Menu

Challenging grammar for advanced rising 4th grader

Halcyon

We are using Hake for my older as he needs some review. But I can't figure out what to do with younger.  He likes workbooks, but Hake doesn't seem quite right for him. He tends to "follow the example" if there isn't enough variety in the lesson and thereby learns little. He has done GWG, a diagramming workbook and KISS grammar (which I loved and we might return to, but he doesn't like). 

We might just go with a diagramming workbook such as Diagramming Sentences--that seems to really help him. Any suggestions?

Eugene Moutoux was recommended to me when I was seeking challenging diagramming for my older DS a while back. EmilyGF linked one of his books.

His site: http://www.german-latin-english.com/diagrams.htm His sentences get very challenging! On his web page, there is a link to see his books, and he includes a description and sample of each.

I like MCT overall but have been looking for an all-in-one book that is more advanced, has diagramming, mechanics, independence. I was going to go with Hake 8 but just received AG. I don't know what it is with grammar, but I just want to finish up this subject and not have to think about it year after year, except in the context of writing during the logic stage. MCT progresses slower than I anticipated. I see that with AG student workbook, I can just tear out a number of worksheets and hand them to DD.

I'm really impressed with the new edition of Fix-it Grammar by IEW. My rising 4th grader is using it this summer. In the first book he's already learning how to identify clauses and really think about how the different parts of a sentence work together.

Junior or regular?

Either. We are taking a quick trip through the regular version since it is mostly review--basically we are skimming through two or three units a week. If Hake or MCT isn't working for someone, I would strongly recommend AG.

Not everyone uses advanced to mean the same thing, but in my mind an advanced 4th grader would be able to do the first season of the regular AG at a slow pace. YMMV. :)   Of course Junior AG might be a better choice, I've not seen it.

FWIW, AG reminds me of KISS without all the messy confusion.