Menu

s/o - making your own, natural cleaners - Recipes

StaceyinLA

Let's share recipes for various homemade cleaning products, along with a list of uses. I've been wanting to start making my own stuff since I found out Melaleuca isn't as natural as I thought, and I need some good recipes for various types of cleaners.

I figured with all the frugal talk, we could have all the directions in one place!

I use the laundry detergent recipe from how does she because it makes a huge batch, I've used the crystals before but won't agIn, it cleans nicely and you don't need a lot. I use essential oils for a lot of things but they can pricey so I don't use them much for cleaning.

http://www.howdoesshe.com/cheaper-and-better-diy-laundry-detergent/

I was good to go with vinegar and baking soda. But then I tried a Better Life product b/c I liked their spot on Shark Tank. And then I bought another. And another.  Now I use their odor and stain remover, glass cleaner, "Even the Kitchen Sink" cleaner, and Whatever spray.  It's not cheap, so I started buying the odor/stain remover and Whatever in gallon concentrate jugs. :o

But I still reach for plain vinegar and baking soda for lots of things.

I used that Dawn deter and vinegar combo for my incredibly embarassingly gross shower--and it was like MAGIC.

Stinky magic, but magic. I sprayed and let sit overnight, then scrubbed lightly (basically just wiping) and rinsed well. I used slightly less than a 1:1 ratio because the Dawn was concentrated.

I couldn't believe it.

I'm not sure Dawn is the most "natural" product around, but it works.

Also, salt works to clean a cast iron frying pan without hurting the seasoning. (Haha--seasoning won't hurt the seasoning! lol)

I started using some homemade cleaners a few months ago when my dd's asthma kicked up. I've tried a couple from here: IHeart Organizing. I don't use essential oils, however, as we are trying to avoid fragrances.

On my list to try: Tub & Shower Magic

:bigear:

I've been meaning to try that. And I especially love that this link includes nutritional information for the tub cleaner. :)

I've been using this recipe as a basic all purpose cleaner for years.  It smells awesome!  I love lavender, but you could scent it however you like (that's the beauty of homemade products!)

BASIC ALKALINE CLEANER

2TSP borax

1/2 TSP Castille soap (I use unscented)

2 cups hot water

10 drops lavender essential oil

Dispense into a spray bottle.

I can't remember where I originally found this recipe, but it works great!

For an acidic cleaner I just tend to use diluted white vinegar.

I just started using this laundry detergent a couple of months ago. I use a different soap though - Kirk's Castille. I love it and can't believe I wasted so much money on Tide over the years!

http://askannamoseley.com/2013/05/the-best-homemade-laundry-detergent-and-why/

I love vinegar for cleaning windows and the dish soap/vinegar combo for cleaning my tub and shower. 

My favorite surface cleaner recipe, great for windows, countertops, etc.:

2 cups rubbing alcohol

2 cups water

2 Tbsp white vinegar

Just add all to a squirt bottle.

I've been using this for about 6 years and can't imagine going back to a commercial spray.

I boil a cup of white vinegar in a dish in the microwave for about 3 min.  Then I let the microwave sit for about 10 more minutes.  All the crud comes right off!  

The stench and breathing while you wipe are an issue, but it works!

Do the laundry detergent recipes work in an HE washer? And what if you have a water softener?

Also, can anyone recommend a good degreaser recipe? There's this film building up on my upper cupboard doors and it's not coming off with vinegar, soap and water.

I boil a cup of white vinegar in a dish in the microwave for about 3 min.  Then I let the microwave sit for about 10 more minutes.  All the crud comes right off!  

The stench and breathing while you wipe are an issue, but it works!

You can do the same with lemon juice, and then your house will smell good!

Does anyone know anything natural that will get rid of mold and mildew?  With the constant damp weather in the PNW, we have a terrible time with mold and mildew, and I hate using bleach.  I'm allergic to it, and if it touches my skin at all I get hives, and it makes it difficult for me to breathe.  When I have to use it, I practically put on a hazmat suit.