or the CLAW one would work. 

I'm at my wit's end with my 4 year old. She can sort of hold the crayon/pencil right if I sit there and remind her over and over but has zero stamina doing it. And it still isn't quite right. Meanwhile, with NO instruction my 20 month old holds his crayons properly. We do use the triangle shaped Melissa and Doug crayons, so I think that naturally helped him figure it out. And I encourage writing on the chalkboard with small pieces of chalk, which keeps her using a tripod style grip...the pieces are too small to fist. But yeah, I'm close to the .point of asking when to see an OT. Then I think it is silly to go to an OT about it when she isn't even 5 years old yet. 

But it is much easier to correct something like this when she is young than when she is 6 or 7 or 8. :-)

I think OTs recommend that you get several different ones and let the child use anything that corrects the grip and is comfortable. I've ordered from here: http://www.therapyshoppe.com/category/1595-left-handed and there are many options.

I wish someone had corrected my grip in kindergarten. By 4th grade, when we had to write for extended periods and in cursive, I developed wrist pain and was criticized for my bad penmanship. I've since managed to improve my writing, but still can't write for long without pain.

The drawyourworld website sells a variety pack with several different types of grips and pencils.

Also, I went to a HWT training where they showed a cool trick of tying a rubber band to the eraser end of a pencil. The the kid sticks there hand through the large loop of the rubber band with the pencil on top of their hand. (I tried to find.a picture). The rubberp band makes it very difficult to hold the pencil incorrectly.

Pencil grip is important. It has to do with the muscles used for handwriting. When using proper grip and proper posture, a person is using primarily finger and hand muscles. Other grips require require use of arm and even shoulder muscles. This leads to increased fatigue when writing. When kids get tired and sore firm writing they won't want to write.

The big problem is that grip doesn't matter so much with 4-5.yr olds because they don't have to do a large amount of writing, except that the habit(grip) used at that age is very, very hard to change when older.

True. I guess I don't know if they would even bother with us, at 4 years old. It IS improving,  but slowly. Very slowly.

In my experience, it's easier to encourage a proper grip early with a good pencil grip than to battle an incorrect grip that is well established.  My favorites are the Crossover (adequate for most) and Claw (for those that need more help).

So how do you wean a child off the grip? Do you have them write without the grip and then immediately move back should their grip start to deteriorate? I got the crossover grip and so far so good. In fact, I wouldn't mind using one myself!

I basically do what you describe, have them use the grip until I think they no longer need it and go back to using it if they aren't ready or regress.  The crossover is nice!  I used it with all of my children except for my youngest (6 1/2 - still wants to grip pencils like a toddler if given the chance).  He needed something more so he's currently using the claw and will (I hope, LOL) eventually graduate to the crossover. 

I think that pencil grip is important *if* the grip is causing problems such as fatigue or cramping. I never knew until I was teaching my daughter to write that I had an "incorrect" grip. I don't tire from holding my writing utensils the way I do, I don't have hand cramps, my handwriting is better than average... There was (and is) no reason to correct my grip.

That said, I did buy the crossover grip for my daughter when she started forming letters. I wanted her to learn it the correct way from the beginning. http://www.amazon.com/The-Pencil-Grip-Crossover-TPG-17706/dp/B001SN8HPI/ref=sr_1_2?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1406762321&sr=1-2&keywords=The+pencil+grip

I did reteach a nine year old but it is not something that I would wish on anyone--nine year old or teacher. My six year old uses golf pencils, which are about half the length of "grownup pencils" and easier for him to manage. A proper pencil grip does not come naturally to him so he does not do as much writing as some 6 year olds and it is sad to see him lose his enthusiasm for drawing, but this absolutely top priority after living through the alternatives with my older child.

I would scribe for a child or have them point to the pictures in a workbook rather than allow the incorrect grip become a deeply ingrained habit that s/he has to work hard to correct.

I believe that Ellie mentioned that you can start teaching proper pencil grip with a toddler when they start using eating utensils. I wish I'd "met" Ellie a lot sooner than I did.

I did reteach a nine year old but it is not something that I would wish on anyone--nine year old or teacher. My six year old uses golf pencils, which are about half the length of "grownup pencils" and easier for him to manage. A proper pencil grip does not come naturally to him so he does not do as much writing as some 6 year olds and it is sad to see him lose his enthusiasm for drawing, but this absolutely top priority after living through the alternatives with my older child.

I would scribe for a child or have them point to the pictures in a workbook rather than allow the incorrect grip become a deeply ingrained habit that s/he has to work hard to correct.

I believe that Ellie mentioned that you can start teaching proper pencil grip with a toddler when they start using eating utensils. I wish I'd "met" Ellie a lot sooner than I did.

:001_wub:

I was determined to teach my dc to have good table manners, lol. So, yes, I put their little spoons into their little hands properly, and you know what? They could feed themselves when they were a year old, with properly held spoons. And I have noticed that if people hold their eating utensils weirdly, they are more likely to hold their writing implements weirdly, as well.

:001_wub:

I was determined to teach my dc to have good table manners, lol. So, yes, I put their little spoons into their little hands properly, and you know what? They could feed themselves when they were a year old, with properly held spoons. And I have noticed that if people hold their eating utensils weirdly, they are more likely to hold their writing implements weirdly, as well.

Yep, BTDT.  I'm pretty sure I've seen the Claw being sold for use on utensils/etc for children who have delays and/or other issues for that very reason.