Menu

Brand new homeschooler to K, 4th, and 6th graders...need HELP!

Snappychic

So this is our first year venturing into unchartered territory, and it's been mind-numbing to wade through all the choices and then get even more confused when I start reading reviews. We've lived in rural SD for the past three years, and there aren't very many other homeschoolers and certainly no coops or support groups that I've found. I've talked the two only local homeschoolers I know, and one completely follows HOD. The other uses a different boxed curricula. We are a Christian family but would prefer to keep our subjects secular. I've got three daughters starting kindergarten, 4th, and 6th grades.

I've been a stay-at-home mom since our firstborn, but I'm a former high school math teacher with a BS in mathematics. I'm really excited to use Singapore math with them, but I'm finding they aren't testing anywhere near grade level. A suggestion I've seen mentioned a couple of times here is to just start everyone at 2A (except my DDK) to get a feel for the Singapore Math system and learn their key methods for solving problems. However, my DD11 is horrified at the thought of taking 2nd grade math even when I explain that it's only for "review" and should go quickly. Can anyone help me decide what do or how to make this work for my girls?

The area I'm totally clueless about though is language arts. In fact, this is an area that I've pretty much avoided my entire life. My brain basically shuts down when I try to research what's out there and what all I need to be teaching. Just so I'm clear, my girls need curriculum for grammar, spelling, vocabulary, handwriting, and reading. Am I missing anything? I'm really hoping to find the same curriculum for both girls at their individual levels where they can work somewhat independently. Please, please, please give me suggestions and break it down in simple terms for me.

Other than that, this is what I've got chosen so far:

Science: Noeo Biology 2 (DD9 and DD11 will do together)

History: SOTW 1 ( all three girls will do this together, DDK will just listen to the readings and color)

Latin: Lively Latin Big Book 1 (DD9 and DD11 will both do at their own pace)

The girls will also be reading age-appropriate literature throughout the year, and I will seek out what other families do along with those books.

I greatly would appreciate any other input, advice, recommendations, or ANYTHING because I'm basically freaking out about this whole process. Thanks so much, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

A suggestion I've seen mentioned a couple of times here is to just start everyone at 2A (except my DDK) to get a feel for the Singapore Math system and learn their key methods for solving problems.

Putting a 6th grader on SM 2A would be beyond boredom. SM 6 is mainly review though so I would suggest SM 5A instead of going all the way back to SM 2A. Your 4th grader could start at SM 3A and learn the bar model method.

Putting a 6th grader on SM 2A would be beyond boredom.

That's what I'm afraid of. I know that SM really pushes the mental math method and that it's something taught early on. Are there any resources to share with my girls before starting that would teach them this method and offer some practice?

Don't freak out! Former teacher here, too, and bringing my rising 6th grader home.

Math: Regarding Singapore, my ds is very adept at math, especially mental math, and he tested worse than I think he should have. So, I'm just going down to the 5th level. From looking at the books, I know he can handle it. He has math facts down cold (thank goodness for that!), but really needs to learn the bar model method. I'm confident he will grasp things quickly and I'm hoping we can get through the 5 level and perhaps into the 6th. I don't personally see the value of going all the way back to 2A unless the facts are not memorized.

Language Arts:

For grammar, I decided on R&S 5.

For reading: Memoria Press 5th grade program because ds had never been exposed to the Middle Ages before and requested it. This has vocabulary with it. I'm having him read sotw1 now for summer reading to prep.

Spelling: I have a ps program I'm going to use with ds because spelling is an issue and he needs remediation.

Writing: I opted to use MP Classical Composition. Ds is a very good writer.

Handwriting: totally missed out on cursive in ps. So, going to use MP cursive program for older students/adults. Looks very doable.

SOTW for history for both sounds great. I'm not familiar with the science you listed, but have noticed mentions of it often.

One reason I went with mostly MP is the fact that they schedule tests and quizzes and expect mastery for most every subject. Yes, there was too much testing in ps, but it was not of this type. I want him to study for tests and for both of us to have that accountability piece.

So this is our first year venturing into uncharted territory, and it's been mind-numbing to wade through all the choices and then get even more confused when I start reading reviews. We've lived in rural SD for the past three years, and there aren't very many other homeschoolers and certainly no coops or support groups that I've found. I've talked the two only local homeschoolers I know, and one completely follows HOD. The other uses a different boxed curricula. We are a Christian family but would prefer to keep our subjects secular. I've got three daughters starting kindergarten, 4th, and 6th grades.

I've been a stay-at-home mom since our firstborn, but I'm a former high school math teacher with a BS in mathematics. I'm really excited to use Singapore math with them, but I'm finding they aren't testing anywhere near grade level. A suggestion I've seen mentioned a couple of times here is to just start everyone at 2A (except my DDK) to get a feel for the Singapore Math system and learn their key methods for solving problems. However, my DD11 is horrified at the thought of taking 2nd grade math even when I explain that it's only for "review" and should go quickly. Can anyone help me decide what do or how to make this work for my girls?

