Menu

Spelling for an older child

tm_burriss

My 6th and 8th graders have horrible spelling. We were working through AAS and have seen some improvement but I was wondering if there was a spelling curriculum or program out there that is more independent and designed more to help them catch up.   Thanks.

Depends on what the issues may be with their spelling.  It could be auditory, visual, processing, lack of exposure, developmental, any number of things....just hopping curriculum might not net you a big change in results.  Do you have any idea where the disconnect might be?

And hugs.  I know this can be frustrating.

It's just a lack of being taught the rules.  They are excellent reader and comprehend well.  They were in public school for a number of years and spelling is one of the subjects that suffered.  They don't have any issues learning it but just need more of a crash course to catch up a little. Does that make sense?  They test 3 grade levels above their current grade in everything but spelling.

Phonetic Zoo.

ETA: Sorry, I was in a rush yesterday. The above is the link to my extensive review on Phonetic Zoo. It is almost completely independent. We have been using it for over 2 years, and we love it. The only part I would need to buy if I wanted my daughter to have a full set when she went through are the personal spelling cards. Frankly, we will just use and index card. All the rest can be used again, and then hopefully I can sell the cd's at the end. (with 6 go throughs the cards might be done at that point. :)

I know that slow and steady is usually best but was just wondering if there was something out there I had heard about for older kids.

It isn't independent, but Spalding is the one thing that I know will bring up spelling skills in a flash. When I used it in my little one-room school, all of my students, some of whom were high school age, improved by as much as three grade levels between August and Christmas.

Spelling through Morphographs. Industrial strength, for older kids (middle/high). I'm going to use it with my 6th grader. You need Teacher Presentation books 1&2 and a student workbook for each. The teacher presentation books are very expensive new through mheonline.com. I bought mine used. I linked to amazon, below.

Placement: https://www.mheducation.ca/school/schoolGraphics/sra_spellingthroughmorphographs.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Spelling-Through-Morphographs-Student-Workbook/dp/0026848651/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405992363&sr=8-2&keywords=Spelling+through+Morphographs

Since you are seeing improvement in spelling using AAS I would recommend sticking with it. I am a big fan of AAS and have two children who struggle with spelling. I tried SO many different programs and AAS was the only one that made the difference. It is parent intensive but doesn't take much time everyday. I can't imagine how it could take more than 15-20 minutes of parental involvement a day. How long have you been using AAS?

Elise in NC