Menu

Thank you to the forum for recommending Apples and Pears Spelling...

I have never heard of it anywhere else.  I never WOULD have heard of it if it had not been for you.  

Today, we did level one and already we are uncovering gaps in my daughter's understanding of sounds/phonetics/auditory discrimination, etc.  

It is very very easy to use, and it is not overwhelming.  We should be able to do one level per day or even two through book A.  

I heard about it first here as well. It has been such a great fit for Grace!

Chelli, I was reading your blog about A&P and have a question.  You said that the books printed in the US have the different between British and American spellings corrected.  I have Books C and D (maybe 3 years old) and the British spellings are still there.  I ordered them from the US, and they shipped from somewhere in the US (I don't remember where exactly).  How old are your books, and are they the same size as American books (mine are 8 1/4 x 11 3/4)?

We too love laughing at some of the funny dictation sentences!  One of my favorites is something like: "My mother is getting older but she is still attractive."  Hahahahaha!  My son thought I was spreading propaganda ;)

ETA that I read more in your blog and see that the paper size is different for yours too.  I wonder if they only correct the British spellings in Books A and B, because they certainly aren't corrected in my Books C & D, LOL.  It was easy to work around so not a problem, but it doesn't have me curious as to why some books but not others.

We love Apples and Pears here!  We just finished book C, and the difference in her spelling is noticeable!  We split each lesson into 2 parts as DD's dysgraphia prevented her from accomplishing a whole lesson at a time.  But it was do-able, and it got her to slow down and think before guessing randomly.

And we love the dictation sentences, too!  :lol:

We bought the whole program and only used a few lessons near the middle of level one.....I thought it was right for my daughter, but she is really too old for this program :(

If anyone is looking, I'm very interested in selling!  Let me know!

How old is your dd?  Did she place in Book A through the placement tests?

I haven't used Books A or B but have used Books C and D in High School.  My son (graduated this year) was way ahead in everything else and didn't feel that Books C (done in 11th grade) or D (done in 12th grade) were too young for him.  Obviously, I can't comment on Books A or B.  I just thought I would comment in case it was helpful for anyone who might also have older children who don't have any learning disabilities but are still abysmal spellers, LOL.  My 4th grade dd will be starting Book C next year because she got 100% on the highest placement test (the latest you can start A&P is Book C).  Kids, they are just so different!

I don't they think they are too young for any person. Maybe you should reconsider if your child us still struggling with spelling. They start off very basic but that's why there is a placement test for every ten lessons. You can even use the placement tests backwards! My daughter placed in level 20 but we started in level one because I know her problems were root-deep and she needed to re-learn auditory discrimination. She and I are both happy.

Yesterday she and her best friend were discussing school and her friend said spelling was her favorite subject because it was so easy. Then my dd quizzed her and was very impressed. Then she said "spelling is easy for me too right now because I'm so bad at spelling that my mom bought me a special program that starts out at like Kindergarten level!" And they both laughed.

:)