Menu

Looking into circe, relaxed, fun ideas for a high schooler

I'm prepping for my 10th year of homeschooling. My kids will be 11th and 5th grade. I love the ideas and thoughts for a more circe education. I can see how to instill that in a 5th grade setting, but I'm having a harder time seeing it for my Junior. He has plans on attending community college for the first two years and either transferring to a state school or going into the police academy. 

I feel as though school is a burden. I want it to be a great time to spend the last two years of high school together. I want to build up our relationship through books, activities, time well spent. What does this look like? How can i do this while still meeting my personal graduation requirements? 

Don't know how "Circe" it is, BUT...

Even through the high school years, we still read aloud / discussed the classics together for Literature during school hours.

For Shakespeare, we divided up the parts and did it like a "reader's theater" -- GREAT fun. :)

We still had an informal read aloud (no longer worked to do it EVERY night, but still, about 2 evenings a week), and were able to just enjoy a few last books together -- often something humorous and that we all enjoyed, such as PG Wodehouse. Pass the book around, have a bowl of popcorn, relax, and make memories together around good writing.

We watched filmed versions of Shakespeare plays together.

We discussed philosophical ideas and worldview at dinner. The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher was a great conversation starter. Dinner conversations were also a great place for current events discussions, and from there, how virtues and values, choices and consequences apply -- philosophical ideas have real-world consequences, or what we think / believe comes out in our choices and actions.

Driving to/from activities and dual enrollment classes was another important time for us for having the relaxed ability for having far-ranging discussions and building relationship. A great time to discussion virtues and values, current events and how to respond to world and local events, etc. Or, for listening together to Great Books. We didn't rush to get a driver's license at age 16 and send DSs off to drive alone, so we had this great car time up into 11th and even 12th grade.

Volunteering as a family for community service, or working on a big project around the house were also good opportunities for spontaneous discussions of all kinds.

If a Christian, you may want to check out having your DS attend a Worldview Academy or a Summit summer camp -- and you can use the teaching hours towards credit. And then when DS gets back, enjoy some fantastic discussions on what they took away from the lectures and experiences.

I LOVE posts by Nan in Mass, Jenn in CA, and 8FillTheHeart for how real and down-to-earth they are in the ways they informally incorporated, discussed, and enjoyed the classics, developed deep thinking, and expressed virtues and values in their homeschooling and everyday lives with their DC. :)

Examples: Check out past threads on the great car conversations Jenn had with her DSs. Or how Nan developed discussions. Or how 8FillTheHeart creates a class of special interest for a child each year, and walks through it with the child -- last year her 8th grade DD did an in-depth JRR Tolkien study that led to reading many works that influenced him, and exploring some tangential topics through independent research.   :)

To meet your graduation requirements:

- choose books from a list of classics you compiled that you then count towards credit

- discussion, whether informal or formal, counts towards credit

- volunteering looks great for scholarships at the CC, and may also be one of your graduation requirements

- informal philosophy/worldview/current events discussions count towards credit

ENJOY these last 2 years with your older DS! This precious time will fly by fast! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Both of my older two went to Summit WorldView camp. They enjoyed it.

Another thing you might want to do with your students is to take turns being the Devil's Advocate on a controversial issue.

This help you see what you child thinks and a good exercise in training them to think critically.

I didn't read aloud to them at this age, as I was reading to the younger ones so much, but I still made sure I read everything I assigned them. Sharing their horror over St. Augustine repenting over the pear, not so much the hot babes, their realization that The Aeneid was epic-as-propaganda, their contempt for Maxim de Winter, and their sympathy for Malcolm X would not have been possible if I had not read it all with them, kwim? We did not have a set discussion time, but I made sure to find the time a few times a week.

I feel as though school is a burden. I want it to be a great time to spend the last two years of high school together. I want to build up our relationship through books, activities, time well spent. What does this look like? How can i do this while still meeting my personal graduation requirements? 

This is exactly how I feel about my eleventh grader. I want these last two years to be something to cement

our relationship.

I will definitely be following this thread. :D

I definitely approach high school like this with my kids. We have a great time with interesting, thought-provoking conversations.   I love listening to their perspectives and getting a chance to have conversations that really help them formulate the whys behind what they believe.

I achieve these goals through philosophy, lit, and history courses.   For someone needing a simple starting place, short stories are an easy intro to complex ideas.

My time these days is severely limited.   Sorry I can't type out a more thorough response.   But, I definitely encourage you to follow your vision b/c these later high school yr conversations are definitely ones that are precious in my mom memories treasure box.

And here is the thing:  

Sometimes this means you will have to let go of seeking the "perfect transcript" and just enjoy learning with your kids. We ignored developing "the transcript" completely in our household. We just studied what we wanted to, because we were convinced that college was not the "be all and end all."  :)  

You might want to listen to Cindy Rollins' podcast on "Morning Time" on the Circe website.

Fwiw, I don't think it's an either/or situation with teens during their home school years.  In other words, sending them off to do their work doesn't exclude meaningful interactions, etc.  With last dc, we get up most mornings for a two+ mile walk, and everything under the sun is discussed during that time.  We travel to and from lots of rehearsals, etc.; we go shopping together...  We are constantly interacting.

Also, I am involved in school, either teaching or providing input or working alongside dc for subjects like math, English, and Bible for a few hours during the morning because dc either needs help with a subject or I choose materials for us to do together.  Lots of interaction at that time.  I have never called this time "Morning Time," but it's what I have always done, even when I had more children at home.  Then, dc goes off to do independent work. The amount of your involvement/interaction depends on whether you want a subject to independent and choose those types of materials or whether you want to be involved. During the last two years of high school, especially, I have several goals -- foster and treasure our relationship and move dc toward independence since I will not be homeschooling college.  There are other goals, but that's another post.  

Adding this -- a bit off topic perhaps.  Circe's LToW is an excellent way to interact with literature because the invention method generates natural interaction/discussion.  We've tried various lit materials throughout years that fell flat because the discussions were stilted/forced.  In Michael Clay Thompson's Classics in the Classroom, he describes a colleague's first, less-than-successful attempt to lead book talks.  Some people are able to do this naturally, and other people need practice.  The same goes with mentoring writing or helping with math.  I was not good at all with mentoring writing during our first years of homeschooling, but last dc and I really enjoy doing our writing lessons together.  I have improved.  Understanding how to help with math and what materials to use has taken muuuuch longer.

Fwiw, some children want to get their work done as quickly as possible without much input.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Let them have it and cherish their independence.  Your being there is the support they need.