The area I'm totally clueless about though is language arts. In fact, this is an area that I've pretty much avoided my entire life. My brain basically shuts down when I try to research what's out there and what all I need to be teaching. Just so I'm clear, my girls need curriculum for grammar, spelling, vocabulary, handwriting, and reading. Am I missing anything? I'm really hoping to find the same curriculum for both girls at their individual levels where they can work somewhat independently. Please, please, please give me suggestions and break it down in simple terms for me.

Other than that, this is what I've got chosen so far:

Science: Noeo Biology 2 (DD9 and DD11 will do together)

History: SOTW 1 ( all three girls will do this together, DDK will just listen to the readings and color)

Latin: Lively Latin Big Book 1 (DD9 and DD11 will both do at their own pace)

The girls will also be reading age-appropriate literature throughout the year, and I will seek out what other families do along with those books.

I greatly would appreciate any other input, advice, recommendations, or ANYTHING because I'm basically freaking out about this whole process. Thanks so much, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Do they *have* to do Singapore? Why not Saxon? That would be my first recommendation.

My favorite grammar is Easy Grammar. They can't do it completely independently, as you will need to correct each page before they do the next one, but you'll only need to spend a few minutes correcting, and then a few minutes going over the next lesson, and they can be on their way. I think it would be good to focus on grammar first, then do something for writing when they finish the grammar. If they do three pages a day, they'll finish way before the end of the year, and then we can talk about something for writing. :-)

I would probably not do both spelling and vocabulary, mainly because when you're a baby homeschooler, less is more. :-) Rod and Staff Publisher's Spelling by Sound and Structure is very good, and it intended to be done independently.

Are you *sure* they need penmanship?

Integrating subjects and combining children whenever possible makes homeschooling much better. If you get the Activity Book that goes with SOTW, you'll have literature covered because of the recommended books for literature are connected to each history chapter.  This is an excellent way to reinforce what they're learning in history. There will be bios of scientists in there too along with related hands on activities and geography.  Instructions for narrations (the foundation of language arts) are in the front and each chapter has prompting questions related to the chapter you read aloud in SOTW if your kids have a hard time with narrating the whole thing back to you. Your kids can copy their narrations for handwriting after you write down what they say unless you want to do a separate handwriting series.

What do you mean by "reading"?  Do you mean reading aloud and discussing literature?  Do you mean phonics? Do you mean independent literature reading? Do you mean reading about a topic of interest to the child?

The best vocabulary program is reading aloud excellent  literature every day. We read aloud literature to our kids 2 hours a day (total, not all in one sitting) at least 5 days a week until they go to college.  Also, Latin and Greek word roots are a good thing to do after the child is done with phonics.  It will give them the building blocks they need for science and civics vocabularies.

Your words are comforting, Shay! Thanks! I will check out Memoria Press. It's funny you mentioned them because someone in another thread I was just reading suggested them, too. Noeo was chosen because it came with kits and was the only secular curriculum I could find that had a level that was recommended for both my girls' ages. My husband is a scientist and is hoping to be able to teach them science every so often. He requested that I avoid anything "churchy". We are Christians, but my husband wants as neutral curricula as possible for our girls while we do our own scripture study at designated times (probably to start out our day).

I'll give my kids more credit than what the SM placement tests are telling me, and probably have them each start a grade lower. Their school was great with drills and sent home flash cards they had to complete daily, so they've got their math facts down. They are both decent math students, but I wouldn't say gifted. I'm not sure where they stand with mental math.

Do they *have* to do Singapore? Why not Saxon? That would be my first recommendation.

My favorite grammar is Easy Grammar. They can't do it completely independently, as you will need to correct each page before they do the next one, but you'll only need to spend a few minutes correcting, and then a few minutes going over the next lesson, and they can be on their way. I think it would be good to focus on grammar first, then do something for writing when they finish the grammar. If they do three pages a day, they'll finish way before the end of the year, and then we can talk about something for writing. :-)

I would probably not do both spelling and vocabulary, mainly because when you're a baby homeschooler, less is more. :-) Rod and Staff Publisher's Spelling by Sound and Structure is very good, and it intended to be done independently.

Are you *sure* they need penmanship?

Wow...thanks, Ellie! It's great to get that recommendation about not trying to fit in too much. I'm all for that since LA is definitely an area I shy away from. I've seen Easy Grammar mentioned often, so I'll have to give it another look. I've not looked into R&S that much. When I showed my husband the HOD catalog (which uses R&S) that another HSer loaned to me he immediately dismissed it because he wants the girls' education secular. I wouldn't mind some mix of both as long as it's not too distracting. Would you say the R&S spelling you recommend would fit that bill?

As far as penmanship, my DD11 has wonderful handwriting and is actually studying calligraphy (a kit she bought on her own when given money to spend at Walgreen's), so I suppose I could skip it with her. DD9 still writes like she's just learning. She definitely doesn't practice the cursive she learned in 3rd grade.

