Menu

CLE vs Horizons

mom2vikha

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between Horizons 5 and Cle 5 for my DD8 who is done with MM4.  I would need more spira for her as the concepts get deeper. Which is better conceptually? I plan to supplement with Process skills, CWP, Zacarro, LOF fractions twice a week. But also I would like a program with good word problems in it. CLE 500 or Horizons 5.

Please help me out.

I can't compare CLE and Horizons but I did use CLE for several years. Have you looked at the CLE samples online? Is your dd particularly advanced in math? I found CLE's 5th grade math very thorough and rigorous. My advice would be to make sure she's ready for it. Otherwise I love CLE math and recommend it highly!

Hope you get some better responses!

Elise in NC

We decided to go with Horizons next year. My son will be leaving MM4 also. I liked the bright color, the one workbook, the white space, and the mixing up of problems so DS doesn't get "in a groove" and stop thinking. We will add in CWP and Zaccarro on Fridays. 

I have one child in CLE and one in Horizons. They both also use MEP. CLE has more white space and more room to work problems. Horizons is more colorful and fun looking with less space to work problems. I think that what makes or breaks either of these programs conceptually is the teacher/parent. Both programs provide opportunities, but it is really up to the parent to explain things as needed. Neither TM is going to win any awards for explanations. The teaching is all in the student books for both programs.

I can't compare CLE and Horizons but I did use CLE for several years. Have you looked at the CLE samples online? Is your dd particularly advanced in math? I found CLE's 5th grade math very thorough and rigorous. My advice would be to make sure she's ready for it. Otherwise I love CLE math and recommend it highly!

Hope you get some better responses!

Elise in NC

I did give her placement test. She passed it easily. Actually lot of CLE 500 might be review for her. She know prime factorization, LCD,GCF, PRIME/COMPOSITE, 2 digit division ..adding and subtracting unlike etc...But I would like spiral to solidfy those. I also want to make sure that concepts are not lost in between procedural...