Menu

Reading/Phonics/Language - What do you do for K and 2nd?

OneBusyMomma

I have an upcoming kindergertener and second grader. We plan to use Horizons math for both of them but we are on the fence when it comes to a reading and phonics curriculum. We tried Horizons two years ago when my oldest was in kindergarten but it was a lot of writing. It became overwhelming and unenjoyable for us both. After that experience I became very discouraged and put her back in public school for first grade. I'm being pulled back to the idea of homeschooling but get so overwhelmed when trying to find curriculum. My biggest fear is for us to experience what we did in kindergarten. I don't want that for her, my son, or myself. I want this to be a fun and enjoyable experience for us all. Of course we'll have our days, but overall I want it to be enjoyable. So I'm curious to hear what other moms and children enjoy. I looked into All About Reading/Spelling but I'm not sure how that program will work when transitioning into higher grade levels.

How much phonics do your children know? I don't know anything about horizons phonics program. I like phonics pathways. But if your children are kinesthetic learners, this may not be the way to go.

My friend used Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading and I was impressed by how much her 5 year could read. I hear it's dry though.

Hth

Before starting homeschooling again I would sit down and write what would be fun - for you and your children. I have had days that make me want to tear my hair out and then the next day I think what makes it fun and try to do that - so yesterday we baked cupcakes right after Maths and did read alouds all afternoon. Sometimes my eldest likes to turn cartwheels while doing her times tables. Sitting at a desk and filling in worksheets all day would drive us both crazy and result in fights.

But it is less the curriculum than how you manage it that causes these problems - you can adapt any curriculum to make it fun or you just need to learn to shorten it or change it somehow for yourself and your children.

Phonics Pathways and AAR are supposed to be more fun than some of the others. I know AAR is not writing heavy and it sounds like you need curricula with less writing - you can always make writing heavy curricula more oral or be the scribe yourself. I used OPGTR for both my children but had to adapt it and have very very shirt lessons at their age to get them to cope with it as it is quite dry.

Guest kevhemi

I really like Alpha Phonics. It is very basic and low-key, but the results come quickly when your child is ready to read.

OPGTR can be useful, but the primer approach wasn't enough for my child. I added Spalding (WRTR) and I saw an increase in his ability through the spelling activities. The WRTR manual is a bit difficult to implement and I basically needed to rearrange and re-write it. This year I've decided to take my 7 year old through The Wand. After talking with the SLP who created it, I'm feeling a bit more confident that it will be a great supplement to a tweaked Spalding approach. 

AAR and Recipe for Reading also look very useful. I haven't used any of the All About programs. I do have Recipe For Reading, but it's also a bit disorganized. 

Plaid Phonics and ETC workbooks can be useful to add a writing component to phonics, but they get a bit boring.

Mainly the best phonics program is the one that works for each individual family.My oldest never finished a phonics program. He learned to read quickly and a spelling program was then all he needed to continue. My 7 year old is not learning to read in the same trajectory so I've had to experiment and try different things. 

Depending on where you Ker is, I start with letter sounds with starfall.com, leapfactory videos, letter sound books (from the library) and the ETC primer books are good for that too. You can also print off/use the Progressive Phonics books online on their site for free. Those are great. After learning letter sounds, we go to Bob books. 

I also used Happy Phonics which is a bunch of games to teach the different rules. 

My DD is a rising 1st grader but is reading way above grade level. We have been using the ETC books for her and LLATL red. I also get tons of great childrens books for her to read each day during her quiet time and before she goes to sleep at night. I am thinking of adding Wordly Wise for her this year too b/c I think she'd like it. I'm not sure it's really necessary though.