Saxon and I go way back. It was what was used when I was in high school, and it's also what was used when I taught honors pre-calc. My own experience with this kind of learning was great until I got to college and hit a wall in my upper level math courses. Basically, it boiled down to me being able to understand the how but I never truly grasped application and struggled when a different problem from the examples was posed. I'm not expecting my girls to follow in my footsteps and do upper level maths, but I'm hoping the change in approach early on will cement a deeper understanding of math concepts. I realize Saxon is successful for many who go onto higher math learning with no difficulty, but I want to try something different than the way I was taught.

Integrating subjects and combining children whenever possible makes homeschooling much better. If you get the Activity Book that goes with SOTW, you'll have literature covered because of the recommended books for literature are connected to each history chapter. This is an excellent way to reinforce what they're learning in history. There will be bios of scientists in there too along with related hands on activities and geography. Instructions for narrations (the foundation of language arts) are in the front and each chapter has prompting questions related to the chapter you read aloud in SOTW if your kids have a hard time with narrating the whole thing back to you. Your kids can copy their narrations for handwriting after you write down what they say unless you want to do a separate handwriting series.

What do you mean by "reading"? Do you mean reading aloud and discussing literature? Do you mean phonics? Do you mean independent literature reading? Do you mean reading about a topic of interest to the child?

The best vocabulary program is reading aloud excellent literature every day. We read aloud literature to our kids 2 hours a day (total, not all in one sitting) at least 5 days a week until they go to college. Also, Latin and Greek word roots are a good thing to do after the child is done with phonics. It will give them the building blocks they need for science and civics vocabularies.

Yes, the reading I'm meaning is just good old fashioned reading of books they love but also some classics along the way. My kindergartner will need phonics, but that's a whole different topic...lol. How awesome though that SOTW can fulfill more than just the history part of their studies. I'll definitely be applying the extra suggestions from the activity book. I agree that it will be best to try to combine my girls together in as many subjects as I can.

Thanks to all you ladies for all your helpful suggestions! You have truly eased my mind.

If you are using the Standard edition of SM the grades are a bit off.  For example:  a 4th grader on target would start the year with 3B and finish with 4A.  This is according to their website.  THis gave my kiddo a lot of peace when I let her know that.  They just need to get out of the public school mentality that the number 4 on a book means 4th grade.  Also, they can go as fast as they want through a book.  I would suggest starting them where the SM website suggests and let them work through the books quickly.  The mental math they will learn early on will make all math so much easier from here on out.  The beauty of SM is the mental math so don't skip just because it might seem like the right thing to do.  On years we fall behind we do summer school math.  No biggie.  Some years I do more than 1 curriculum cause the kids are doing so well.  One of the best parts of homeschooling is meeting the kids where they are!  If they need to work a little harder to catch up, no biggie.  My kiddo who I took out is 2nd grade needed to.  We worked hard but I kept a jar of m&m's handy to reward her efforts.   Welcome to the homeschool world!

Your words are comforting, Shay! Thanks! I will check out Memoria Press. It's funny you mentioned them because someone in another thread I was just reading suggested them, too. Noeo was chosen because it came with kits and was the only secular curriculum I could find that had a level that was recommended for both my girls' ages. My husband is a scientist and is hoping to be able to teach them science every so often. He requested that I avoid anything "churchy". We are Christians, but my husband wants as neutral curricula as possible for our girls while we do our own scripture study at designated times (probably to start out our day).

I'll give my kids more credit than what the SM placement tests are telling me, and probably have them each start a grade lower. Their school was great with drills and sent home flash cards they had to complete daily, so they've got their math facts down. They are both decent math students, but I wouldn't say gifted. I'm not sure where they stand with mental math.

PS, I combine all grades with SOTW through 8th grade.  It is so much easier and fun when we are doing a project together.  Plus, the whole family watches movies and documentaries together covering the things we are studying in history (and science which we also combine) through the year.

If you are using the Standard edition of SM the grades are a bit off. For example: a 4th grader on target would start the year with 3B and finish with 4A. This is according to their website. THis gave my kiddo a lot of peace when I let her know that. They just need to get out of the public school mentality that the number 4 on a book means 4th grade. Also, they can go as fast as they want through a book. I would suggest starting them where the SM website suggests and let them work through the books quickly. The mental math they will learn early on will make all math so much easier from here on out. The beauty of SM is the mental math so don't skip just because it might seem like the right thing to do. On years we fall behind we do summer school math. No biggie. Some years I do more than 1 curriculum cause the kids are doing so well. One of the best parts of homeschooling is meeting the kids where they are! If they need to work a little harder to catch up, no biggie. My kiddo who I took out is 2nd grade needed to. We worked hard but I kept a jar of m&m's handy to reward her efforts. Welcome to the homeschool world!

Thank you so much for the SM coaching. We all will have to break from the PS "grade" mentality. I want to make this a smooth transition for my girls, but it's definitely going to take soe getting used to. So, are you using the Standards Edition then? I've seen a mix from what I've read here and am still on the fence about which to get.

It's great to see another family who all do SOTW together. And until 8th grade, you say? That's great because that'll give DD11 3 years of it and my other DDs a chance to get through all 4 years of it.